Bedding thoughts

I call those “Liar Pads.” I’m convinced some manufacturers create a largely free floated forend, even leaving clearance for a dollar bill between the stock and structural reinforcements, but then when a would-be buyer tries to flex the forend, they don’t perceive the tiny flex and those pads bottom out against the barrel, still apparently offering a free float offset.

For my stocks, those pads are the first to go. If the stock flexes, then I reinforce the stock, or replace.

I recently bought a Remington 700, 243, and it has a pad right about the front sling swivel. Its floated before and after all the way to the receiver. I been debating sanding it out. Its the 200th year anniversary model and I kinda hate to do much to it but I'm thinking that pad needs to go.

Sensitivity to action screw torque is a giant neon sign that reads "This rifle needs a good bedding job!!".

Action screw torque, within reasonable limits, is irrelevant with good bedding. If the rifle responds to actions screw torque, it's screaming at you that it's bedding sucks.

Assuming no barrel pressure points of course
laugh.gif

Thanks for putting that in perspective DAA. Truth right there....

Last edited:
When bedding a stock, plastic or wood, I take a small drill bit and drill a variety of small holes for the bedding to bite in to. They don't have to be real deep. Rough up the surface with coarse sand paper as well.

looks good for first time! I dont see any clay residue. Anymore i dont even worry about one getting locked up, I just worry about all the hours getting clay out of all the nooks and crannies!

Here is my first group with factory Remington ammo.
On the fourth shot my wheelchair rolled off a rock as I shot, low right.
This is shooting over a sawhorse in a rocky field at 100yds.
May not be a silk purse but I am very happy with the job.
Also remember this is an advertised 3 shot 1 inch gun.
This is 5 consecutive shots.
I have posted several 5 shot group pictures here under an inch since the first day out of the box.

[img:center][/img]

Back