Coyote 68

Snowshoes

This morning I was greeted with 0*F and snowing heavily which made following my snowmobile trail challenging to see at times.
Set up near a coyote trail and let the first two scruffy ones pass on by. The third one, which was a nice looking pale coyote was on a full out run and not stopping for anything.
A half hour later I see two coyotes walk into a small slough bottom and disappear into the cattails but they never reappear. After an additional 20 minute wait, I figured them to be bedded down, so I use the lay of the land to get within 150 yards of where they should be. With the diaphragm reed I give a series of yelps which brings one of the coyotes to the edge. With crosshairs placed on the shoulder area, I send a 52 gr hp from the 223 on its way. Coyote number 68 drops where it stood. The other coyote bust out of the cattails and I took a couple running shots but never connected.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lockrotorVery nice looking one. Looks like a young one. Too bad you did get one of the others to tumble.
Congrats on #68.
It wasn't a big coyote (especially compared to the other one that I missed)
The first shot on the "runner" felt really good but it wasn't to be.
Originally Posted By: fratriVery nice, congrats on 68..... Really enjoy reading the stories and seeing your pics
Thanks fratri, my goal now is 70 for the season but my time is running short!
Originally Posted By: HellgateDo you use the 52gr HP from Speer or is it a boat tail match bullet from Sierra or Hornady?
The bullets I'm using in the 223 are the Berger 52 gr HP Varmint

Great reads. I thoroughly enjoy them and envy your coyote rich country.

Ill have to go back through your posts this year and add the yardages to the excel spreadsheet of known shot distances.

One thing I keep forgetting to ask you is, what power is your scope set on for most of your shots?

Good luck to 70!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: emptymagGreat reads. I thoroughly enjoy them and envy your coyote rich country.

Ill have to go back through your posts this year and add the yardages to the excel spreadsheet of known shot distances.

One thing I keep forgetting to ask you is, what power is your scope set on for most of your shots?

Good luck to 70!
Thank you emptymag
I was intrigued with your findings for last year’s average yardages and would be interested about this years also.
Probably the majority of my shots, I would have the scope set @ 12-14 x range. I do like the option of zooming up to a higher setting if need be. (22-25 x)

Originally Posted By: Snowshoes
emptymag said:
Great reads. I thoroughly enjoy them and envy your coyote rich country.

Good luck to 70!
Thank you emptymag
I was intrigued with your findings for last year’s average yardages and would be interested about this years also.
Probably the majority of my shots, I would have the scope set @ 12-14 x range. I do like the option of zooming up to a higher setting if need be. (22-25 x)

Wow, surprised by that.... I tend to keep mine on the lowest power 4x seldom turning it pass 7x....interesting to know....

Back