Conditions Have Changed

243kimber

So I have had several honey holes for coyotes over the years. All I had to do was show up in the dark in the am, (just like deer hunting), and I would wait them out. Eventually they would show themselves and that would be that.
But over the last several years, I have came up with zero. Or almost zero. There has been some bulldozing going on in the flat fields here in southern Illinois on the property that I am allowed to hunt on, but they seem to have not only moved their trails, but their time of the day movements also.
My buddy that I load for started to send me pic after pics of the dogs he was taking about 15 miles from me. I asked him what time of day was he pulling the trigger? He said between 10 am and 2 pm.
Have any of you seen such a change in the movement times of day and of them just seemingly moving out of a area? I know they are still close by, but they have cut their occupying time down a lot on this property.
I blasted one the other day, down the road at 12:30PM. That use to never happen.

Could be that there are other hunters after them in the general areas?

If resident yotes have a 5-10 mile route they cover thats a fairly large plot of land that there could be others along the route hunting them. Might be night hunters with suppressors so if far enough away from you it'd be hard to hear the shots. If they've moved out of an area might also be due to food supply or lack thereof.

I have a theory (just a guess really I suppose) about them around here. Since they seem to come and go and come again over time, my theory is they work in an eliptical orbit about their 5-10 mile routes. Sometimes their paths cross where my bait pile is and sometimes not. Sooner or later they come back through their rotation and hang in the area for a week or so then move on somewhere else and are gone for a month or so and then they come back.

Good point. I met some young hunters in the area that did purchase thermal vision a couple of years ago. They could clean house, and the countryside would never know about it.

We almost never see a daylight coyote here. I have traveled for a living my whole adult life and always watch for game. I can count on one hand the number of coyotes I have seen just roaming in the daylight. I have called some in, but very seldom see one not called.

Originally Posted By: 243kimber Good point. I met some young hunters in the area that did purchase thermal vision a couple of years ago. They could clean house, and the countryside would never know about it.

Very true sir. Happened to an area north of where I live on my own property. Decided to do some night hunting up there a few months back and was astounded with the shots I heard off in the distance in the middle of the night The yotes were there but skittish and all get out and moving rapidly through the area. Hunting pressure as they say...

Is this a built up area ? All the human activity is morning and evening, mid day the kids are in school, the parents at work and the dogs inside or tied up. Quiet time. Every year I call some out of thick cover at midday .

Back