Stevens Model 301 410 Turkey gun

pyscodog

I saw one today in the LGS. It has a camo stock, single shot and comes with a super full turkey choke. I believe it weighs in at or around 5lbs. Price was $229 if I remember correctly. Is the 410 enough gun for turkey? I've heard it is but seems you may have to pick your shots. I'm not a turkey hunter but it looked like a neat little shotgun for the money. Might make turkey hunting a little more challenging. Maybe with the right loads???

TSS makes the .410 somewhat a turkey gun. Respectfully, you said you aren't a turkey hunter so if I were you I would go hunt for them a couple seasons before deciding you need more of a challenge.

Oh I have shotguns, I just don't turkey hunt. Just saw it today and was curious. Maybe just a challenge for those who do.

Last edited:
I have been a few times. Had all the gear to. Just decided it wasn't my thing. I have several friends that do hunt turkey and one uses an 870 20 gauge and does well but he has a lease with lots of birds. All I had was public land that was hunted hard.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogAll I had was public land that was hunted hard.

Well there is your challenge.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: pyscodogAll I had was public land that was hunted hard.

Well there is your challenge.

True!

99.9% of my turkey hunting is done at the grocery store. I just saw the shotgun and thought it was pretty cool looking and made me wonder if anyone on here uses a 410 to hunt turkey. I did watch a video about it and she was using the TSS ammo that GC mentioned. Looks like it patterned pretty good. Personally I'm not much of a bird hunter at all. An occasional dove hunt and a little skeet is about the limit of my shotgunning.

I have one. I have not tried the tss shot in it yet. I will tell you the patterns stink with 6 different shot sizes I tried. (win, rem, fed)
I think this gun and choke combo were made to use the tss shot only.
That's my observation.
I bought mine strictly for squirrel hunting, I paid less than $200.
I would NOT RECCOMEND it.
Gary

Last edited:
I don't know why a 410 wouldn't work. I've killed over a dozen turkeys and not ONE with a shotgun, all have been archery. IMO they are not that hard to kill.

I even bought a factory full choke tube for it and the patterns with bird-shot loadings were still terrible. 20 yd patterns with 3" #6's were 2-2 1/2 feet!
This is a good example of "you get what you pay for"
Again these are the results I got.
My old h&r 410 is way better shooting.

If I do decide to go, I'll be packing my old WingMaster 12 gauge. Its got a modified barrel that patterns great. The Stevens was just "different". No desire to own one at all.

Back