22 Nosler Upper

wherdog

I am contemplating the idea of getting a 22 Nosler upper for my ar-15. Wanting for shooting coyotes out to 400 yards. Can anyone help me out with what length barrel and brand to get? I was thinking of at least a 22 inch. Also, I am not planning on reloading so curious as to what availability and cost of ammo looks to be in this caliber. Is dogtown still producing ammo for this? Also if anyone has any links to websites for ordering. I do shoot mostly a 22-250 bolt while coyotes hunting. I am looking to increase my power and distance instead of using my regular 223 ar-15.

22" White Oak Armament 12 twist.
Mine shoots dogtown 55s sub moa at 100 along with 55 ballistic tips, 55 blitzking and 55 blitz and 50 ballistic tips.
I know a couple other guys with 12 twist white oaks and they all shoot great.

I've not chronoed the dogtown but factory nosler 55 ballistic tips are right at 3500.

Last edited:
With all this said I have a BCA dual charging upper with an 8 twist 22" std contour target crown poly 3 rifling rifle +2 gas bhw barrel and 15" mlok presma handguard complete upper. I would part with. It shoots 55 dogtown at or under and inch for 5 shots. Upper has maybe 300 possibly 400 sounds through it. $450 would probably get it to your door. I'm looking into a back up thermal scope so am considering selling a few items.

Last edited:
Odin Works all day long. Yes, they are more expensive, but the complete upper I bought is extremely accurate and has functioned perfectly with close to 1000 rounds through it.

Does Odin Works offer any other length than 18"? That 4" of barrel cost atleast 120 ish or more fps. Being the 22 Nosler is more of a speed cartridge I could never sacrifice barrel length putting it back down to or under longer barrel .223 speeds. The eight twist just seemed a bit fast for me as well when shooting 55 ish grain bullets. Everything seems to be leaning towards fast twist and long high BC bullets these days.

Last edited:
I’ll second the 22” barrel. Mine is also White Oak Armament, but in a 8 twist. Has been shooting the factory 55 grain BT from
Nosler very well. Also, but with limited experience, it shot the 62 gr FBHP Varmageddon well.

What are some velocities from 22 nosler?

I'm thinking of 18"-22" upper for a little further shots. I'm having a hard time deciding between ether 22 nosler or 6x6.8.

Then really looking at the numbers I'm not sure I can justify it. My current 223 16" BHW is shooting 65gr SGK at 3140 fps and 53gr TSX at 3470 fps.

Max load of cfe 223 and 55s is basically 3500 in my 22" 12 twist. Maybe little under in cooler weather. Like 3330 ish in an 8 twist 18" stoner.
Book max varget with 55s is super accurate but only 3300 with 55 bts out of the 22"
Factory Nosler 55 bt's are basically the same speed as cfe 223 55 load.
Max load of h4895 and 50 bt's was 3608 5 shot average and very accurate as well.

Last edited:
I shoot 60 grain NBT in mine and the accuracy is excellent. I don't get hung up on a small loss of velocity, when accuracy is that good.

Some of these numbers have me scratching my head. My 16" 223 is matching or beating some of these numbers, granted it's polygonal twist and I've gone way off the reservation with load data but pressures are completely reasonable.

When I say Max load I mean book Max I've never pushed too much beyond.
If a 16 inch 223 out running a 22 inch 22 Nosler seems to defy the laws of physics lol.

Last edited:
I have a white oak 22n with a 20” barrel and 1-8”twist I was shooting 55’s 3570. Factory dogtown 55’s 3400. I have two white oak uppers and they are both very accurate.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223When I say Max load I mean book Max I've never pushed too much beyond.
If a 16 inch 223 out running a 22 inch 22 Nosler seems to defy the laws of physics lol.

I agree! I'm trying to figure this out, I just shot a pair of 53 TSX at 316 yards and they droped ~10.50 inches and hit an inch apart, around 0 degrees. They've been doing this all winter.

Back