Why Not to Trade for and AR

Notch Johnson

I currently call with an X-bolt in .204. It shoots well, but I am looking at suppressors now. With the cost to thread the barrel on my X-bolt, I thought it might be the time to switch to an AR in .204. With limited options in 204, it looks like that would have to be a build, which I haven't done myself, but have some folks that could help me through it. I was also looking at the benefit of a collapsible stock for my 8 year old to shoot it. I've called in pairs on two different occasions for him this winter, but he hasn't quite made it happen yet.

My question is, what do you guys see as a drawback to making the switch from a bolt gun to an AR, specifically in .204? Yes, I am stuck on .204. Most of my shots are on called coyotes, and relatively close. Obviously I take the longer shots, if the situation is right. I shoot prairie dogs on occasion, but only one or two trips a year. I don't reload, and have been shooting 32 grain Dogtown ammo, but just bought a case of Federal 40 grain Nosler BTs. I would prefer to use the 40s on coyotes, if it shoots well. Thanks in advance.

Just built a 204 AR in the fall. Brother bought me a BlackHole Weaponry 10 twist barrel. Shoots great suppressed with the same 35 Berger load as my bolt gun. The bolt gun is pretty much retired for calling, now. Zero drawback for me. I shoot my AR's way more than my bolts.

I also prefer an adjustable stock. My oldest doesn't need it, now, but my next two will.

AND an AR is easy and fun to put together even without help.

Where in NE are you? I'm in the panhandle close to Alliance.

No drawbacks to AR's for me, but opinions vary. I'd definitely try one before I traded. I don't currently have an AR in 204 but I think about it alot. One issue with most barrels is the twist rate might not shoot the 40's well. If you custom order a barrel with a 1-11 or 1-10 twist that won't be an issue?

I am in the northeast, just outside of Crofton. A little different country that what you get to hunt, but we can still find a few coyotes.

I’ve shot scoped ARs quite a bit, but never hunted with one. I have been reading that the 1 in 10 barrels do seem to stabilize the 40 grain bullets better. I haven’t found a lot of barrel options out there, but the ones I have found seem to be pretty good quality with good reviews.

Merdit, do you have a ballpark price on what it cost you to build your AR? I see a couple of the sponsors on here also sell 204 barrels and I haven’t heard any bad reviews of them either.

Hey Notch, welcome to Predator Masters.

I switched from a CZ bolt to an AR about 10 years ago when I won one in the Predator Masters Egg Shoot. Though it took a few hunts for me to get comfortable with the AR (I had never really shot one before), I love it now and haven't gone back to a bolt gun as my primary calling rifle. Now I'm shooting a suppressed .223 in one of Mo's Predator Technology Group ARs and love it.

In case you didn't see his banner, Mo specializes in predator hunting ARs, and has built a bunch in .204. He knows what he's doing and can likely tailor a rifle to exactly your style of calling. And, he has even been known to take buyers out for a test hunt to make sure they're happy! Full service rifle shopping.

Originally Posted By: DesertRamHey Notch, welcome to Predator Masters.

I switched from a CZ bolt to an AR about 10 years ago when I won one in the Predator Masters Egg Shoot. Though it took a few hunts for me to get comfortable with the AR (I had never really shot one before), I love it now and haven't gone back to a bolt gun as my primary calling rifle. Now I'm shooting a suppressed .223 in one of Mo's Predator Technology Group ARs and love it.

In case you didn't see his banner, Mo specializes in predator hunting ARs, and has built a bunch in .204. He knows what he's doing and can likely tailor a rifle to exactly your style of calling. And, he has even been known to take buyers out for a test hunt to make sure they're happy! Full service rifle shopping.

Thanks, I'll look at his site as well.

I was a big 17 Rem fan when the 204 Ruger hit the market, and the idea of a 20 cal laser caught my eye. I bought a bolt gun, but kinda fell flat with it. I went through a couple bolt guns over the next few years, and just never quite found my happy place with the 204R. Then about 7yrs ago, a customer requested I build a 204 Ruger AR, and during the load development for that rifle, I finally found my spark. I built a 22” 204 R AR for myself the following winter. I do wish I’d ordered it threaded for a suppressor or at least a linear compensator, but it’s still one of my favorite combinations, especially for pdogs, and long range pasture varmints like bunnies and crows.

I likely won’t buy another 204R bolt gun, but I’m glad to keep a 204 AR around.

Originally Posted By: Notch Johnson
Merdit, do you have a ballpark price on what it cost you to build your AR? I see a couple of the sponsors on here also sell 204 barrels and I haven’t heard any bad reviews of them either.

Well, since my brother gave me the barrel as a gift, the most valuable part was free, but let me guess here:

BHW Barrel: approx. $300

Bear Creek side charge upper w/ bcg, Matrix handguard, JBO Adjustable gas block, Rifle length Gas tube.
So, $230ish (plus barrel) on the upper.

I probably have $270ish in this lower to make it what I wanted. Billet lower, RRA trigger w/ lighter springs, Ergo parts kit, Magpul stock, Armaspec buffer. I had all the parts but the barrel sitting waiting in a stash, bought at sale prices.

Add in a scope mount for $50-80

You can build cheaper, all depends on what you really want. You probably have a good idea since you've shot ARs plenty.

I wouldn't be afraid to hit up the sponsors here, myself. I just like to tinker, so it suits me to piece them together.

There is zero draw back to an AR imo. A quality AR can be put together for about 325 to 350 bucks plus a barrel and a trigger upgrade. As others have stated go 11 or 10 on twist if you plan to shoot 40s.

Last edited:
Merdit, that gives me a much better idea of about what I can expect. I am not looking to do it on the cheap, but would like to save money where I can. I want a good barrel and trigger, I'll shop around from there. Thanks guys!

I love mine! 11 twist barrel suppressed. Negatives are: having to use a brass catcher or lose brass; the brass and bolt get really dirty suppressed; ARs are tougher on brass (shorter life, at least that is what I read.), and as stated above they aren’t as quiet as a bolt gun. So for a LOT of shooting like prairie dogs I use a bolt gun, but for night calling or quick follow up shots I use my ARs. They are great for kids with easy maneuverability and LOP adjustment.

Originally Posted By: bmashI love mine! 11 twist barrel suppressed. Negatives are: having to use a brass catcher or lose brass; the brass and bolt get really dirty suppressed; ARs are tougher on brass (shorter life, at least that is what I read.), and as stated above they aren’t as quiet as a bolt gun. So for a LOT of shooting like prairie dogs I use a bolt gun, but for night calling or quick follow up shots I use my ARs. They are great for kids with easy maneuverability and LOP adjustment.

Definitely right on the negatives. I'm so tickled with the upsides that I neglect the downsides, but they do actually exist. Glad you mentioned them.

Originally Posted By: bmashI love mine! 11 twist barrel suppressed. Negatives are: having to use a brass catcher or lose brass; the brass and bolt get really dirty suppressed; ARs are tougher on brass (shorter life, at least that is what I read.), and as stated above they aren’t as quiet as a bolt gun. So for a LOT of shooting like prairie dogs I use a bolt gun, but for night calling or quick follow up shots I use my ARs. They are great for kids with easy maneuverability and LOP adjustment.

Those all make sense. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARWhere in NE are you? I'm in the panhandle close to Alliance.

No drawbacks to AR's for me, but opinions vary. I'd definitely try one before I traded. I don't currently have an AR in 204 but I think about it alot. One issue with most barrels is the twist rate might not shoot the 40's well. If you custom order a barrel with a 1-11 or 1-10 twist that won't be an issue? Originally Posted By: 204 ARWhere in NE are you? I'm in the panhandle close to Alliance.

No drawbacks to AR's for me, but opinions vary. I'd definitely try one before I traded. I don't currently have an AR in 204 but I think about it alot. One issue with most barrels is the twist rate might not shoot the 40's well. If you custom order a barrel with a 1-11 or 1-10 twist that won't be an issue? and all this time 204 AR I just assumed my fellow Cornhusker had a 204 Remington R-15!

Originally Posted By: ttedb3Originally Posted By: 204 ARWhere in NE are you? I'm in the panhandle close to Alliance.

No drawbacks to AR's for me, but opinions vary. I'd definitely try one before I traded. I don't currently have an AR in 204 but I think about it alot. One issue with most barrels is the twist rate might not shoot the 40's well. If you custom order a barrel with a 1-11 or 1-10 twist that won't be an issue? and all this time 204 AR I just assumed my fellow Cornhusker had a 204 Remington R-15!

No, my first "custom" ar was a 26" full bull 204 turned from a Shilen blank. Deadly! But the bore looks like alligator hide after several thousand rounds and accuracy degraded too much and I sadly disassembled it a couple years ago. I would love another R-15 to match my 30 RAR but haven't found the right deal lol.

Back