co/neb feb coyote calling question and my introduction!

deadrabbits

Hi All! Been on the forum for awhile and its great! Ive predator hunted most of my 41 years going with my Dad since my earliest memories.....He wasn't the best caller in the world but we had a lot of fun together! My main hobby was always traditional archery hunting, as of 10 years ago I went calling dogs on a ranch I knew of with a friend and within a month I had a nice custom 22-250 and whatever I could get my hands on that I thought I needed! shouldn't have bought half the stuff! lol. Since then my chops have gotten a little better and Im learning every hunt I go on and probably always will! My Dad passed away about a year and a half ago and at 41, owning a construction business, that day I decided to sell it and start a taxidermy business as my Dad always wanted me to..... so here I am in CO having a blast and was blessed to find a business partner that is among the best in the world to build a business with and learn from as well! I have a decent trophy room, most all big game that ive gotten with my lonbow or recurve but through the years ive seen and now have done some awesome predator mounts. With my Dad, Grandpa and 2 best bird dogs passing and starting a new business and selling an old one most of my hunting got put on hold this year minus approx. 5-7 hunts. Only 3 of which were dog, cat and fox hunts....Well I happen to have about the next 3 weeks to go on a few 1-3 day dog and cat hunts and I desperately want to kill some dogs and possibly a cat or two, for my private "man cave" as I don't have any personal predator mounts and want a few that I love especially the shoulder mounts w a cool pedastool, a lifesize dog mousing w a snow base and a lifesize coyote sitting and howling...… Feb is always a tough moth historically for me though? I know its breeding season and the past luck ive had has mainly still been distress calls. I need to make the most of these hunts and want some dogs to mount in really different unique ways. Ive tried female inv. howls, pup in distress and challenge howls without consistent luck and the luck Ive had has been with distress calls. The last 2 years ive had my best luck with woodpecker distress and the same old cttn/jack calls..... I have 30,000 acres of private ranch land I hunt on in Nebraska that unless it gets trespassed on Im the only bowhunter or predator hunter on it and have been for a decade. its mixed corn, sage, CRP, gnarly canyons and river bottom throughout, its truly one of the most gorgeous places Ive ever hunted and loaded with dogs and cat, I get cats on my trail cams all the time and over the years have only killed 2.....Ive had plenty of dog action up until mid jan and it slows down. I shoot either a MVP .204 as my go to and shoot is well w 32grn vmax and my windy day gun is a older 110 243 that ive put a trigger on and topped it w a burris xtr 2 5-20x50 with illumination etc and just got a compass 204 for $200 nib that I put a Nikon BDC on before I wrote this. my MVP has a vxiii 3.5-10x40 and at a 100 w that gun I can cover 3 shots w a dime, this year I bought a LD Revolt that to me was a game changer! so nothing fancy gun wise but im a gear addict and have several different decoys, seats, packs, hand calls etc......matter of fact im pulling the burris asap and putting a vx freedom on my 243 bc I never shoot over 400 and its too much scope and Ill never use it as it should be used! I carry a 12 gauge Benelli M1 with a .670 full and its usually loaded with 4 buck or the few remaining Hornady coyote BB loads I have. So that's me and my gear/background and introduction! haha..... Sorry for bein so long winded I figured Id introduce myself while asking you guys fr some possible help on ideas of what I can or should do differently these next few weeks to hopefully get 5 plus dogs and a cat or even two on the ground to start filling up my man cave w cool predator mounts! Should I howl, fem invitational howl, pup in distress or just keep hammering away with my favorite bird and rabbit sounds? Ive had some luck starting off with howls and switching to distress calls but this year has been rough that way......Pleasure to meet everyone, you guys have some great reads that I often find myself 2 hours into the future reading one after the other! If theres anyone here in northern co, southern wyo or western Nebraska that ever wants to call what I believe to be some of the finest dog and cat country Ive ever hunted with me and show me some of their tactics, Ill provide the land and all the gate keys etc we need to explore and call miles of pristine country! I don't have one hunting buddy that predator hunts and only hunt big game with me and occasionally turkeys. So I mostly hunt alone but would love some company! its 3ish hours from fort colllins to where I hunt and I typically stay in a room about a half hour from the ranch or camp when its nicer but that's mainly to chase the muleys and whitetail. so any help, ideas would be great! or if you want to come along and teach me more Im always willing to learn barring you understand that this farm is strictly private and I have sole access besides the owner and his son and don't ever consider going there without me! lol..... believe me its happened even with what I considered a good friend so im leary and the rancher doesn't allow it anyway, as ive done countless mounts, farm work, etc over 14 years to get full privelages on this place! cheers

Holy run-on sentence Batman! I would love to read that but you need to break it up into paragraphs for me please.

Welcome to PM deadrabbits, sound like you have a great piece of property to hunt. I hope someone close to your area, takes you up on your offer. Please keep us updated on how you do, and we all love pictures.

Welcome aboard!

I come out that way most years in the fall. This is a tough time of the year for me to get away from the work I do. But heck I'd fly out and spend some time out roughing it.
Yes the Interrogation call to start then invitation are good to get started with.
Longer times on stands looking for the slightest movement from the cats that creep in and sit and watch might pay off. Good luck to you!

Tim

Deadrabbits,

Welcome to PM!

I would love to have you come out sometime in either Colorado/Western Nebraska.

I hunt 3 weekends a month and kill my share of Coyotes in both states.

Pretty much done for the season, fur is no good and the Yotes haven’t been responding during the day because of warm temps. I do have all the needed gear for night hunting such as Night Vision and thermal vision imaging.

Went out Saturday night and I was rusty, called in 5 and shot Zero!!

Forgot to mention, every rifle I shoot is suppressed;-)

I hunt in the south, Georgia and Alabama specifically, so your mileage may vary.
I see the same thing as you this time of year, distress seems to still pull them in better than howls, so that is what I use the majority of the time.
I still howl (using interrogation, invitation, mating, and all the other howls) but the majority of the coyotes I have killed lately have came to the plain ole' cottontail or pup distress.

Sounds like you have all the tools and I'm sure someone that hunts up in that neck of the woods will gladly show you some different technics, so the only thing that I'll offer is this, if you're wanting to do some coyote mounts, some really good looking mounts, wait until they are in prime fur condition to doing any in a mount. I mean, why would you waste the time and effort to mount one that isn't prime, just doesn't make sense. Mid Nov. and early Dec. would be about the best time to target coyotes in that neck of the woods for prime pelts.
Until then, no reason not to kill a few more, maybe meet a new hunting partner and learn a few new techniques.

I agree about the fur and prime times 100%.....once I figure out how yo upload pics Ill show you some of the predator mounts Ive done and everyone can critique my work but I haven't seen very many that rival the work we put out and Ive been to a lot of studios, conventions anf competitions..... its just myself and my business partner and hes won the worlds twice in the closed mouth whitetail shoulder mount division which is a tough thing to do!
Im not nearly as good as him but that still puts me above 95% of the taxidermists out there as hes simply one of the top in the US ive never gotten a 1st place in the big game category but have taken a coiuple in fish and predator/small game an these coyotes are all going to be shoulder/head mounts on pedastools for a few areas that I want them in my house. so as long as their heads are good, Im good!
I love mid oct-mid December dogs and have done countless numbers of them for customers just never myself. Its kind of funny bc I have a trophy room in my house that I have 2 of my mounts in out of 25 or so!after I decided to do this as a full time job Ive rarely had time to work on my personal stuff...… I usually am ready to leave the studio and rest after a long day! I always hunt to the end of feb so if I hammer a few if the fur is even 75% ill do some lifesize pieces and if they look like s$%t Ill lop them off and do a head pedastool…….
My plan anyway! its snowing like [beeep] out there or supposed to and the wind is supposed to lay down and I love hunting good weather after a cold snow storm came through! even with the breeding going heavy they seem to still need to eat and I do have luck this time of year under those conditions.....Plus Im dying to see how well this compass 204 works!? with a scope, sling and a brake I have a touch under $500 into the entire rig! gun was $200 delivered and I found a Nikon Buckmaster online with a 4" sunshade new for $80, sling was $25 and the brake was on closeout for 35 bucks..... Its shooting 1/2 groups at a 100 with factory 40 grn vmax and im just stoked to see if my $400 dolarish completed gun feels way different then my go to gun?
If its shooting that well and the dogs are dropping its a perfect gun for one of my 12 year old cousins or my friends kiddos or a friend that wants to hunt with me and I don't have to sit in fear watching them handle one of my nicer guns instead of looking for cats and dogs!

plus youd be surprised what a good tan, perfect face set, blow dryer and knowing the hairlines on an animal will do!? Its like a lot of early season muleys and whitetail. Their hair is thin and patchy and I like them bc it shows a lot more detail. Same with later season dogs, I love the big pale, white bellied dogas with thick luster and longer guard hair.... however as long as theyre not rubbed and have just lost their guard hair or rubbed a ton of belly fur off I can make it so its extremely hard to notice and even than I can moun them sitting or laying down, fighting etc and hide most of that stuff.....people bring me summer dogs that their kid shot as their 1st or whatever it may be and I cant fix whats not there but I can chamge forms etc to hide what is? so im not too worried about that part. Im more concerned ill get out there and not bring s dog in or miss the bastard as Ive never claimed to be a good shot! quite th opposite! Since ive switched to 204s and actually took the time to shoot with a guy that knew what he was doing im super confident out to 300, beyond that its a crap shoot for me! Im getting better the more I hunt, shoot and learn though! or if they come straight in on a dead ears back, snarling run Ive grown up on a shotgun and they'll take a train load of 4 buck or BB......So that's another thing this summer I want to do is spend time and learn some long range shooting skills. Long for me is 500 yds. beyond that I truly don't care, that's just me. A 500 yd target looks insanely far to me and groeing up until now I was raised wi longbows and recurves so that's what I love about dogs and cats is that I have had 5yd shots all the way out to who knows how far? 500 is my goal and 300 for now is where im super comfortable.....my 243 got the burris xtr 2 with every bell and whitle scope taken off and its getting sold or traded and that's my 500 yard gun but im not used to that much scope so Im going to put a cheaper vortex,leupold or burris fullfield on it doesn't mater which to me as long as it has a VPLEX reticle, I love them! Online Ive found a few in the 200-300 range and that's fine for my cheap ways! Im pretty hard on my gear and don't baby it so Ive always used 500 or less scopes mainly leupolds and love them! so im hoping I can get that gun shooting 500ish with a heavier bullet?

Back