223 bolt action rifle - prairie dogs

bmash

I plan to buy a 223 bolt action for PD. (Lots of brass, bullets, etc already. Have been using an AR but want a bolt gun.)
I typically rebarrel everything so I want a good action. I see Tikka discussed a lot, but really am considering a Remington Model 700 due to vast supply of aftermarket components. I would like something I could shoot a while before spending more money.
Thoughts? Are Model 700s sub MOA or should I go with a Tikka?

I would get a 700 Varmint and add a muzzle break if you want to see you hits. Even with 223's, it is often difficult to see exact bullet impacts.

11 lbs minimum total gun weight

13 even better

mine is 19 plus muzzle break

Forget lightweight rifles for p. dogs.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanI would get a 700 Varmint and add a muzzle break if you want to see you hits. Even with 223's, it is often difficult to see exact bullet impacts.

11 lbs minimum total gun weight

13 even better

mine is 19 plus muzzle break

Forget lightweight rifles for p. dogs.
Totally agree, I love to add heavy barrels and I use a suppressor which is almost as good as a break. I used a lead piece in my AR stock.

Remington 700 ADL is probably the most accurate rifle I own. If not it's dang close. Awesome trigger on that rifle.

Last edited:
If you go with a Remington 700 get one with the aluminum bedding block like the police model mentioned above. It's the H S precision stock Remington started putting on rifles on the 90s. IMO their the most accurate rifles Remington ever built. If you could find one slightly used, say a VSSF, be all you would ever need.
Whatever ya get, get a varmint weight barrel or heavier.

I won't say the Remington is a better rifle than the Savage Mod 12 but with the Savage when you toast the barrel, they are easy to replace and you can do it yourself with minimal tools. Most of the HB Savages I've had shot very good......but so do the Remingtons. Find an older Remington Varmint Special in 223 and fall in love!!!

So many of what was said here I agree with. A nice heavy gun with a break is so good to have. We all love to watch the toss. And if you miss (ahem!) then you can see where you missed and correct.

Remingtons Model 700's have been around for closing in on 60 years. There are literally millions of them out there and have been the sweetheart action for many of a gunsmith. Cannot go wrong there.

Savages like my model 112 (holding in my avatar) and model 12's do make barrel swaps a breeze. But as was mentioned Remage barrels will let you do the same with Model 700's. Got one.

While I have longer range guns than the .223 (.22/250, .220 Swift, .243 AI) the .223 will do over 90% of what the bigger boomers will do and do it with not as much noise and not heat up your barrel as fast. While I would never leave the bigger ones at home, my .223 (and .223 AI) can handle my prairie dog shooting just fine.

As stated, some of the new factory 700's are fine, Tikka is also a great choice and one of my favorites. J.P. Sauer, Browning, Savage and Sako are also great choices. As you said, the 700 will be the easiest to modify and i wouldnt over look and older used VSSF or something similar.

I will try to add images to this post. These are my Savage FV12, .223 factory stock with the plastic stock. Savage rebate during February of $75. Cabelas price $419. Good price for a great shooting rifle.
This link is to three steel targets at 400 yds. 8 shots. 12", 10", 8" targets. https://www.dropbox.com/s/c76unmzzx3dmpyf/IMG_1266.jpg?dl=0
This link is 15 shots at the center bull, 100 yds fiocchi vmax 50gr
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zbld1l8ep1ye7bw/IMG_1479.jpg?dl=0

You can do a lot worse for a lot more money.

Last edited:
Considering the financial, corporate, and political status of Remington, I would recommend ignoring the storied history of the 700, and look elsewhere.

I’ve found few things in life as relaxing as spending a day with good friends at a prairie dog down over a Savage 12 BVSS in 223 rem. They shoot exceptionally small, are produced by a company with a backbone, a company owned by gunfolk FOR gunfolk.

I’m not a fan of the Tikka’s for short action cartridges. They’re smooth, and shoot small, but it’s akin to putting a V6 in an F-250. Aftermarket support is growing, but still quite limited, even compared to the Savage offerings. If you’d ever need to do any modification work at all, naturally.

Well, after reading various responses and internet research, I just couldn’t help myself! I ordered a Deviant Defiance action. About the same price as a Remington rifle and over the next few months I’ll get a barrel, trigger, and chassis and have it put together. I know it will shoot little groups. Thanks for the input guys!

I can second the thought on the Remington Heavy Barrels from the 90s, I have a VS and it’s been my go to varminter for years.

Agree on the Savage 12 FV. Out of the box very good. Switch to any chambering with a Shilen or Criterion and they become phenominel.

Last edited:
I use a bolt gun often, over the AR for dogging. The cadence is fast enough, I like higher hit ratios with slower, more careful shooting.

My usual has been a Mod 70 ‘Coyote’ in 223, 24” barrel. I recently set up a standard weight A-Bolt 223 with a mid-power Zeiss scope. It’s more a hunting rifle than a bench gun. I move around a lot, plus have some porkies moving to close to our camp.

Another issue, there is potential for two younger shooters coming with out West in June. If they make it they’ll use one of my 223 bolt guns, under closer supervision. I have a custom 22-250 that only I shoot.

Back