Compass 204

deadrabbits

So I fell in love with the .204 a couple years ago when I shot my buddys! At the time I was shooting a custom 22 250 AI with a pacnor barrel and a Winchester action but besides that it was done up from the trigger to the stock and barrel. I got it from a good friend and it was a tack driver no doubt! It always kicked enough to pull me of the dog though, even with a custom brake. Ive never been a real high end rifle guy and was born and raised on longbows and recurves. Gun hunting or even compound big game hunting were froened upon by my Dad. He for whatever reason believed that way and never once sais hunting with any weapon was wrong or bad just that traditional archery was what he believed in and a fair sport that took a lot to be successful in taking animals consistently so I followed suit....
Until the day about 15 years ago I was introduced to calling dogs and cats and I got hooked as much as anything ive been into! Fast forward 13 or so years and as I was shooting my 22 250 and shot my friends 204 I had to have one! now im a cheap a$% anyway except for my hunting and fly fishing gear. I would love to have a super nice custom 204 and a couple years back looked hard for one in the middle of the road? I was using a 243 (still do at times) as well. I stumbled across a Mossberg MVP .204 at this tiny gun shop in a tiny town in Neb and it was new and if I remember it was $580ish? Anyway it felt good, fit good and to me looked good. Im an avid upland bird hunter and have always shied away from mossbergs and for no real reason I guess, I just handled a couple and they felt "cheap" to e and this MVP felt a little loose in the bolt but noyhing terrible and I bought it on the spot.
I put a VXiii 3.5-10x40 on it grabbed 2 40 round boxes of VMAX 32 and 40 grains and headed to the range with my main hunting buddy who is a [beeep] of a shot and a wealth of knowledge with guns. So we got it on paper at 50yds and then zeroed it at a hundred. If I could post pics or knew how I would bc at a hundred yards my last 3 shot groups were easily covered by a quarter and almost a dime, the actual holes were covered by a dime in a couple. we backed her up to 200 and I shot two 3 shot groups that were roughly quarter sized. never tried the 40s that was w the 32s....according to him he cant reload or make a custom gun, round that's better than that and just leave [beeep] good alone.

since then Ive killed 10-15 dogs with it and its a lazer and Ive ruined two pels, both broadside shoulder hits when the dogs were running. Other than that its planted them right there along with a badger and a bobcat.
So ive been wanting a back up gun in 204 since I only have 2 243s and my beretta M1 12 gauge as dog and cat guns. I was online and looking and I forget which site but they had a compass in 204 for $200 NIB. I bought it on the spot and delivered it to a friend with his FFL and just picked it up, honestly a little surprised in a good way! Ive held plenty of Americans, Axis, etc and it felt to me as equally made and I prefer some of the features more.
So I only had one scope that was for a 243 and undecided if I was keeping it or not and that's a burris xtr 2 5-20x50 illuminated, FFP etc and was too much scope for me anyway as im proficient to 300 but fall off from 300-500. most of my shots are in the 5-250 yard range. S I found a new 3-9x40 Nikon BDC with a 4" sunshade, a clearance brake and claw sling for 150 for all 3...…..so I have about 350-400 total into the finished gun and I love it!
My question is do any of you guys own one? its a 1
10 twist and Im debating betwenn ammo? Facory. I have a bunch of 40 vmax left and is a 1 10 twist ok for 40 grains of weight? otherwise I thought about trying the 24 grain ntx bc I love fast small rounds otherwise ill just hope it shoots the 32s and just carry one type. im open to suggestions on ammo though and also im going to either sell or trade that burris xtr as its never been shot for either money or a lesser valued scope and some money. Do you like the Nikon BDCs? Bc ive been looking hard at the vortex crossfires with vplex reticles or the leupold freedoms 3-9x50s also w the vplex reticle......theure anywhere from 170-250 for those 2 scopes. So do you guys like the gun for my back up, would you keep the Nikon or get something else? for sure the XTR is getting sold and Id rather just keep the money but don't mind buying one of those cheaper scopes bc the Nikon is clear I just don't care for the circles. they pull my eye away from the cross hairs. lmk what you guys think?
cheers

Well I have that exact rifle, bought it a year ago but paid twice as much as you when I found it in a small gun shop. It took no work to make it shoot very small groups with 40 gr vmax. I have yet to shoot a coyote with either vmax or with that rifle to tell you the truth, but that rifle will shoot the 40's no problem. And I've shot a mountain of pdogs with 32's, and now that I've shot the 40's it's a better choice. The higher bc makes them just as flat and less windage.

Scopes, well that's personal preference, and mine has changed over the years significantly. I like scopes in the 4-16 range, but I don't care for bdc reticles even though I still have a couple. My favorite for hunting is the Burris Eliminator I got last fall, it ranges and compensates and makes an accurate rifle very deadly on standing shots. Beyond that I have a bunch of scopes with elevation turrets and windage reticles, so you dial elevation and hold off for wind. I found it difficult to do on coyotes, they just don't hang around long enough for me to figure all of that. The Burris is so fast, and tells you windage hold for a 10 mph wind at that range, so it's very simple.

But on a 204, you really don't need much drop compensation. I mean it's flat to at least 250, probably 300 if you zero it right. Much beyond that, I personally would want a bigger round. I have been shooting 87 vmax at 3200 fps and it anchors coyotes to at least 442, my longest opportunity this year. Yeah I get some holes, but they sew up fine lol.

I would love to find a Compass in .204 for a truck gun, while checking traps. Especially for a price close to that. I've heard they shoot well for the money. Right now, I have an X-Bolt in .204 that shoots well also, but I hate beating it up everyday. I agree, for factory ammo, 40 grain bullets seem to be a better option for coyotes. I just bought some 40 grain Nosler BTs that I will be using this summer and next fall, if they group decent. Right now, Federal has a $5 a box rebate on their varmint/predator ammo.

As far as scopes, it sounds like you want to keep it towards the lower end on price. For the price, I really like the Burris scopes that I have. If you're not set on a higher magnification, Cabelas has Burris Fullfield E1 3-9X40 with a 30 mm tube for $150. I have one on my .270 and really like it. Their Predator Quest line is very reasonably priced as well (basically an E1 from what I've been told).

I currently have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20 on my Browning and it is really too much scope for calling. I agree with 204AR, I don't like messing with turrets when I'm hunting coyotes.

I have the Compass in .204. Bought it for the 1 in 10" twist. Shoots every factory ammo I've tried sub moa and the Hornady 40 grain in a half moa.

You'll love it.

Haha great post and well written.

I think you know everything you need to know already. I have a 22-250 ai I haven’t got to loading yet but use a 17-204 mostly.
I’d likely be just as well off only shooting a 204 Ruger but we can’t shoot fox with anything bigger than .17 cal.

thanks for the advice everyone! Im leaving in the morning for the last or second to last dog hunt of the year and it figures the wind is supposed to be 20mph, I don't care though my fellow buddy/business partner is coming with for 2 days and hes a master taxidermist and has taught me more in the last year about taxidermy than my last 4 teachers or myself have taught me in years, I told him the wind is the only thing that could damper our outing. Its breeding season, calves are dropping and the rancher has lost several calves already and said hes never seen so many dogs and they've been there for almost a 100 years on the same ranch...… so either im a piss poor coyote hunter or theres a ton of dogs? Id have to say a little of both! I ended up with a vortex with a VPlex reticle I think was 170? plus some nice warne rings and I had a gift card for 50 and an xtra 22 bucks on another card so I figured it was 200 total for sling, and rings so 400ish into the entire rig and it just me but im fired up to drop a dog with it! So much so I told my buddy he can use my go to 204 and im going to try out the compass.... I bore sighted it, went to the range and im shooting quarter sized groups at a hundred about an inch high at a hundred off my sticks....that's one thing I try to do bc I dint have a sled and its $20 to rent one so I typically try to sight in off the bags and then shoot with my sticks and chair and that really tells me how im shooting...

So I have the revolt and its a loud SOB and there are bottoms and canyons so hopefully we can get out of the wind a bit and scratch a couple dogs down!? Ill certainly bring my computer and ill learn how to upload some pics on the predator forum at the very least of the land but hopefully some dead dogs in the foreground! Cheers

Back