Barrel questions + other build questions

SouthTXBowhunter

My youngest son (14) has decided he wants to be a predator hunter, like dad. So, I'm looking to set up an AR for him as "his" predator gun.... so I can have mine back. Lol! I want to make his better than mine and more suited to his frame/size. While my 12.5" (Noveske Stainless barrel) suppressed rifle isn't super heavy, I'd like to lighten the load for him and make it really accurate So....I'm looking at JP barrels. and I'm wondering about the accuracy potential of their "Ultralight" profile in our application? I'm looking to build him a sub-MOA capable rifle that can keep that accuracy for a 3-4 round (at most) string - picture shooting one coyote and then taking 2-3 shots at it's mate, running out of there. I'm wondering whether the "ultralight contour" will heat up enough in a 3-4 shot string to open the group up significantly? I'm much more of a precision bolt guy and don't have to worry about heat with the heavier barrels I use on them. I'm hoping for some responses like, "Don't worry about the JP Ultralight contour barrels - they won't get hot enough in a predator hunting scenario to cause accuracy problems." Lol! My other concern is whether having a suppressor on the end of a ultralight barrel is going to cause accuracy problems? He'll either be shooting a SiCO Omega or a Thinderbeast Ultra 7 can. He really likes shooting suppressed. Who can blame him? Here are the barrels (each says "MOA or better") I'm looking at, with their respective weights:

10.5" 5.56 - 1/8 twist - Light contour - 22oz
13.5" 5.56 - 1/8 twist - Light contour - 24.4oz
14.5" .223 Wylde- 1/7 twist - Ultralight contour - 18oz
14.5" .223 Wylde- 1/7 twist - Light contour - 25oz

That 14.5" Ultralight is a couple of inches longer than my rifle that he normally shoots but it'd be 10.5oz lighter and he'd gain a little velocity and stability. I don't think he'd be giving up that much wieldability with the extra couple of inches; especially with the weight reduction. Do you? We rarely take shots over 150yds where we hunt and many are inside 100yds; but we do end up taking quite a bit of head shots on bobcats that like to get hung up in the South Texas brush. So, I'm definitely looking to build him something he can grow into both physically as well as with his shooting ability. He's a [beeep] good shot naturally already - better than I was when I was his age.

JP barrels come with matched bolts and I'm considering getting him one of their adjustable "Variable Mass Bolt Carriers" to go with the Silent Capture Spring system in his Noveske NFA billet lower. I've got a TriggerTech Diamond and a Geiselle SSA-e trigger to choose from but I'll probably start with the Geiselle because he'
s been shooting that same trigger in my rifle. His build is also going to have a adjustable gas block on it, although I haven't decided on which one - it may be the JP gas block just to make things easy. I have a new billet Noveske upper receiver, a lightly used Mega upper and an old Larue Stealth upper to play with.

What do y'all think about these barrels and which one to choose?

Anyone have personal experience with these contours from JP?

Thanks to those that reply!

Here is one option:

V7

Another option may be to look at carbon fiber barrels?

3-4 shots will be no problem in .223 REM.

Any barrel that is threaded will have adverse affects on accuracy. A large suppressor does not help either. But you are not going for 1/4 MOA so it really does not matter much.

Glad to hear your son is shooting so well! My youngest is 16 months. He has a ways to go yet.

for another good barrel option Take a look at the line up of the BA, hanson profile barrels

Last edited:
I just picked up an18 barrel from Rainer arms with a 90 day no question ask return policy and under moa guarantee.weight 1 of 15 ounces 209.00

Originally Posted By: Breezefor another good barrel option Take a look at the line up of the BA, hanson profile barrels

I have a 10.5" 300blk barrel from them that didn't impress me but maybe that was a fluke. It shoots about 1.5moa at 100yds which, to me, is not acceptable. I still have it because I can play with it and shoot close-in setups; but it's on my list to replace as well. You think this was just a fluke? It is awfully short and I'm guessing a barrel with another few inches will definitely help improve accuracy.

Originally Posted By: 70sdiverI just picked up an18 barrel from Rainer arms with a 90 day no question ask return policy and under moa guarantee.weight 1 of 15 ounces 209.00

How is it shooting?

Originally Posted By: SouthTXBowhunter
10.5" 5.56 - 1/8 twist - Light contour - 22oz
13.5" 5.56 - 1/8 twist - Light contour - 24.4oz
14.5" .223 Wylde- 1/7 twist - Ultralight contour - 18oz
14.5" .223 Wylde- 1/7 twist - Light contour - 25oz

I noticed the short barrel options you are considering for the build.

I assume you know that you will have to register the lower as a SBR build with a Form 1 and have it engraved or else call it a pistol build and use an ATF approved "brace" for the buttstock?

I was told that you did not have to have the lower engraved with a Form 1 but I just finished a 12.5 inch 6.8SPC build and the ATF made the notation on my Form 1 that the lower had to be engraved.

Last edited:
I have 2 JP barrels and I'm very pleased with them. However, both are not light barrels and they are 22". My 223 wylde with JP barrel build is likely my most accurate rifle. It has done multiple 5 shot groups at 100 yards under 1/2". I did a 5 shot group yesterday at 200 yards that was less about 1/2". In my JP barrels the groups will hold for the first 10 shots but after about 20 shots the barrel has heated up enough that the groups open up.

Back