I need some scattergun advice

Rock Knocker

I'm going to take the shotgun into the woods and try calling some coyotes.

I've got a BPS 28" and I picked up a few boxes of Fedral 3" #4.

I will try patterning it before hand but what choke would you recommend or anything else I should know about?

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerI'm going to take the shotgun into the woods and try calling some coyotes.

I've got a BPS 28" and I picked up a few boxes of Fedral 3" #4.

I will try patterning it before hand but what choke would you recommend or anything else I should know about?

#4 will not work very good on coyotes. Number 4 buckshot will work good on coyotes.

Dont worry, its 4 buckshot. I was just wondering what stock invector chokes others prefer.

Thanks GC, I've gone through that post a bit but it's a bit like a rocket scientist sending a kid a science paper when the kid only asked how to change the batteries on his model rocket launcher.

First thing I would do is to pattern your gun and No. Four Buck loads with your factory improved modified (IM) choke. I'm assuming you have five chokes for your gun? If you want to try an extended choke, know that your bore size is .742" for the Browning BPS. Look for a choke for the lead No. Four Buck that gives .050" - .060" of constriction. Begin around .685" +/- .005". At that point it's like finding a good load for a rifle. You have to fiddle with choke constriction, and shotshells, and shoot patterns until you find the sweet spot.

This was the first gun I paid for back when I was 14, I have 3 chokes for it now and I believe that's what it came with.

Bear with me, I'm not a shotgun guy. I have one here with 3 hash marks on top labeled Mod-Lead and reads on the calipers .725. I believe the choke in the gun has 4 hash marks and is a larger choke and I have one more with a single hash mark that is full. I dont have all the chokes on hand to measure.

I've got a bunch of paper grocery bags I'm going to half fill with snow and that should give me something to measure patterns with.

I know a couple local places that carry choke on the shelf, I dont want to but if I have to...

I was thinking of buying a shorter barrel for the gun also, 22" is as short as they make them.

I've got short barrels, and long barrels, but except for deer slugs I go for the longer ones. Keeps the noise farther away,and keeps the muzzle away from your feet. I think they swing better also, but that's just me.

RK there was a guy here-Rich Cronk with a BPS.He used Kicks "Buckicker X-full" .690.Excellent patterns with 3" 4 buck.Check pages 5,7,8 in the shotgun pattern thread for his posts on chokes loads and patterns.

I as thinking a bit more for portability, I would have a hard time only carrying a shotgun and the barrel on my shotgun now is longer than my whole rifle.

Thanks for the heads up Bernie, I will look into it.

Back