Ground Squirrel Hunting

Mr Elwood

Hello everyone, I'm new to the Forum so thanks for having me.

I just read some articles on Ground Squirrel hunting in North East California and Idaho and was wondering if anyone had information on how to go about getting in on some hunts. I'm looking for something free since these are considered vermin and the farmers need them thinned out but would consider a small fee if that's all I can find.

I can't seem to find a contact to get permission to hunt them or a low fee Guide....

Any information or advice would be welcomed... Thanks

Get a map!
Any BLM land if it's open to shooting at the time Is FREE.
If you find some ground and there are no restrictions on shooting them such as a season, you will find a Ground squirrel or Pdogs. No permission required. Check with the state to see if any permits are needed too.
It's that simple.

We hunted a couple big ranches east of Elko Nevada all you have to do is knock on some doors. We never got turned away from any of them.

In north eastern CA you can find them in Alturas, CA. The Alturas Ranch charges $20 for the year in 2019. Over the mountain in Cedarville there are many ranches that have sage rats. Last year both areas were flooded out so there were no squirrels. I have not checked this year.

I am headed to Nevada in 3 weeks to shoot "sage rats" as we call them in Oregun. AKA "squeekers".
There is an outfitter in Winemucca that charges $20/person to put you on private rat fields.

Originally Posted By: crittr gittrWe hunted a couple big ranches east of Elko Nevada all you have to do is knock on some doors. We never got turned away from any of them.

What are the best times to go in that area? I know alfalfa fields are the primary hunting areas, so wouldn't it have to be timed before the first crop gets up too high? Also, what time frame would the first cutting be where it would be good shooting again?

Again my first trip to NV but here in Oregon April and May are the best months. I watch the weather and won't go unless its to be sunny and warmer. My trip time is based on meeting a brother for another purpose or I would go later. Mid April the alfalfa still pretty low. Cutting time is weather dependent... if you can call the farmer for cutting time thats good. Late April to mid-may the little ones give you 4x the targets but they are small and challenging. I'll post my results
Good Shooting

Back