Gun Auction

Iowa1

Anybody out there feel like they got a good buy at a gun auction in the last 10 years. Not me. Seems like guys loose all common sense once the Auctioneer starts chanting!

Haven't been to one in years. Used to be you could go to an estate/farm auction and get good buys depending on who was there bidding. Sometimes stuff went 50% or less of value, sometimes 100% or more than value. They would almost always go high when someone with a Blue book of gun values showed up. They would see a published premium price and think something in 60% condition and non matching serial numbers and such was worth it. Of course the internet has changed all of that now with the ease of knowledge.
I put a bunch of guns (50ish) into an auction 30yrs ago and every one of them went over value. Was a well know collection in the same auction and people had came from all over. Think some just had money burning a hole in their pocket.
Good day for me.

Last edited:
I bought a new CZ 22 Hornet a couple of months ago and the dealer I got it from said gun sales had slowed way down so I had hoped that meant gun auctions would get more reasonable. Pipe dream probably!!

Depends from what I've seen over the last decade or so. Normal, factory, in-good-shape guns (including factory collectibles) bring too much usually, up to maybe $700-800, more on the factory collectibles. Get over $1000, all the redneks back off, and only serious buyers, collectors and dealers are left. Antiques, unusual collectibles, and oddities you just never know on. Most public sales run too high for my liking, but I've watched some incredible deals go down, esp. after the recent economic downturn, and usually, as noted, not on normal run of the mill factory models. A few years ago, there was an older fella passed away near here. Not many people knew him, and he was into a lot of old type firearms and shooting and collectibles stuff - and black powder benchrest. I watched (whilst I was broke due to the aforementioned recent economic downturn - was there for entertainment purposes) a blackpowder-type dealer buy what was prob about $20,000 (new price) blackpowder firearms - benchrest BP rifles and pistols, custom longrifle, etc. for about $300/pc average for 17 pieces - wrote a $5200 check out on the way out the door. Hardly anybody knew what they even were. Auctioneer's listing was prob fairly uninforming also. But the redneks were paying $500 for factory Lyman and TC flintlocks (we have a flintlock-only season here in PA)!!! Nuts, I say! And there I stood with my hands in my pockets and no credit!! LOL!! Watched a factory Swedish carbine go for $450 once, and a 44-40 Rem 14 1/2 for $300 I believe - same deal, entertainment, no free cash. That sale bill was poorly listed too - they didnt know what they had. I dont go to many lately, but may start again, when I have time - that aforementioned economic downturn is fading w/ Mr. Trump in office....thankfully.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsAround here, gun auctions bring, as new prices.

I cannot even remember when it was the last one I attended. I saw a flier for an estate auction that had a lot of guns on it. Old S&W and Colts, shotguns and deer rifles. There was an 870 Wingmaster that I wanted so figured what the heck and went. Should have stayed home. After all the house stuff was gone and then farm implements were sold they finally got to the guns. The older (not all old though) guns went WAY more than I even had dollars on me and the 870 went for more than I could buy a new one for. I got me the 870 a bit latter on at a local pawn shop for half what it went for at the auction.

Last edited:
Old WingMaster's aren't in the same league as the new ones though. That was a real shotgun. Just happen to have one in the gun cabinet! It ain't going nowhere either. But...as far as auctions go, I don't even bother going as I know people will spend way more than something is worth. Tried buying a used bicycle at a police auction. May as well buy new, it will be cheaper.

Yeah! I remember when all 870's were Wingmasters. A couple decades ago they started offering cheaper 870's that were more affordable. My buddy has two of them and while they are OK I'm like...what's the point? If you are going to shoot a Remington 870 then get a Wingmaster and be done with it instead of wishing that you had bought one in the first place.

Last edited:
It's hit or miss in our area, mostly miss! At the last gun auction I went to, along with a young buddy who wanted a 600 Rem. Mag. in .350, the prices of multiple 600 & 660's, that weren't really that nice, went for the same price as really nice ones. He passed, at my advice, and eventually did find a pretty nice one at another auction for around $400 less than the Magnums were selling for at the other auction.
PATIENCE!
Just a couple of years ago I went to a somewhat local auction where a 660 6.5 Rem. Mag. was advertised, I didn't get the gun but I got the ammo for it. Bet whoever bought it wishes he had bought the ammo also. I have plenty, but for that particular caliber I will add to my stash whenever I find it at a reasonable price.

Sounds the same everywhere. I like auctions, but seems like if there's a gun I'm after, I end up leaving po'd and swear to give auctions up!

Originally Posted By: DannoBooneIn my area, auctions have become attractions for those with more
money than intelligence, no matter what is up for sale.

Guns shows aren't much different.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog
Guns shows aren't much different.

Boy aint that the truth. Used to be you could find some really good deals there. Now, not hardly at all. Still some here and there but so few and far between now. Not even worth going to.

For sure gun shows aren't near as enjoyable as they were in the 80's and 90's A lot fewer guns and a lot more accessories for the AR rigs. Nothing against them, just less and less old school stuff.

Might as well go to the local gun store. I have a Spanish made sxs 410 that I gave 150 for in the 70's seen an exact match for it at a gun show, price $1400.

I usually go for the ammo as its sold last and by then, nobody has any money left and i get good deals on surplus stuff to flip or shoot for myself. I did get a good deal on a Spanish FR8 and a fair deal on a very clean Winchester 94 in 30-30. Not a bad deal on a Boy Scout Marlin 25N i believe that had a medallion in the stock. Usually stuff goes for 130% of value and these guys around here dont seem to account for the premiums and taxes.

Probably a good idea Zastava223rem ! I bet by the time the ammo comes around a lot of guys have already left frustrated. I know I never stick around that long!

Yeah, its a game of patience for sure but its paid off for me many times. Sometimes you catch the crowd sleeping and sometimes you swear youll never come back lol

Back