Baiting

Fine shooting DU. dozer sounds like that coyote is on borrowed time. Nothing but possums and foxes for us here as of late.

Last edited:
some ranchers around here breed there cows to calf in late jan. and feb.good idea to check with cow men at this time as the will lose both cows and calves birthing. they will just drag them out somewhere could be a good spot to watch and or call as coyotes won't be far away.

Ed

Originally Posted By: gobblergetterDU - Nice shot....guess you could say you stole her heart Ha, ha!
Dozer - keep your gun loaded or it's just a pencil with no lead. 😁

While I agree that an empty gun is like an empty fire extinguisher, having a 1 year old and 2 year old on the house prompts me to operate on the safe side

Gobbler, that old guy must of had a difficult time eating. I love to hear coyotes howl. I think you will have a coyote on the ground soon.

It was spitting rain tonight and threatening to do worse, but mostly just stayed as a wet mist. We decided not to go tonight, but about 7:30 I decided to go out and set up behind my shop out of the mist and make a few howls thinking if one was anywhere within earshot it might make a visit later on during the night. Didn't hear anything and only saw a couple of red fox hunting out in the field.

About 9:30 I decided to scan the field and saw a pair of coyotes coming from way at the back of the field heading up toward me. I waited until they got close enough to kill at 240 yds. I shot the back one which was the female thinking the front one might stop to look back, but he never slowed down all the way to the woods. He will probably return sometime late in the night looking for his mate, but I won't be up then. Here is a picture of the female in the Meat Wagon. I'll post up the video shortly. Was hoping for a double but didn't work out.

IMG_0596 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the video:

Last edited:
Thanks to Pa Mick, we have snow in the forecast for tonight. Anyway I got up just about first light (6:30 A.M.), and on a hunch I decided to look out in the field. Low and behold, a fresh face in the field. I could tell with light coming on, she was getting ready to haul butt for the woods. Killed her at 233 yds. It turned out to be an average size female, but I do appreciate her being a volunteer. I'll post the short video in the Night calling section.

IMG_0600 by Double Up, on Flickr

Here is the short video:

DU you are putting a hurting on them.

I had the alarm going off all night for coons. I felt like I had a new born baby again. At 4am on the dot the alarm went off and there was a coyote in the bait pile, broadside. Gun was loaded o nthe way to the window. I must have jerked the trigger so hard because the gun went off with the cross hairs over its back. The coyote was teed up perfect and I shanked it. Pretty disgusted with myself. In laws are coming this weekend and they sleep in our living room , aka my shooting room, so I probably wont do any shooting this weekend.

Dozer, I know the pain. When you know you let a chip shot slip by, it sticks with you. You just have to move on to the next one. We've all done it.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpDozer, I know the pain. When you know you let a chip shot slip by, it sticks with you. You just have to move on to the next one. We've all done it.

X2 ^^ We had a visitor last night. Couldn't get the video to start but my wife said she felt good about the shot. The usual high humidity white out in the NV made telling which way it left tough. Lots of hair and some blood at the impact site but then nothing after that. We looked for and hour with the scanner and then another hour this morning grid searching. NADA. First time the 53 gr VMAX has failed to make one dead. Some have travelled a short distance but been recovered. This one eluded us.

Hi Doubleup. how long does the battery charge last on the sensor and do you know how cold they will operate in? they say they will work up to 1/2 a mile.also does the base have volume control?

Last edited:
I have been recharging them about every 6 months, but they are supposed to last for a year before needing a charge. I have not seen any indication of any of them having a low charge which shows up on the receiver.

I don't know about cold weather. We aren't all that cold here, and rarely get under the 20's.

I have used them at 155 yds. but don't know how much further they might reach. I doubt 1/2 mile but haven't tried it.

The receiver does have a volume control.

Back