Forgot ammo?

emptymag

Has anyone ever forgot ammo when going on a trip? Or even out for the day?

I always see and hear guys say "well this caliber is carried every where" blah blah blah.

I've traveled all over hunting waterfowl, big game, coyotes and prairie dogs, I've never forgot ammo.

I did run out of ammo on the last afternoon shooting pdogs once. After firing about 1500 or so rounds over 3 1/2 days nothing would wipe the smile off my face, even running out of ammo.

Negative. I keep ammo in my calling bag and about 150 rounds of various types of ammo in my vehicle. Plus I keep every gun I own loaded. I don't like not having ammo or believe in unloaded guns. They're dangerous when they're not loaded.

Never forgot ammo but I did get out to my spot once and discover that i left the magazine at home...hunted all night with a single shot bolt action.

Originally Posted By: rmsaylerNever forgot ammo but I did get out to my spot once and discover that i left the magazine at home...hunted all night with a single shot bolt action.

Never forgot my ammo or magazine....never.

OK, I'll admit, I did fail to replace the bolt after patching the bore dry on a bolt gun once. Discovered it just inside the ranch gate when I went to load the rifle.
blushing.gif
Fortunately, that trip I carried a shotgun as well.

Regards,
hm

only took me one time forgetting my ammo., and that was my very first year of pheasant hunting with a shotgun in my hand. We drove about 2 miles from my families farm and when we got out and were loading our guns getting ready to walk a long draw, I realized I had left my box of ammo. at the house. I was the only one carrying a 4-10 and my brothers wouldn't take me home to get my ammo. Made me carry my single shot with no ammo.

Lessoned learned, I've never left home without ammo. since.

Never forgot anything gun related, but.......

About 10yrs ago I did drive almost 25 miles home before I realized I left my Foxpro at my last stand of the day. Woops!

Had a guy with on a pd shoot that packed 500 rds of 223, but had a 12ga H&R slug gun in the case. Sent son to gun locker and grabbed the wrong H&R. We let him have one morning of first shots with a 17 wsm, after that he got left overs.

It's when the luggage handler at the airport sends your gun to your destination but the bag with the ammo gets sent to timbucktwo that having a weapon with easy to find ammo comes in real handy.

Glasses I've been nearsighted most of my life and after my cataract surgery I was far sighted and can see better without glasses but need them to read. I don't know how many pairs of glasses I've left on a stands, most of them store bought cheaters and how many times I've walked back to find that I stepped on them and crushed them when leaving the stand.

I had a hunting buddy that left his dentures sitting on a fence post and decided he'd rather gum his food to death than wear false teeth. So If you ever run across a set of false teeth near Allenton WI you now know how they got there.

I did leave a nice scrimshaw Oldtimer Knife near the National guard range while skinning a coyote and big Philips screw drive at a farm gate while skinning another.

Last edited:
Once forgot the shells when duck hunting. I was lucky when my buddy got done laughing at me he loaned some of his 12 ga shells. Lesson learned!

Once when I was a teenager I was I charge of putting the guns in the truck allegedly. I failed. I sat with the boat at the landing til the ol man ran back home and got them. Bout 20 min round trip. Never did that again. And will never forget about it. Lol

I have not,however my dad put a box of 243's on the bumper and went to do something else, when he got to his hunting area he only had the 4 shells in the gun. Never fired a shot that day.
lesson learned.

Originally Posted By: LazerusI think I have forgotten just about everything at least once. I can't remember though actually...

That about sums it up for me too.

Back