New bill that allows spotlighting coyotes....

OKRattler

In Oklahoma may go into affect next November if we're lucky. I hope so....seems as though the only thing they're concerned about is the possibility of people shooting coyotes in the headlights of a vehicle. But if you read the guide book it states that you can't shoot from a roadway. So what would be any different in that aspect than it is already? You reckon bullets bounce off coyotes when someone gets a coyote in the headlights as of now but they won't after the bill is passed? Because I highly doubt it. Unless the game wardens are catching coyotes and putting bullet proof vest on them and decide to take them away once shining for coyotes is legal.

I don't know how changing an outdated law that even States full of bunny huggers and ding dongs have done away with will change a law that will remain the same. Oh yeah actually I do....it won't. Because criminals don't care about laws. But we've all known that for a while. Hopefully it passes.

Last edited:
I find it kind of ridiculous that weed was legalized before spotlighting a coyote was ever brought to anyone's attention. Some of us actually like to get out and enjoy things other than sitting at home smoking a bong all day. I know that seems really productive and important but there are people that would rather go do something a little more productive like....Oh I don't know....work....and shoot coyotes in the dark like everyone else.

Last edited:
Oklahoma isn't the only state, Alabama still doesn't allow night hunting for coyotes either (you can apply for a permit, but have to show that they are causing some sort of damage).

Been hearing about it,hope a person will not have to get approval from a game warden to go out.Heard it was private land only but that was not a very reliable source.We can just wait and see what happens

Originally Posted By: Terry LightleBeen hearing about it,hope a person will not have to get approval from a game warden to go out.Heard it was private land only but that was not a very reliable source.We can just wait and see what happens

From my understanding you won't and it won't just apply to landowners. They'll already issue depredation permits to landowners and 24 hour permits to your average person that hunts coyotes but then your limited to using only a shotgun. If this new bill passes you can use a rifle and you don't have to go through the hassle of getting a permit every time you want to do it.

Last edited:
The temptation of shooting a huge buck while spotlighting seems to be a concern for game wardens also. But in times where thermal,night vision and suppressors can be had by anyone with the money to buy them why would anyone that's serious about poaching deer be shining a light?

I had no idea OK was so restrictive about predator hunting. I figured y’all were like us down here in TX - kill em any time by any means possible. Glad to see you’re going to get to use lights. Are you prevented from using thermal currently or is it just the use of a light that’s prohibited? I think it’s great that y’all were smart enough to legalize cannabis. Even though I don’t use it myself I believe it’s a good medicine and far less harmful than alcohol. I wish our state would do the same. I guess we’re a little ahead of y’all in predator management and y’all are ahead of us on medicinal cannabis.

There’s really NO good argument against night hunting/using lights for predators. Poachers are going to poach. Allowing lights doesn’t enable or encourage them. It’s the same fallacy as claiming gun control will reduce gun crime.

There's really not any good reason why we shouldn't be able to. People are doing illegal things no matter what like you said. The article I read seemed to just focus more on the use of lights but they may word it to where thermal and night vision may be used. Just being able to use lights would tickle me to pieces. I'm sure it will pass but we'll see. You never know.

I know the ranchers and farmers will sure like being able to spotlight when there's feral hogs tearing things up too. There's no harm that can come from it that I can see.

Last edited:
New Mexico used to allow night hunting, but the liberals have gotten their way now there is no night hunting of any sort allowed here. To bad I would love to go out at night and hunt them.

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterGood Luck OKRattler. I hope that'll happen up here someday. Thermal to pricey for me
So thermal is legal there but lights aren't? Seems like it would make more sense if it were the other way around. From a deer poaching standpoint lights would clearly be easier to see and track down whoever is shining the lights if game wardens felt like they should go check it out. With thermal and night vision there is no light,no nothing just darkness.

I've been to Texas during predator hunting contest and you'd be surprised how easy it is to see lights miles away. Red,green,amber and white lights. Seems like that would be a lot easier to find than someone that is sitting out in the dark with no lights shining whatsoever. I don't know what the reasoning is behind that law there but I could see why they could possibly only allow using lights here for that reason if the bill passes.

Last edited:
Yes thermal and night vision are legal but lights aren't. Hunting from half hour after sunset until midnight is allowed with 22lr or smaller, shotguns are ok also!! Makes a ton of sense doesn't it lol

Originally Posted By: West.Mass.HunterYes thermal and night vision are legal but lights aren't. Hunting from half hour after sunset until midnight is allowed with 22lr or smaller, shotguns are ok also!! Makes a ton of sense doesn't it lol
Yeah that's pretty crazy. If they allow it at all they need to give you permission to use a cartridge adequate for coyotes at least. I've seen big jackrabbits run a little ways after getting hit with a .22lr. There's no way I'd even consider it suitable for shooting a coyote that wasn't in a trap.

[/quote]
Yeah that's pretty crazy. If they allow it at all they need to give you permission to use a cartridge adequate for coyotes at least. I've seen big jackrabbits run a little ways after getting hit with a .22lr. There's no way I'd even consider it suitable for shooting a coyote that wasn't in a trap. [/quote]

It's really to bad politicians and other lawmakers don't make that connection, but we are talking about Massachusetts dems.

Masswildlife sends out random surveys every year and I always leave a comment about getting the usage of lights changed. Maybe one day. Anyways I wish you luck on your end

Back