CCI 22LR Stingers for coyote ?

zeke32

Was wondering if anyone has experience with these and how they work. 22lr stingers. Shots would be inside 50 yards. Thanks for any info

Thanks Marco
thumbup1.gif

Headshots with a 22lr, best done with a solid. Been there done that. HP's tend to flatten on the skull and you may have some dogs wake up. Body shots mean lost dogs.

Tried them many years ago but they didn't shoot to good in my 10-22.Of course with today's .22Lr shortage I'd buy some anyway.That hold's true with few exceptions.The Stingers should do better in my BV as everything else has.

Try the segmented HP if you can find em. They're nasty terminally. They split up when they hit and make multiple wound channels and put a hurting on anything they hit.

The Stingers are good rounds too. Nice and quick with decent terminal performance, IME. I really like the 36 gr mini-mags. They seem to do a real good job of killin'!

Originally Posted By: zeke32I have 150 rounds that have just been sitting in the safe so might as well put them to work

And I'd feel better putting multiple rounds on target. CNS seems like the only logical shot, to me. Break the spine or scramble the grey matter...

Originally Posted By: marcoStingers will work!

They certainly will. Took out a vicious dog with one once. One shot in the chest was all he needed.

Had I known he was going to come at me I would rather had my 870 pump in my hands but my Ruger 10/22 was what I was holding so that's what I used.

Do you have other options? You will lose some of your coyotes shot with the Long Rifle cartridge. You'll kill some but the percentage that run off and are very difficult to recover will be excessively high.

At effective 22lr ranges, I'd rather have a shotgun...IMO.

If you're stuck with a 22lr, I think I'd keep it to 30-40 yards max. And I use a semi-auto and pull the trigger until he's down.

Pahntr I love them segmented they are cci quickshock and while not moa I've taken many ground hogs out to 100 yards and all but a few have been drt but of course that depended on shot placement but at that range would make a exit hole about golf ball size great round and they are identical to the stingers other than the bullet.

And to add the casing is just a tad longer on both of them and if running them through a auto I'd be careful as they can ruin the buffer block which is made of nylon. Please don't ask how I know .being just a bit more recoil than regular rounds .

Good luck and keep us informed on how they work,
Scott

I counsel against it. Yes, Stingers will kill coyotes, but they cannot be counted on for clean humane kills even at close range. In my (not so humble) opinion the .22 Hornet is the minimal coyote round. I know many people shoot them with Stingers and .22 WRM. I've even met a few who swear by those rounds, though I've never met anyone with much real world hunting experience who did. Try it if you must, but expect a lot of run offs.

Remember that Stingers and others are plated lead bullets. Velocity over 1150 or so is going to put down some lead deposits in your barrel, so clean the bores with good 22 RF brushes from time to time.

Shooting Super high velocity 22 rf can pay off, but you have to count the cost, Consider the CCI Velocitors, Aguila, and Winchester super velocity, all 40g instead of the 29g Stingers. The heavier bullet will equal more penetration. You have to of course see if your rifle will accurately shoot SUPER HV ammo. I have had exceptional luck with cci MINi Mag HP, in 40g hp, but never shot them on coyotes.

I killed a LOT of coyotes in Az with a Ruger all weather 22 mag shooting Win 40g HP, they kill very well, gun will never be sold.

Stingers, Velocitors, Aguila, new Winchester HV(1375) foul a barrel pretty quick, perhaps within 40 rounds, so keep your barrel clean. Master the High Velocity ammo, barrel fouling tendencies, and drop. I sight mine in at 100, know the drop at 50, done.

For those that never clean your 22 RF, good luck with spray and pray! It is better to think, "One shot, One kill"

My custom Ruger 10/22 will shoot sub 1" groups at 100 yards in the calm with clean barrel, cci standard velocity.

In my custom Ruger 10/22, CCI mini mag hp shoots 1.5" at 100, calm and clean. Stingers shoot 4" groups at 100. Accuracy in a top grade barrel is GONE in 50 rounds of Stingers. At 100 yards, I am confident that 90% of all coyotes shot in the lungs will be dead within 250 yards, which means that I find few if any of them. At 30 yards, the recovery would be greater. At what point I am more productive using a 12ga shotgun with appropriate choke and shot vs a 22 RF, I don't know. I would opt for the shotgun without reservations.

For the average guy, cci 40g mini mag hp is a LOT better option over the Super Velocity rounds, but you have to shoot up what you have. The mini mags keep the gun accurate longer.

Back during the last jack rabbit population explosion, we shot untold thousands of jack rabbits with 22 RF. We shot a LOT of stinger ammo and I bought it by the case. Shooting a lot of Stinger ammo is where we learned how the stingers foul the barrels. Stingers killed jack rabbits better than the Mini Mag Hp at 100-125 yards. Our problem was how to keep the guns accurate, up and running for a weeks hunt. The answer was RWS sub sonic HP, they kill very well on jack rabbits.

You Tube has a bunch of videos on Velocitor, Stinger, Aguila, and others.

I did some research on the CCI Velocitors that are loaded with a Gold Dot bullet. The Gold Dot maybe a jacketed bullet with the lead bonded to the core, if it is, their marketing dept dropped the ball in it's advertising. A jacketed bullet in a 22 RF would be a HUGE plus in keeping lead fouling down to a minimum. Further research is needed.

From the CCI web site on the Velocitors:

22 LR Velocitor AMMUNITION

FEATURES & BENEFITS
40 grain gilded hollow point nose at 1435 ft/sec
22 percent greater energy at 100 yards than regular
high-speed hollow points
Special HP cavity design, derived from Speer® Gold Dot®
technology, retains virtually 100 percent bullet weight
Clean-burning propellants keep actions cleaner
Sure-fire CCI priming
Reusable plastic box with dispenser lid

Velocitor # 0047
Caliber
Bullet Weight (gr)
Bullet Type
Box Count
22 LR
CPHP

Velocity, ft/sec
Muzzle
50 yards
75 yards
100 yards

Energy, ft-lbs
Muzzle
50 yards
75 yards
100 yards

Trajectory if sighted at 75 yards
25 Yards
50 yards
75 yards
100 yards

Last edited:
I was just about to bring up the velocitors but it looks like ackleyman beat me to it. Velocitors are what I use on the few instances that I use a 22 for coyote hunting.

Back