Budget Barrel

mysticalflight

I have built several AR's over the years. I am wanting to build a fairly cheap calling, truck, and/or beat around gun. Those I have build have usually been in the sub 3/4" to 1/2" MOA. I am wanting something in the coyote MOA. Stainless or carbon steel doesn't matter. 16-18" non h-bar preferred. Thanks in advance guys.

I think in almost every situation you are going to have trouble beating a RRA barrel. They sell barrels by itself. The only problem is their barrels are going to be a bit heavier than maybe you want. While not listed on the website maybe they would sell the barrel the X1 rifle comes with that is fluted.

beyond that, the best lighter weight off the shelf barrel I have tried was a criterion hybrid contour

Originally Posted By: varminter .223Bca
I 2nd the recommendation of BCA/AR Stoner. They exceeded my expectations for the price. Much better than any stock A4 barrel that I have had.

CDNNsports has DPMS lite weight barrels $49 carbon steel, $79 stainless. They are 1/9 twist that shoots most of the common bullets well just not the heavy bullets like 70+gr. I have a couple buddies that I have helped zero there's and they had respectable accuracy.

If I was looking for something else for a well rounded do all AR it would be a Socom profile barrel with midlength or rifle length gas, 18" .

I have 4 BCA barrels, one is a heavy barrel, 18" and it is a 3 moa shooter with good ammo. The others are sporter barrels and decent shooters. BCA has a 1MOA guarantee on rifle barrels so I need to send it back.

I used to like BCA, but the last couple I got from them were really bad. I ended up sending them back. I definitely can't recommend them anymore.

AR Stoner has actually been pretty good to me, so far. Fit and finish on them are fair. All of the ones I've ordered had good crowns and chambers were in spec. They've all shot very well, too.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensI used to like BCA, but the last couple I got from them were really bad. I ended up sending them back. I definitely can't recommend them anymore.

same here. the last one i got from bca looked like they used a blemished upper receiver. terrible looking receiver. how they let something like that be sent out is beyond me.

i called and emailed numerous times. they never answered the phone and did not return emails. terrible customer service.

after about a month somebody did finally answer the phone and i got an ok to return. then never heard anything for weeks. finally got somebody to answer the phone again. yeah, yeah, yeah, it had not even been sent to the service techs yet. terrible service.

after several months i did get it back and it looks ok.

did i mention terrible service?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotsame here. the last one i got from bca looked like they used a blemished upper receiver. terrible looking receiver. how they let something like that be sent out is beyond me.

i called and emailed numerous times. they never answered the phone and did not return emails. terrible customer service.

after about a month somebody did finally answer the phone and i got an ok to return. then never heard anything for weeks. finally got somebody to answer the phone again. yeah, yeah, yeah, it had not even been sent to the service techs yet. terrible service.

That's a bummer. They were actually pretty quick to authorize a return for me, but the barrels I got were so bad that I can't even imagine how they got shipped out. The barrels I've gotten from them in the past have been decent, especially the Glock replacement barrels. Something has definitely changed there.

On the other hand, AR Stoner barrels from MidwayUSA have always been pretty good to me. I've used several to build uppers for myself and for friends and family. All have been consistent in quality and have shot far better than price would suggest.

Originally Posted By: cjclemensI used to like BCA, but the last couple I got from them were really bad. I ended up sending them back. I definitely can't recommend them anymore.

AR Stoner has actually been pretty good to me, so far. Fit and finish on them are fair. All of the ones I've ordered had good crowns and chambers were in spec. They've all shot very well, too.
I'm pretty sure BCA Supply a lot of the AR Stoner barrels and receivers Etc.

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: cjclemensI used to like BCA, but the last couple I got from them were really bad. I ended up sending them back. I definitely can't recommend them anymore.

same here. the last one i got from bca looked like they used a blemished upper receiver. terrible looking receiver. how they let something like that be sent out is beyond me.

I must say I've had the exact opposite experience with BCA. I've ordered a lot of stuff from them and I have got a couple barrels with bad crowns and just sent back a side charging carrier that the hole where the bolt goes through the back was a little too loose so the gun wouldn't cycle. I had had this bolt for a couple years and I've always had weak cycling.
You just got to look things over when you get it. They almost always have answered the phone. They always answer emails within a day or two and they've never given me any static about returning anything.
The other day I ordered a side charging carrier and they got one number in the part number wrong and I got one of those little threaded receiver plugs. I called them and then they wanted me to email them pics of what I got and the packaging. As soon as I did they sent me out a complete BCG. Everything I've gotten from them has been accurate you just have to look things over. Anytime you have anything being sold that cheap and mass-produced there is going to be lemons. All it takes is one QC guy that doesn't do his job and a whole company can look like crap.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ghostman2 things I never skimp on with an AR build - a good barrel and a good trigger.

So true...EVERYTHING else is negotiable

I bought a 16in 300 BO side charger by AR Stoner.
It has a pistol gas system block and tube.
Great for 208 - 220 SUB's.
It was on sale at MidwayUSA for $375. My Specwar does great.

Y8GFtGR.jpg

Originally Posted By: varminter .223I'm pretty sure BCA Supply a lot of the AR Stoner barrels and receivers Etc.

Maybe the receivers and some of the 4150 barrels are from BCA, but I think a most of the stainless 5R barrels are Liberty/Satern. Whatever barrels BCA is shipping to Midway USA, they must get more closely inspected than the ones they ship directly. I've used a bunch of AR Stoner barrels and have yet to get one that was bad. On the other hand, last two BCA barrels I received had visible problems. If they let the two barrels that I received go out the door as they were, I have assume they have little to no QC going on at all.

Back