Are there left hand AR actions?

Dave2

I've never owned or shot a LH gun of any kind, but I shoot left handed and don't know if I want brass flying by my face from a AR. I have never had a desire to own a AR but that attitude has changed.

Are they manufactured?

Has anyone here shot both LH and RH, am I worrying about nothing?

I'm wanting .223 or .243 for ranch rifle and predator control.

Thanks for your help.

My brother has a lefty Stag, and likes it. He shoots right-hand uppers, too. Not sure how much it matters to him, but think he prefers his lefty.

I shoot both. I have two lefties I shoot a lot and two more ready to build. I've shot right handed uppers for decades and have never had an issue on the ejection. My gut tells me the extra bucks for the LH isn't really worth it particularly when you start looking for extra bolts and Bach's. Additionally if you ever expect a resale the price goes down.

Greg

I’m a lefty an have only shot RH rifles my whole life. The only rifle a lefty shouldn’t shoot is an M-1 Garand (brass to the forehead and a smashed thumb). The ARs and Mini-14s throw the brass at 3-4 o’clock.

Rock River has Lefty models available. I'm a lefty, and only shoot right handed guns. On my ARs, I put an ambi mag release, and an ambi safety. I've never had brass be an issue.

I get a bit more blow back with an AR in RH shooting suppressed than with the LH, but an adjustable gas block takes care of that, and I shoot with glasses so not an issue really. I don't think the LH AR adds anything if you go with Ambi safety.

If you get an ambidextrous Upper from Bear Creek Arsenal you can have your cake and eat it too as far as resale value and where the charging handle is. You just still have the right side eject.

Also a lefty...

I don't own a left handed gun of any type. I've never had an issue with an AR kicking brass in my face either. Like others have mentioned, get an ambi safety and you're set. My lowers are fully ambidextrous, but I'm so used to right handed lowers, that I never use the mag release or bolt release.

Nice group?
thumbup1.gif

Greg

My niece and nephew are left handed (thankfully their youngest sister has better sense) and my sis and BIL are starting them on the AR of late. With an interest of preserving their safety, I’m putting together a lefty rifle with a Stag upper and BCG.

I shoot left handed also. I have Stag and Bear Creek LH uppers. To me it is worth the little bit extra to have the left hand AR's. I shoot right handed uppers also, if I have to, but for me the lefties are the way to go. I still prefer a rh bolt gun, but I haven't shot enough left hand bolts to get used to them.

For the lefties that shoot a right side eject, does the gas blow back in your face? Sounds like the brass will miss you but it sounds risky? If used at night for coyote is there a flash coming out the side that messes up vision through a thermal or NV scope?

Originally Posted By: DarknightFor the lefties that shoot a right side eject, does the gas blow back in your face? Sounds like the brass will miss you but it sounds risky? If used at night for coyote is there a flash coming out the side that messes up vision through a thermal or NV scope?

I've never been hit by brass or caught any gas in the face. That's from shooting them since the 80s with around 40 uppers in over 15 various chamberings. I even have shot some slick sides with no deflector without issue.

Greg

Good to know, thanks. So what's the greatest flattest-shooting caliber for night coyote hunting these days? Everyone still big on the 5.56/223 or I hear about that 22 Nosler and 6.5 Creedmores and 6x65? And, and, and...
What do guys like for fur friendly (whatever that REALLY means) flat-shooting rounds for night vision/thermal coyote hunting within 300 yds? In a black, evil AR platform, of course...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Dave2I've never owned or shot a LH gun of any kind, but I shoot left handed and don't know if I want brass flying by my face from a AR. I have never had a desire to own a AR but that attitude has changed.

Are they manufactured?

Has anyone here shot both LH and RH, am I worrying about nothing?

I'm wanting .223 or .243 for ranch rifle and predator control.

Thanks for your help.

While there are plenty of lefty uppers and lowers available you also need a lefty bolt. Those are a bit harder to come by. There are ledty 223/556 bolts but not 6.5 grendels, etc...

Back