.28 gauge coyote load?

I have hunted my entire life with .410, 20, 12. I bought a nice 28 and was not satisfied also ammo was hard to find.
Fox are not that hard to kill and got my nicest silver with a 20.

Originally Posted By: bmashHEVI shot makes a #4 in 28ga. Should at least work for fox.

If you buy the 28 ga #4 shot Hevi-Duck loads they may work if you shoot the coyotes in the head at 25 yards and less. They will cost right at $4.00 per shell.
https://www.mackspw.com/HEVI-SHOT-28GA-2-3-4-3-4?custcol_macks_ammo_size=7

You really have to pay attention the Hevi-Shot loads made by EMI, they are very misleading with their advertising.

The Hevi-Tungsten X loads are not as dense as lead shot

Originally Posted By: BearAt $40 a box I would look at loading them myself then I could taylor the loads the way I needed them.

If you shoot a 28 ga you can save a huge amount by reloading your shells and you can reload shells that are not made for 28 ga guns.

3/4 oz of TSS #4 shot would cost about $2.30 per shell so you could easily load a 2-3/4" 3/4 oz load for $1.00 cheaper than you can buy 28 ga Hevi-Shot loads. The TSS #4 shot reload will out perform the Hevi-Shot #4 factory load by a very large amount.

Look at how a TSS #4 and TSS #5 shot loads compares to a Hevi-Shot #4 shot load on the penetration they get.

From KPY Shotshell Ballistics

3/4 oz of #4 Hevi-Shot has about 93 pellets and at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 14.0 yards

3/4 oz of TSS #4 shot has about 62 pellets and at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 78.9 yards

3/4 oz of TSS #5 shot has about 79 pellets and at 1300 fps gets 3.70" of gel penetration at 62.4 yards

Look at the pellet count difference between 3/4 oz of Hevi-Shot #4 shot and TSS #4 shot!

TSS #5 shot maybe the best way to go for coyotes using a 28 ga at 40 yards and less with 79 pellets in each 3/4 oz load.

Last edited:
Is there some nostalgia involved in wanting to hunt with a .28 ga?

Seems better to go with something else. Maybe a cross bow or a sling shot.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerIs there some nostalgia involved in wanting to hunt with a .28 ga?

I'm old and lazy and don't like lugging my 12 gauges. I have a .28 gauge that is super light and would make a good coyote gun if I could just find some factory #4 buck or high density T.

If people don't think a 28 gauge can kill at the same distances as a 12 gauge or any other gauge, its usually because they don't understand ballistics. A #4 buck pellet traveling 1,300 fps from a 12 gauge barrel has the exact same kinetic energy as the same pellet at the same velocity from a 410. The difference is just in the number of pellets in the air, not the "strength" or effective range. What it comes down to is accuracy, if you and the gun/choke are able to put the pellets where they need to be.

The 28 gauge is an awesome gauge and I've killed a bunch of upland birds, waterfowl, turkey and even a deer with it (slug). If I could fine a factory load for high density T shot It would probably work pretty well for yote.

You know there are some very light 12ga out there. I have a couple of sxs 12ga all steel and walnut bird guns that come in at 5 lb. 15 oz. In a 12ga semi auto a Franchi AL-48 12ga is right at 6 lbs. and there are other 12ga ultralights.

Even 20's can come in quite light and there is coyote ammo for them.

If your bound and determined to shoot the 28 at coyotes you might want to invest in a Lee loader and make up some TSS loads.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MAArcherOriginally Posted By: YellowhammerIs there some nostalgia involved in wanting to hunt with a .28 ga?

I'm old and lazy and don't like lugging my 12 gauges. I have a .28 gauge that is super light and would make a good coyote gun if I could just find some factory #4 buck or high density T.

If people don't think a 28 gauge can kill at the same distances as a 12 gauge or any other gauge, its usually because they don't understand ballistics. A #4 buck pellet traveling 1,300 fps from a 12 gauge barrel has the exact same kinetic energy as the same pellet at the same velocity from a 410. The difference is just in the number of pellets in the air, not the "strength" or effective range. What it comes down to is accuracy, if you and the gun/choke are able to put the pellets where they need to be.

The 28 gauge is an awesome gauge and I've killed a bunch of upland birds, waterfowl, turkey and even a deer with it (slug). If I could fine a factory load for high density T shot It would probably work pretty well for yote.

I believe you have identified the problems a 28 gauge user has when considering hunting coyote with the 28. The answers still remain at large.

Back