Strange question

Huntinjim

So a friend of mine, who happens to be blind, wants to go deer hunting. I am all about helping others get into hunting but this is pretty far out there and I don't want to make any commitments before I do a LOT of research. I've seen some devices online that allow you to attach a cell phone to a scope. Supposedly, this allows you to look over your kid's shoulder and train them for proper sight alignment. That got me to thinking it might be possible for me to sit behind my friend and tell him how to aim using this device. Obviously, it would take a ton of practice at the range and a different stand setup to make that happen. My questions are, has anyone else used one of these things and do they actually work as advertised? Next question would be are they legal to hunt with and probably many more questions after this but those are the first hurdles. Appreciate any experiences and input.

I have never used such a device but know of what you mention.

Call your state game department and ask - you may be surprised to hear what they can offer. There is nothing here in NY that would prohibit what you are proposing. If legal, a well placed bait pile with obstructions could place deer in an ideal broadside situation.

I'm confident if my best friend lost his eyesight we could spend a few days at the range and get a pretty good system down for fine tuning his aim as long as he had a good rest.

Good luck.

I did a very quick Google search, Vision Impaired hunting. I didn't read much but there are some regulations regarding this. It even mention the use of a lazer. You might check it out more than I did. Looks like it is very possible.

Here in WA you have to get a physician to fill out the forms, then you get status and placards to display, a companion hunter permit card.
The medical forms make each level of participation legal.

Appreciate the input and I will definitely be doing more research. I still haven't told my friend about this but it's starting to look more feasible so I'm hopeful this will work out.

Back