A good Ar?

Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: BlingOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: varminter .223 You can't even begin to piece an upper together for what they sell for and I've had great luck with accuracy.

Thats a pretty bold statement considering you can buy a simple factory complete rifle for close to $400 now days and can piece one together for not much more than that if you don't go hog wild.
They must have some really good prices if true.
Check em out.
They always have deals and sales coming and going as well.

I did look. I didnt see any 6.5 in stock or a 204. Looked liked was 5.56 223 7.62 and a 12 something. Never heard of the 12s?
12.7x42 numerical designation for 50 Beowulf.
Had to look it up myself.

Ok 10/4 on that. I wasnt aware. Buddy of mine has the 50beowulf

Originally Posted By: BlingOriginally Posted By: varminter .223Originally Posted By: crapshootOriginally Posted By: varminter .223 You can't even begin to piece an upper together for what they sell for and I've had great luck with accuracy.

Thats a pretty bold statement considering you can buy a simple factory complete rifle for close to $400 now days and can piece one together for not much more than that if you don't go hog wild.
They must have some really good prices if true.
Check em out.
They always have deals and sales coming and going as well.

I did look. I didnt see any 6.5 in stock or a 204. Looked liked was 5.56 223 7.62 and a 12 something. Never heard of the 12s?
Ya they dont carry the grendel or the 6.8 spc for reasons I dont understand but as far as .223 wylde, 5.56 and 300 blk they have things covered pretty well. Thay also have good offerings in the straight wall cartridges that most states allow for deer hunting such as the 450 bushmaster and 350 legend.

Last edited:
Other than handguard styles and twist rates the other thing worth learning are the gas system lengths and buffer weight and lengths.
Gas lengths are
Pistol
Carbine
Mid
Rifle
Rifle plus 2

Buffer system are rifle and carbine. There are a couple different carbine weights but they are all the same length and should be used in the proper buffer tube length. The rifle buffer is longer and has to be used in the longer rifle buffer tube. Long buffer in a short tube will not allow enough bolt travel and short buffer in a long tube will allow too much travel and the gas key will crash into the rear of the receiver where the buffer tube screws in.

Shorter gas system are required on shorter barrels to make sure there is enough dwell time for the gas pressure to act on the bolt and cycle the gun properly. Once the bullet passes the gas port there has to be enough barrel length to hold this pressure high enough to cycle the bolt against the resistance of the buffer spring which is acting against the rear of it. The buffer spring cant be too stiff or the bolt wont cycle but to little spring pressure and the bolt wont close properly. Gas port hole size plays a part too.
Not to worry much though because most barrels are gas ported to run fine with a carbine buffer set up and the gas length will be what it needs to be as well.
Sub 16" use carbine or pistol length on the real short stuff
16" barrels will run carbine length of mid length
18" mid length or maybe even rife length
20" and longer rifle length and some of the hot cartridges will run a rifle plus 2" in 22" plus lengths
Dont take these gas lengths to be absolute gospel because there are a few variation that might work differently depending on bore size and cartridge power and pressure level etc. I just threw this out there as a rough baseline for you. I'm sure there are some buffer weight variations as well.

Adjustable gas blocks are also available to tame down an aggressive gas system. Taming down excessive gas is much better than not having enough and needing to drill out the gas port

Last edited:
As far as verifying proper gas your spent case should eject at 2 to 4 oclock (straight out from ejection port) and the bolt should lock open after firing the last round in the mag.

Originally Posted By: varminter .223
Ya they dont carry the grendel or the 6.8 spc for reasons I dont understand but as far as .223 wylde, 5.56 and 300 blk they have things covered pretty well. Thay also have good offerings in the straight wall cartridges that most states allow for deer hunting such as the 450 bushmaster and 350 legend.

BCA actually does make grendel's - but they tend to be a come and go item for them. pick out one you like, and put yourself on the "notify me in stock" email list and you'll be all set.

i own one of their grendel uppers - 20" rifle gas, melonite 1:8 twist 5R barrel, straight fluted, 15" keymod handguard. wanted to wait for it in a side charger but the melonite 5r barrels are one of the rarer combo's they make (aside from the side charger) so i just went ahead with the typical mil-spec style receiver. It was under $200 delivered and is sub moa with factory ammo (hornady 123 SST & 123 ELD-M) so far. Havnent had time to do load workup for it yet, but thats this spring's project.

helluva shooter for under $200 for the complete upper (including bcg and ch)

ive not seen 6.8 uppers there, or 204. here's the caliber list you can get barrels in

Ct1Tvno9TkGHXkCbehWGrw.png

and this is the list of "complete" uppercalibers they sell

a "complete upper" includes bcg and Charging handle, which not all dealers sell their uppers with.

SlRGnfcKSlGYjlg3SsMVLA.png

FWIW - as i understand it, BCA is the manufacturer that makes uppers & barrels for midway under their "AR-Stoner" house brand.

HTH

You're right I misspoke on that one about the Grendel. I guess it's a caliber I've never had interest in so I must have subconsciously overlooked it while posting. Getting on their notify when available list is just about necessity when trying to get some of their uppers. Just about the time you say the heck with it I'll buy the pieces and piece what I want together the hole upper shows up for twenty bucks less the next LOL

Last edited:
Not sure if this goes against the rules or not....but I have a very much like new 6DTI straight from DTech that unfortunately I must sell.

PM me if it's something you're interested in. I love this site, and would like to offer it here first but I don't have enough posts to officially sell an item.

Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerAero Precision has my AR business from now on. I think their enhanced receivers are exactly the upgrades to milspec that I was looking for and after years of banging around my Aero rifle I'm sold that the enhanced simplicity and durability of their new AR15 and AR10 receivers is no gimmick and certainly worth the extra fifty or seventy dollars.

This ^^^ I have several Aero lowers with the Aero lower parts kits. I typically buy a stripped upper and put my own barrels on them. My last 2 were Ballistic Advantage.
kwg

Originally Posted By: kwg020Originally Posted By: Rock KnockerAero Precision has my AR business from now on. I think their enhanced receivers are exactly the upgrades to milspec that I was looking for and after years of banging around my Aero rifle I'm sold that the enhanced simplicity and durability of their new AR15 and AR10 receivers is no gimmick and certainly worth the extra fifty or seventy dollars.

This ^^^ I have several Aero lowers with the Aero lower parts kits. I typically buy a stripped upper and put my own barrels on them. My last 2 were Ballistic Advantage.
kwg

Im new to ars, decided to put one together to learn the basics, then start going the 80% route. I ordered an aero stripped lower and stripped upper. Got a faxon 20" flame fluted match barrel and a 2 stage geisselle trigger. Ordering several books and a dvd on building ars. Need to figure out the rest of the parts ill need, like i believe ill want an adjustable gas block since ill be running suppressed, so i need to figure that out, and which buffer tube and spring apparently is influenced by the fact that ill be using a can. Got a lot to learn.

Well boys bought this today thanks to varminter help

.223 Wylde, 20" Parkerized Spiral Fluted Heavy Barrel, 1:8 Twist, Rifle Length Gas System, 15" MLOK Split Rail|Side Charging Upper

Back