Baiting

A couple nights this week I was able to put the Sightmark Wraith my buddy has been using on my AR. I didn't have any shot opportunities but wanted to share some first hand experience. Bait is north of a grove of trees, field is ripped corn field, mostly snow covered, hard gray crust. Bait is 150 yards out. I haven't been able get my buddy to record any shots, I intended to and recorded several minutes of winter night scenery. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the digital display. Using the factory supplied ir(lowest level), I could have easily seen 250, probably 300 yards plus. I had the IR mount so I could adjust, seemed best with the IR beam slightly out from tightest beam and with the beam "above" a target. The last three my buddy has shot have been 232,155,150 yards. For me the factory supplied mount seems better on an AR than a rem 700. Shortening the length of pull on a bolt gun could help the fit. My buddy needs a padded cheek pad to get a better fit with a HS precision stock on his Rem 700.

ive been using irontron which work pretty well and don't need antenas at 175 yards but if you ever shut off the receiver you have to start it up next to the sensor. I'm going to get the hosmart. Thanks for the info

My wife is playing cards with the girls tonight and im home with the kids. My buddies are out hunting and sending me texts saying they are killing them. I was all depressed so I turned coyote hunting on tv. Decided to check the bait pile and there was a coyote between the pile and my house sitting down in my yard. I told myself "don't F this up again" Bang Flop! I'll see if I can figure out how to post a picture.

Coyote down at 0135. I am sending this via my iphone from my cabin. I heard it howl on the ridge behind the cabin a short distance at around 0115, and about 4-5 minutes later the sensor went off. I saw it was a coyote via the monitor at my bed. When I got to the shooting table and turned on the 4k, it was gone. I looked all around and saw nothing, so I went back to bed. After about 10 minutes the sensor went off again so I got back up and looked through the scope. The coyote was returning from beyond the bait site at about 70 yards, guessing. It took a few steps toward the bait site, didn’t like something and then retreated in a trot, leaving and following the edge line of the field. I took the shot as it was retreating and dropped it with a 70 gr. Blitz King from the 6x45. I then confirmed the kill with the thermal. This one was nervous and didn’t want to commit to the bait. I took what I felt was a last-chance shot. Will post video later when I get it worked up.

Congrats Dozer. Looks like the baby sitting turned out after all.

At times I give fox a pass but not always. This guy has survived three years. He shows up every February and it seems just after fox season closes on the 15th here in NY

49568817558_66a765f6d8_z.jpg

49569540772_16e45c243a_z.jpg

Last edited:

Seems it was a busy night last night. Pmack, those coyotes will be back soon and the new sensor will make things right.

Below are photos and a video link to this morning's coyote. I squeezed the trigger around 0130 this morning. This coyote was very nervous and just didn't want to commit to go down hill to the bait. It turned to leave and I took a quick now-or-never shot that dropped him right there. Later in the morning just before daylight a nice bobcat showed up at the site. I think it's the one that has been hanging around for a while. I got video but didn't shoot him. Maybe I can call him later. I have tried a couple of times to no avail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNywXbi3Dik&feature=youtu.be

The coyote first howled on the knoll behind the cabin near the tall, tan grass in the distance. A few minutes later he made his way to the bait site but remained up
on the hill and would not go down to the bait. This one was rubbed pretty much near it's neck and shoulder.

49571190126_fa12de9975_b.jpg

The 4-wheeler helps get gear to the cabin and back, plus helps with dragging the coyote out.

49570687048_aa54ba5110_b.jpg

49571190071_cf176a00d5_b.jpg

I am liking the 4k scope more and more all the time. It's a great bait site scope in my opinion. The rifle is a 6x45 Dtech, great shooter. I used a
Sierra 70 gr. Blitz King that dropped it on the spot with no exit.

49571190016_e9b85b1581_b.jpg

New sensor never went off, I had coyotes, fox and coons on and off from 630 on. Hopefully just my fault putting sensor too far. At 1AM before heading to bed I let my lab out front and she immediately took off around the house. A quick check out the back door with thermal I have a coyote at bait and another just in the woods but my lab is no where to be seen. Think she just caught wind of neighbors cat and I find her in the front yard and get her in. I notify the wife of the imminent bang but it takes 3 camera cycles to finally be able to shoot. Wasn't the best of shots but when I had her broadside the camera wasn't running. I pulled it a little left and the bullet entrance was in close proximity to the coyote exit hole if your following me.

Last edited:
Congrats to all on some fine coyote shooting. Way to go!
6mm- the one you shot appeared to be darker in color. Do most run that color phase in your area or does it seem to vary?
I 've had no sign of any coyote back around my bait piles but still waiting....I put the last of my freezer bait out this week, so once the BOPs get done picking on it there won't be much left for predators. I've been focusing on coons to finish out the season.
Keep the pics and vids coming guys!

Gobbler, color seems to vary somewhat, but I do seem to get a good number of darker ones with gray like salt / pepper color. This season especially has produced dark ones, such as on page 244 of this forum. Years ago when I first began calling, I called a beautiful black one practically into my lap and let it get away. It had some gray / white on its face but mainly black. That was maybe 3-4 miles by crow flight from our mountain farm. A trail camera on the farm sometime later also got a video of what appeared to be a solid black one. That was years ago and I haven’t seen a black one since, but I think the gene is in the area. I do get the typical red / brown colored ones too.

Stuff happens dozer, just don't ask me how I know. I don't want the bleeding to start again.

Slow motion says your shot broke a touch low and back.

Last edited:
Back