Are Thermions xp's having any issues?

I'm convinced it's the big heat sink on the side of a chunk of polymer notch half of the way through. Seems like basic thermal expansion 101.

Last edited:
That's what I've always thought and then recently they have been talking about some fasteners loosening. Could be a combination. But my 3rd unit and many maybe most others had perfect units. I still wont go out without checking zero. Havent had to adjust for months.

Sighted my XQ38 in back in September on a new rifle and last week I was about half inch right. I shoot it every other week on paper just to make sure. So far so good except for the time I fell on it on a gravel road and busted the objective .

Ya I've heard of the fastener issue. My last one just lost 0 all at once and wouldnt track back like something broke loose. My other just shifted around.

Last edited:
My hunting partner shoots the Trail XQ50 and it has not given any POI shifts, but it is his second unit. First one was just bad picture, second one better picture but not good as my Apex XQ50. He sent the second one in as well since it had some issues of snowing the screen last summer when the temps were in the 80 degree range. Now it is giving some problems with wanting to freeze on NUC like his shutter is sticking.

He is considering upgrading to the Thermion XP50, but it isn't sounding all that good either. I think he is really disappointed that he can't get a thermal scope that has as good a picture as my Apex. I guess I just got a really good one, but like 6mm06, I think Pulsar had a good product with the Apex line and should have continued producing it.

My 3rd trail has a black circle up in the right hand corner of the screen. A perfect black circle covering about 5% of the upper right quadrant. It doesn't show up on video so I assume it's not on the objective lens. It strangely enough doesn't show up at all in the PIP. Its definitely not a defective pixel. It was apparent first time I turned the unit on. Unit holds perfect zero so no way I'm sending it back for this issue. Its just another example of Pulsars very poor quality control.
r2WPpB4.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I'm convinced it's the big heat sink on the side of a chunk of polymer notch half of the way through. Seems like basic thermal expansion 101.

If it really is the heat sink, why does it seem to not effect the XQ series Trail and I have not heard of the XP38 Trail seeming to have the POI issue...all you hear about are the XP50's. My friend has the XP38 and I have the XQ38 and we do not see this issue and you don't seem to read about the others having this issue...what is it about the XP50 that this seems to be the most impacted model? I would agree wholeheartedly about the heat sink thing if the other models were constantly having this issue. Can't help but think it is something else specific to the XP50.

I’m on my third trail xq. 2 xq30 that went back for poi shift and now I got a xq38 that is gonna go back for poi shift. I don’t know if it is heat sink or something loose but they have all moved. I’m not an expert marksman but I shoot sub inch groups that are 3 to 4 inches away from where gun was zeroed on prior outings. Very frustrating. Also have shot coyotes and when recovered the poi was certainly different from where the crosshairs were when the shot goes off. This is based on slowing down the video of the shot. For example crosshairs behind shoulder when shot goes off and bullet strike is in the neck. That was at about 140 yards. Not sure how I’m going to proceed with pulsar when I send this one back after the season. Was hoping the thermion didn’t have this issue but from what I’m reading here it might be a loser also. I have zero confidence when shooting this gun but I love hunting so I try to get em as close as I can so the deviation isn’t that great and hope I hit them. I’d gladly try any suggestions if anyone has any ideas cause the scope would be awesome if it held zero.

Last edited:
The POI situation was found to be a potential issue across all the Trail models including the XQ series. You probably hear more about the models that have higher sales volume.

I hounded the Pulsar reps at Shot Show about it. Pulsar still swears the return rate on Trails was under 3% but they do admit there was an issue. It absolutely seems more severe in the colder climates. The rep I talked to also seemed to think it was a combination of heat synch and algorithm related. There were also reports of some internal screws causing a problem as well, so there may have been two separate situations. If your Pulsar doesn't shift, that is fantastic.

I am not downplaying the Pulsar POI shifting issue as I was one of the 3%. However, I will say two things about this. First, many people don't have a realistic expectation when it comes to digital scopes whether Night Vision or Thermal. They plain and simply are not as accurate as a glass scope. They have lots of cool features but you are seeing an electronic representation of the surroundings. Second, many people struggle with determining distance at night. If a person believes the coyote is 150 yards away and it is actually 300 yards, that is a big difference. I personally have not struggled with this very much but I read post after post of people misjudging distances.

Originally Posted By: Toro Was hoping the thermion didn’t have this issue but from what I’m reading here it might be a loser also. I have zero confidence when shooting this gun but I love hunting so I try to get em as close as I can so the deviation isn’t that great and hope I hit them. I have been monitoring several forums and facebook groups and P&Ys comment is the first I have heard of a potential Thermion shifting issue. I am not discounting what he is saying, but it seems to be isolated so far.

I have the Thermion XP38. I hope I’m wrong but I did notice some POI issues with my scope. About a month ago, it shifted about 4 inches low after it was sighted in. I adjusted re sighted in and it seemed ok but the other night I wounded a coyote so I said let me check. If you see the picture, I attached. At 30 yards, my laser bore site is about 4 inches low from the aluminum foil. My scope it pointed directly in the center.

Tomorrow, I will go shoot and see if it is really off again…..won’t be happy if so.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/st3bao5b5t1kmg6/20200223_201353.jpg?dl=0

dmarkese anxious to hear how it turns out for you.

What I have found in my two temperature "tests" is about exactly an inch shift at 100 yards. That's shooting a group then letting the scope sit outside for 1/2 hr and shooting again. First time was 18°F and second was -1°F. That's after I noticed the shift had moved roughly 4". A lot less shifting than the Trails but still too much for my use.

Luckily mine hasn't started shutting off again so that's good but I'm always worried it will ruin a hunt.

If the 3% return date is true I must have met all the people who have had Pulsar issues. Better go buy a lottery ticket! I have a friend who is a manager at a store that started carrying them. Looking forward to hearing how he feels about Pulsar a year from now.

Last edited:
First let me say I'm on your side dmarkese. It's hard to tell from the pic, the dimensions of your target, and the distance your zero is off. The target must be roughly 4x4 inches if the laser pointer is 4 inches low. If so I would say the poi has shifted 2 inches lower. I have no experience with Thermions so I don't know how many inches higher the bore axis is above the sight axis. But with the Pulsar Trail I have much experience and on a Trail the bore and sight axis is 3 inches different on most picatinny rail AR mounts. So on a Trail at 25 yards the poi is about 2 inches low if I'm zeroed at 100 yards. What I'm getting at is if that's a 4x4 target I agree you've had a 2 inch poi shift in the vertical. The horizontal looks pretty good. If its only a 2x2 target that's about where I would expect the poi to be at 25 yards. I hope yours is a 2x2 target and we still don't have any confirmed POI shift problems with Thermions.

Dmarkese, did you ever get to shoot and check the suspected poi shift after having to readjust the first time? Just curious, thanks!

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: dmarkese At 30 yards, my laser bore site is about 4 inches low from the aluminum foil. My scope it pointed directly in the center.

Tomorrow, I will go shoot and see if it is really off again…..won’t be happy if so.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/st3bao5b5t1kmg6/20200223_201353.jpg?dl=0

i wouldn't take to much stock in what a laser bore sight shows you. not much at all.

Totally agree that's why I was asking if he had gotten a chance to shoot it. Having to make a 4" adjustment already is not a good sign though.

Back