Introduction from MN and ?

Cephus

I am somewhat new to predator hunting. Been at it for only a couple years. I primarily hunt MN but will venture out to sd and ks when I can.
Look forward to learning more from all of you.
I think that the coyotes around where I hunt (wright county) are not very vocal compared to other states I hunt. If I play vocal sounds, I get zero response. I know they are there because they will come in to distress sounds. Am I doing something wrong? I often wonder if it's because we are close to towns. When hunting other states I can hear them howling.

Thanks to any Input

Everyone in this area picked up a foxpro, 2 or 3 years ago they were much more vocal. The few days during and before this previous full moon were the most vocal I've heard them in years.

I guess thats what I have noticed. I did start 3 years ago and I agree. When we howled you would hear them everywhere. This year, very seldom do we hear anything. I have never hunted at night but will go scouting. we might get a response, but rare. Glad to hear its not just me. Thought I was doing something I shouldn't.

Sounds like you have the same problem i do where i hunt they are call shy they have had the kitchen sink threw at them and they just sit quietly and listen.last year I went out on a early morning hunt. On my way to my stand location and the 1/2 mile walk i could hear another hunter with his ecaller echoing through the 3000 acre property and you would not believe how unrealistic it sounded from howls to rabbit distress to howls again for a hour straight.I set up and waited for the guys batteries to die then i turned on a kid goat distress just loud enough to hear and i had taker within 45 seconds i didn't seal the deal but that told me do exactly the opposite of everyone else.

A lot drive around 4-5 days around full moons, park,walk 50-100 yards and call. See every year coyote tracks swing downwind of the pull over tracks, than leave. People never see the coyote on the other side of the road. Makes me wonder if they even have permission to trespass. Mostly they just educate.

I've hunted wright county for over 30 years. The fox and coyotes are way more educated since this sport got more popular. To many people hunting these days in that area. I wish kids would take up ice fishing lol. I've lost every spot to new callers. This has been the worst year ever. Blame the internet and outdoor channels. I remember hunting pidgeons all year long now you cant hardly find a pidgeon. Around Buffalo we'd shoot 1000-2000 pidgeons a year now it got cool to hunt them and they are gone for the most part. I get things change but it's not for the good.

Originally Posted By: DecoyedI've hunted wright county for over 30 years. The fox and coyotes are way more educated since this sport got more popular. To many people hunting these days in that area. I wish kids would take up ice fishing lol. I've lost every spot to new callers. This has been the worst year ever. Blame the internet and outdoor channels. I remember hunting pidgeons all year long now you cant hardly find a pidgeon. Around Buffalo we'd shoot 1000-2000 pidgeons a year now it got cool to hunt them and they are gone for the most part. I get things change but it's not for the good.

Hang out at the rail road crossing 14 where it meets 55, I always see pigeons there.

I'm not going to lie, I'm probably part of your problem in that area. I started around 10 years ago and have seen things go down hill in a hurry the last 3 years, but this past Feb. full moon was more like the good ole days and we got a few.

What areas are you hunting public or private? Seriously, I will try to stay away from where theres more pressure and I'm moving up near Milaca and I will be down here much less after this winter.

Sometimes it's easy to see on the public land if it was a predator hunter that left tracks setting up a stand but other times it could be someone out for a walk. I can tell the coyotes have changed but I dont run into other hunters while Im out and only two WMAs that I have seen prints in the snow of someone setting down a foxpro.

I don't mean to be down on new hunters I just hate seeing change. Nothing can be done about it and I wish everyone good hunting. I'm saying if you RK see it in a few years imagine what I'm seeing in my years. The January moon I seen 6 different callers around the area all in every place I usually hunt. Some public some private. I hate no one for hunting places i do. It just Makes it tough.

No kind of offence was taken, I wish more people onto the ice all the time. I constantly tell new gung ho coyote hunters in the area that they are going to have to hike miles through the snow, freeze and probably take a year or two before they see anything...all in hope of discouraging them from the area.

I was genuinely curious about what areas you hunt because I've got most of Wright co. WMAs and WPAs memorized.

Foxpro is the worst thing that happened to this sport.

I hunt almost every public from Rockford to paynsville between 55 and 12. I have lots of private I hunt out west of Annandale

Back