Are Thermions xp's having any issues?

varminter .223

So the last couple days my trail xp50 has been shifting point of impact a little bit again. Today I shot it to test a cycling issue I have been fighting. Point of impact was 4 in higher than it was last night and the temperatures are similar.
No doubt I think this one is taking a dump just like the last two I had. That is 3 defective units since October 2017.
I'm going to call Monday and see what my options are. I'm curious if anyone has any feedback on how the 640 core Thermions are doing. If I send this unit in I'm considering buying a 35 mm Hogster R to get me through the season. It would also give me an idea of how those look in comparison to Pulsar 640 stuff.
I'm hoping to hear the thermions are not shifting POI but I know they're having some other issues with bad pixels on the displays.

Last edited:
I haven’t heard of POI issues with the Thermion. Battery life is less than Trail and no RAV. People seem pleased with them. I will write up a comparison chart later on comparisons spec wise to the Hogster. For almost 2x the cost, I would hope the XP50 has some advantages. To some, it doesn’t justify the price difference, and to others it does.

Originally Posted By: KirschI haven’t heard of POI issues with the Thermion. Battery life is less than Trail and no RAV. People seem pleased with them. I will write up a comparison chart later on comparisons spec wise to the Hogster. For almost 2x the cost, I would hope the XP50 has some advantages. To some, it doesn’t justify the price difference, and to others it does.

Kirsch, according to Pulsar specs on the Thermion XP50 it does have the RAV...

http://pulsarnv.com/thermion/

I just read through the online manual for the Thermion and could find nothing about automatic shot recording otherwise known as RAV. It does have recording but I can’t find anything about automatic shot recording. I don’t own a thermion, but have seen numerous posts saying the Thermion doesn’t have it. I didn’t see it on the link you included but just might be blind.

This was discussed Previously and the consensus seemed to be no but maybe being added later.

I just picked up a new XP38 Thermion this weekend and it does not have it. I'm okay with that because I'd prefer to catch the approach on video anyway.

Unfortunately I'm still waiting on a barrel so likely won't field the unit until next season. If I get a wild hair and use it on another rig before this season ends I'll provide my thoughts. So far I love the controls and metal construction. It seems like it'll be a lot more durable than the Trail.

Originally Posted By: KirschI just read through the online manual for the Thermion and could find nothing about automatic shot recording otherwise known as RAV. It does have recording but I can’t find anything about automatic shot recording. I don’t own a thermion, but have seen numerous posts saying the Thermion doesn’t have it. I didn’t see it on the link you included but just might be blind.

This was discussed Previously and the consensus seemed to be no but maybe being added later.

Here is what it says in the link...

Video and Still-Photo
Recording
Integrated video (including recoil-activated) and still image recording in MPEG-4 and .jpg makes sharing the thermal action quick and easy. The onboard 16-GB internal memory handles recoil flawlessly and stores hours of videos and thousands of photos.

Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: KirschI just read through the online manual for the Thermion and could find nothing about automatic shot recording otherwise known as RAV. It does have recording but I can’t find anything about automatic shot recording. I don’t own a thermion, but have seen numerous posts saying the Thermion doesn’t have it. I didn’t see it on the link you included but just might be blind.

Video and Still-Photo
Recording
Integrated video (including recoil-activated) and still image recording in MPEG-4 and .jpg makes sharing the thermal action quick and easy. The onboard 16-GB internal memory handles recoil flawlessly and stores hours of videos and thousands of photos.

I fired up my Thermion and couldn't find anything about this or where to activate it in the menu. Perhaps I'm missing it but it is entirely possible that the manual is wrong.

I hate to say it but my thermion shifts. I can provide more specific info if you like. I've only done one warm to cold "test" at this point, a few hours ago actually. I've missed many, many coyotes in the short time I've had it.

I fear there is a battery issue that will be another deal breaker. The coldest outing I've had (-1°F) it drained the removable battery within about ten minutes and then shut off. It would not stay on for more than a few seconds until it was warmed back up.

Additionally, now I don't know if it's a problem specific to my unit or just my eyesight but I can't get as good a picture as I could with the trails or my Helion. Hard to explain but it's always too bright or light colored. Other issues I have had so far is all the buttons are a pain to operate, the dial turret is way too sensitive and stream vision is still glitchy. The lense cover on mine broke almost immediately. There is no RAV that I'm aware of but knew that going in.

I was in the same position as you and really hoped Pulsar could come up with a functional product. There are things I do like about the scope but I'd strongly recommend against a thermion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: P&YI hate to say it but my thermion shifts. I can provide more specific info if you like. I've only done one warm to cold "test" at this point, a few hours ago actually. I've missed many, many coyotes in the short time I've had it.

I fear there is a battery issue that will be another deal breaker. The coldest outing I've had (-1°F) it drained the removable battery within about ten minutes and then shut off. It would not stay on for more than a few seconds until it was warmed back up.

Additionally, now I don't know if it's a problem specific to my unit or just my eyesight but I can't get as good a picture as I could with the trails or my Helion. Hard to explain but it's always too bright or light colored. Other issues I have had so far is all the buttons are a pain to operate, the dial turret is way too sensitive and stream vision is still glitchy. The lense cover on mine broke almost immediately. There is no RAV that I'm aware of but knew that going in.

I was in the same position as you and really hoped Pulsar could come up with a functional product. There are things I do like about the scope but I'd strongly recommend against a thermion.

Man that bites... glad I got away from Pulsar, just too much $$$ to have problems.

Well I went out and shot it again this morning and it was about an inch high and right just off the edge of a small hand warmer folded in half. I gave it a half a number left and put 4 in the hand warmer. Two were slightly right after the scope had been on standby and two dead center after walking to the berm with it on. There is definitely something to letting that heat sink warm up but the other day it was only maybe 45 degrees it should not have been 4 inches high. I did notice the heat sink was very warm to the touch though yesterday or at least warmer than it normally is in 40 degree Temps. I don't know if the bright sunshine warm that black scope up that much more or what. I have noticed on sunnier days that the scope does feel warmer to the touch. Doesn't seem like something a fellow should have to pay attention to with Optics LOL.

Last edited:
Mine has been great. Shot three inside of 1.5” on a toe warmer this morning at 190yds No complaints at all with my xp50. It does not have recoil activated recording like my trail did. Hopefully in a future update. Sorry yours is acting up varminter. I assume you will send it in.

I will add that I can get through 3 sets in 4hrs with the internal and one aps 3 battery but I do bring a spare. It’s not like the huge life of a trail. And I love the red monochrome. That alone was worth the upgrade. It seems clearer to me too. But the trail was good also. My buddy bought mine. I have hunted in temps from single digits to mid 40s and again no complaints.

The more and more I contemplate this the only times I think I've had big POI shifts we're shooting it in the daytime when the sun was bright. As crazy as it sounds I think that black scope sucks up quite a bit more heat.

Originally Posted By: woodsy25Originally Posted By: G AndersonOriginally Posted By: KirschI just read through the online manual for the Thermion and could find nothing about automatic shot recording otherwise known as RAV. It does have recording but I can’t find anything about automatic shot recording. I don’t own a thermion, but have seen numerous posts saying the Thermion doesn’t have it. I didn’t see it on the link you included but just might be blind.

Video and Still-Photo
Recording

I fired up my Thermion and couldn't find anything about this or where to activate it in the menu. Perhaps I'm missing it but it is entirely possible that the manual is wrong.

Ya, I'm not saying that the Thermions actually do have the RAV function...just that it does say so in the information in the link provided...ironically in my old Trail XQ38 manual it does not tell how to activate the RAV function either but my XQ38 certainly has it and I use it extensively. Their manuals really leave a lot to be desired for sure.

My xp50 Thermion has about 50 dead pixels. I have talked to a few others with the same issues. Pulsar has fixed their scopes and said they would fix mine.

No POI shift on my Thermion but I dont get really anal about testing it. Every time I check zero it is within an inch of where I had it. Always left and right movement.

I will say I hunted with it the other night when it was 15 degrees. My removable battery lasted about and hour in the cold. I need to buy more batteries but they are out of stock almost everywhere.

Originally Posted By: dozer_xjMy xp50 Thermion has about 50 dead pixels. I have talked to a few others with the same issues. Pulsar has fixed their scopes and said they would fix mine.

No POI shift on my Thermion but I dont get really anal about testing it. Every time I check zero it is within an inch of where I had it. Always left and right movement.

I will say I hunted with it the other night when it was 15 degrees. My removable battery lasted about and hour in the cold. I need to buy more batteries but they are out of stock almost everywhere.

Have you tried pixel repair. I seem to read a lot of threads with pulsar complaints but the three I have owned (helion, trail and thermion) have all performed well so far. Knock on wood.

Originally Posted By: moog5050Originally Posted By: dozer_xjMy xp50 Thermion has about 50 dead pixels. I have talked to a few others with the same issues. Pulsar has fixed their scopes and said they would fix mine.

Have you tried pixel repair. I seem to read a lot of threads with pulsar complaints but the three I have owned (helion, trail and thermion) have all performed well so far. Knock on wood.

Pixel repair,not only is grossly time consuming but also does not repair the pixels. It kills them and blends them with surrounding. Unacceptable for a $5k scope I owned for a week

My Apex XQ38 is still going strong, holds zero well and none of the POI issues reported with the Trail models, and now problems with the Thermion. Sometimes simple is better.

Originally Posted By: dozer_xjOriginally Posted By: moog5050Originally Posted By: dozer_xjMy xp50 Thermion has about 50 dead pixels. I have talked to a few others with the same issues. Pulsar has fixed their scopes and said they would fix mine.

Pixel repair,not only is grossly time consuming but also does not repair the pixels. It kills them and blends them with surrounding. Unacceptable for a $5k scope I owned for a week

Fair enough. Hope they fix you up ASAP.

I cant recall ever hearing an Apex model having poi change issues. They have basically the same polymer type bodies don't they. But no heat sink.

Last edited:
Back