Triple Duece

pyscodog

Well, I went to a local show in T-town today. Picked up a nice little 788 Remington in 222. The stocks been refinished and its missing the rear sight but overall, its pretty clean. Also has a older Bushnell 3x9 scope on it. Stopped by the local reloading shop and got a used set of RCBS dies for 20 bucks and a bag of Winchester brass, so I'll spend some time this evening loading a few test rounds.

Kinda cool, I popped the mag out and it has the previous owners name and social security number engraved on the side of it. Must have been an older guy to do that. My dad did the same thing to a pre 64 Winchester saddle ring. All but killed the value of it but thats the way they did things back then.

Another mag will take care of that, at least it wasn't carved in the stock with notches for each coyote. I love the 222 Rem for coyote hunting.

The mags in great shape and the engraving really doesn't bother me. Just thought it was kinda cool that it was there. Old School. LOL Sure wouldn't do something like that today. The last 222 I bought was a 600 Mohawk and someone punched it out to 223. What a shame that was, but thats what people do. Seeing how the stock has been refinished, I may re-do it again with a Tru-oil finish. I might try to replace the rear sight also. Not so much that I would use it but just to make it complete.

If you don’t mind me asking what did you have to give for it? I have one that is a safe queen that is in great condition and have been considering selling it.

Barney Auston’s record-setting rifle was built on an FN Mauser action with double set trigger, with a Hart stainless steel barrel, 30″ x 1 1/8″, chambered for the .222 Remington cartridge. The stock, made by Auston, has a hydraulic bedder as made by L. F. Landwehr of Jefferson City, MO. The scope is a 24X, 2″ inch Unertl. Mr. Auston shot 50gr bullets, custom made by W. M. Brown of Augusta, Ohio, with .705″ Sierra cups and soft swedged. His powder charge was 21 grains of 4198. The rifle rests, both front and rear, were also made by Auston.

I love the Triple Deuce. I have a custom built on a 722 action with a benchmark barrel 1:14 twist in an HS precision stock that will shoot the 50gr really nice. It looks like the vssf. the 4198 is a good powder but also don't forget the H322.

I have a box of 50 grain Sisk bullets that have been on the shelf for a while. I think I might try some of them in the 788. I have a few rounds loaded with H322 w/40 grain BlitzKings and a few with H4198 w/ 50 grain Bergers. I'm waiting on a decent day to go try those loads out first. Seems lately if its not raining the wind is blowing at gale force.

I had a rem 700 sporter 222 that I shot a 0.082 5shot group useing blc2 with a Barnes 40 grain bullet. That's my best group ever shot but I could consistently shot .200-.300 out of it. It's great cartridge but for coyotes I had issues keeping them anchored down when hit. A heavier bullet might have helped but I shoot a 700 223 with 50gr bullets and that seems to keep them in place when shot.

I have a 722 that I bought used at a pawn shop. IMR 4198, Rel 7 and H322. Small groups with just about any 50 gn bullet. My goto is 50gn vmax and h322. The only bullet that my rifle did not like was 40 vmax boatail 2 inch groups at best. 40 grain sierra flat base done fine.

H322 and the triple deuce always seems to work very well together. I use H322 in my 20-222 with 40 grainers and it puts them into tiny little groups.

It worked pretty good for me today as well. So did H4198. 40 and 50 grain bullets shot good but 52's seemed to open up. Today was just a function test more than accuracy but both turned out better than expected. But I did find out the little Bushnell scope is headed for the trash. I have a Nikon 4-12 setting on the shelf that will replace it. Its also screaming "trigger job"!! The factory 4 1/2 pound trigger is a tad to heavy. Breaks clean but it is heavy!

I love the little 222 as well and have had a couple Remington 722's over the years. My current one is a 722 Deluxe in near pristine condition. Deluxe means it has the hand checkering on the stock.

I can't remember now what my load configuration is the for years I shot the Hornady 50 gr SX and then shot a lot of Nosler gr Ballistic Tips. I have a lot of those loaded up, probably around 300-350 rounds but I got a couple of flashes on coyotes so I went searching for a new load.

I worked up a load using the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade and while I have not shot a coyote with it yet, I think it will prove to be a good little round for it.

Speaking of the guy engraving his name on the magazine, I have the first gun my father bought me and will never get rid of it. It is a Winchester 9422 that he gave me in about 1972. I had a diamond tip pen used for engraving and I engraved, or rather scrawled, my name in the plate covering the lever on the bottom side. I look at it now and just shake my head but I sure was proud of it back then! HAHAHA

Years ago when a hand shake was as good as a contract and people's word were all they had, we could do that sort of thing. Today not such a good idea.

Mine seemed to like H4198 and 40 and 50 grain bullets. I'm just starting load work on my rifle also. H322 showed some decent groups as well.

I use Benchmark, 748 and 2230 in mine, when I won the egg shoot it was Benchmark and 40gr NBT's, 52gr Speers shoot better but don't feed well in my savage action. I use the 52gr Speers in my Sako and Winchester for coyote hunting.

Both IMR4198 and BCL-2 pushing the Sierra 52 grain BTHP work great in my Sako l461 and in an old flat tab safety Remington 700 ADL.

btw - my Sako L461 lightweight rifle is maybe my most favorite rifle. Its a dream to carry and it shoots extremely well with a variety of loads. I wish that Sako quality was still in the range of quality shown in a typical L461, but sadly its not.

Looking forward to pics of targets !
The remington seems to be the more affordable and
Numerous of the 222’s out there

I may be doing myself a disservice by not getting one !
Truth is I have never seen the 788 or 722 in person

Last edited:
“I wish that Sako quality was still in the range of quality shown in a typical L461, but sadly its not.” Winny, what do you mean? Variable quality in L461’s? I’m looking hard at one in 222.

Back