States that allow uncased gun in truck ?

I know a guy that lives way out in middle of the Mark Twain National Forest. One Saturday he and his wife drove to town, she had something or other scheduled to do and he dropped her off and went to the only place in town other than Wal-Mart that has guns, the local pawn shop. This guy bought a used Mossberg pump shotgun while there and stuck it in the backseat of his truck. He went on to pick up his wife, they made a grocery order while in town and had lunch at the local diner. A pretty good day in town for him.

He drives through several miles of MTNF going in and out to the highway from his home. On his way home that day he got stopped by a USFS Ranger. The USFS LEO asked to see the shotgun in the backseat. Turned out the shotgun didn't have a plug in the magazine. It was turkey season. No way this guy that bought the shotgun knew that the gun didn't have a plug yet. Wouldn't matter anyway, he wasn't hunting. In fact, there were NO shotgun shells in the vehicle!

However, even though shown the sales slip from just hours before, the car full of groceries, the fact this guy and his wife were not dressed for hunting, though nothing might remotely suggest he was illegally turkey hunting - he got a ticket for hunting with an unplugged shotgun! To his credit the prosecutor wouldn't pursue charges and voided the ticket. Hopefully somebody reeled the USFS Ranger in and have him a remedial course in law enforcement 101.

The USFS law enforcement has to be one of the worst to deal with. Many of those guys wake up with a ticket book in one hand and pen in the other. Some have their own courts in the park.

Originally Posted By: tripod3The USFS law enforcement has to be one of the worst to deal with. Many of those guys wake up with a ticket book in one hand and pen in the other. Some have their own courts in the park.

With officers like that, they need their own courts.
mad.gif

Regards,
hm

Why in the world would you need to have a plug in your shotgun for turkeys? That is dumb regulation all by itself.

No plug needed in Texas.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerWhy in the world would you need to have a plug in your shotgun for turkeys? That is dumb regulation all by itself.

No plug needed in Texas.

Yeah, it's a goofy rule. Missouri is very pro gun, with the exception of STL & KC, and for the most part has good common sense gun and hunting/fishing laws. However, there are a few that don't make sense. A shotgun here has to be plugged even to coyote hunt with. That's especially dumb. Not a big deal for turkey hunting. I may never need a fourth or fifth shot turkey hunting, coyote hunting is a completely different matter. Deer hunting with a slug loaded shotgun with no plug is allowed.

State and federal wardens here carry a clear plastic hose to shove in the magazine checking for a plug.
We have had federal wardens follow our tracks in the snow with thick fog to check ours.
Not sure how their ego feels when the hose only goes a short way in.
Had a friend walking a shotgun down the street to loan a friend, Fed stopped him and cited him. No license on person, no plug, no safety orange during a big season, and lead shot in a lead free zone. He should have stayed home that day.

The only outdoors specific LEO I have ever had a run in with was a USFS Ranger. We both walked away frustrated. He wanted to write a ticket but couldn't because I had not broken any laws and I was frustrated because he was trying way to hard to make an issue of something, anything.

Originally Posted By: Bear6724 It must have been 6-8 years ago that they changed it. I first found out about the change when I was hunting elk east of Colbran Co.when I was stopped by game warden for license check. He checked everything and when he found mag full but barrel empty he gave me a warning ticket for ammo in the mag. Land owner can have mag full on own property but not the general hunting public during any big game season.

I looked it up after the last post I did. There is no rule in the 2020 regs, that are now online, that says anything about a loaded mag not being legal. On something like a snowmobile or atv perhaps, but not a street legal vehicle.
That's why I asked for proof of it, it's not a rule, at least one that I can find.
It's more likely that the warden was ignorant, or was just being a dick.
I once had a forest service jerk tell me it was illegal to shoot within 300 yards of a road, he called also tried to say that a forest service trail was considered a road and you could not shoot from or across it. All of that was B.S. and he backed down when I told him it was 50' from centerline of a publicly maintained roadway.

Well look in the big game brochure for the 2020 season it is in there on page 15 lefthand side under It is also against the law to:

Originally Posted By: BearWell look in the big game brochure for the 2020 season it is in there on page 15 lefthand side under It is also against the law to:

I looked it up again, it is exactly as I stated. There is not prohibition of a loaded mag in a motor vehicle. On an atv, yes, but not in street legal vehicle!

It won't happen, because its not illegal. But, you can choose to limit yourself more than the law requires.
I know many of the DOW officers, I stop and talk with them pretty often, they stand at the side of my truck with my rifle clearly visible with an open bolt and full mag visible. Never has one even intimated that there was an issue.

In Pennsylvania:
No gun case law
No loaded rifle or shotgun in a or on a vehicle
Ammo can be in mag but must be in a separate compartment so it is not touching the long gun
Pistols unloaded same way unless you have concealed carry permit

6724 I stopped at the DPW today and I owe you an apology. You are right and I was wrong. Just thought I would admit it. Tom

Minnesota was lightly mentioned here.
In MN long guns unloaded completely can be uncased inside the vehicle EXCEPT in the 7 county metro area of Minneapolis St. Paul or in any other town with a population over 2400. Handguns open and loaded only if you have a conceal carry permit on your person. Same rules for atv's, utvs, snowmobiles.

Hef-A

Back