States that allow uncased gun in truck ?

I did several years back. Took my dog and slept in the truck. Hunted mostly the SE part. First and only time, so I did a bunch of scouting. Don't remember too much from it. Sorry

The WDFW director told me last year that a loaded firearm in a vehicle was the number one game citation in WA.
I know several guys who got cited for leaning a loaded rifle against the truck or put it on the hood.

The LEO that writes that ticket for leaning a loaded rifle against the truck while the hunter is trying to open doors, get out of his pack, ect. is a chickenchit.

Originally Posted By: GCThe LEO that writes that ticket for leaning a loaded rifle against the truck while the hunter is trying to open doors, get out of his pack, ect. is a chickenchit.

I agree and obviously it keeps happening so they are not too proud to continue with it.

Gotspot You are partly correct on the gun rules. You can have a long gun loaded in magazine but not in barrel,unless there is a big game season going on then no ammo in mag and you have to have it in a case. Not a case that fits on a 4 wheeler unless the case is put together and the pin that holds it closed is in place.You can carry a handgun loaded in vehicle or on your person as long as it isn't concealed as long as you have a hunting lic. with out a concealed carry permit. You can open carry anywhere in Colo. except in state,county courts schools and federal buildings,or a bar.You have to surrender the handgun to the bartender or lock it in your car.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Yotey SlayerAnyone ever hunted coyotes on BLM land in new Mexico?

All the time.

In NM, anything goes. Uncased, loaded, have at it.

I don't have a case that any of the scary black guns would fit into, not like there's any beautiful wood on them. I do feel sorry for you guys that have all kinds of crazy laws to remember.

Last edited:
South Dakota is good to go and mine is loaded all of the time it travels with the bolt up. Its also perfectly legal to shoot anything classified as varmint/predator from a vehicle. Although all other small game/ big game you can not shoot from a vehicle or even lean against your vehicle to shoot them.

One of the more bizarre vehicle laws we do have is that on an atv a long gun must cased while you travel but don't need to be cased in a utv.

Dont come to Illinois. Everything must be cased and unload. Loaded mags cant be in the gun either. Conceal carry is obviously different. Must be off of right away before gun is loaded too.
Heck now they are trying to make it illegal for us to pump our own gas. What's next????

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223
Heck now they are trying to make it illegal for us to pump our own gas. What's next????

Oregon is that way, One day , not thinking I jumped out and started to fuel up when a guy comes running over yelling "hey you can't do that". I said that's dumb and it's uncomfortable having someone put their nozzle in my tank.
He replied "I don't think so because I have a job!."
So there you have it, taking your rights away is called job creation.

I didnt read all posts but in MICHIGAN no UN cased guns in vehicle, loaded or unloaded-dont do it.--also NO in or ON and that included shooting from the bed of pickup or across the hood of any vehicle.
Those rules include 4 wheelers and snowmobiles--boats ??? I dont know but Id bet NOT ALLOWED as in duck hunting.

As someone else mentioned NO LEANING a gun against the vehicle if anyone is foolish enough to do that---yuck.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 22 ChuckI didnt read all posts but in MICHIGAN no UN cased guns in vehicle, loaded or unloaded-dont do it.--also NO in or ON and that included shooting from the bed of pickup or across the hood of any vehicle.
Those rules include 4 wheelers and snowmobiles--boats ??? I dont know but Id bet NOT ALLOWED as in duck hunting.

As someone else mentioned NO LEANING a gun against the vehicle if anyone is foolish enough to do that---yuck.

you cant shoot one from a vehicle unless you're disabled, but you can totally CPL carry an ar-pistol in your vehicle fully loaded and uncased, but only if its under 26" OAL.

however - you can carry an uncased AND unloaded firearm in a vehicle, but it has to be in the trunk area and unaccessable by the passengers for it to be legal.

Quote:At all times when carried in or on a motor vehicle, including snowmobiles:

Rifles, shotguns, muzzleloading and other firearms must be unloaded in both barrel and magazine and enclosed in a case or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.
Crossbows, slingshots, and bows and arrows must be enclosed in a case or unstrung or carried in the trunk of a vehicle.

https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-350-79136_79772_79773_83478-31579--,00.html

it also specifically exempts CPL

Quote:Exception: These rules do not apply to a pistol carried under authority of a concealed pistol license or properly carried under authority of a specific exception from the requirement of a concealed pistol license. See Statewide Handgun Regulations.

one other thing to note about michigan transport law when it comes to long guns - the term "unloaded in both barrel and magazine" only applies to permanently attached magazines - (internal box magazine, or tubular style magazines). a long gun that uses a detachable magazine is considered unloaded if there is no magazine in the magwell of the firearm.

so you can legally transport an unloaded, cased firearm with a loaded detachable magazine inside the case with the firearm. just make sure its not in the magwell, and your chamber is empty.

with a zip-open case, this can make for easy access and hunting readiness in a "truck gun" situation, while still following state law as it applies to firearm transport.

HTH

Guys thanks for the responses. It is kind of interesting to see what the different states permit. It seems like the Mid west states are the sticklers. ILL , Iowa , Michigan not sure of Wisconsin demand a cased long gun of any kind in a Vehicle. You guys in the western USA have it lucky. I think my home state of ILL is the worse. When calling coyote your worn out after 3 stands just putting everything back in cases and then down the road 7 miles and digging it all out again to set up on calling stand for 30 minutes. . Marty

Last edited:
I think in California you can only have a sling shot which must be in a case. Ha ha ha. Just kidding you California hunters. Ha ha ha. MD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NDAR15MANGuys thanks for the responses. It is kind of interesting to see what the different states permit. It seems like the Mid west states are the sticklers. ILL , Iowa , Michigan not sure of Wisconsin demand a cased long gun of any kind in a Vehicle. You guys in the western USA have it lucky. I think my home state of ILL is the worse. When calling coyote your worn out after 3 stands just putting everything back in cases and then down the road 7 miles and digging it all out again to set up on calling stand for 30 minutes. . Marty

You're right on the weird laws. From the rifle cartridge to slug guns only, they just don't seem to make sense to me.

What really irks me is the term "Midwest", I know it's been used forever but it's wrong. The geographic center of the lower 48 is roughly 90 miles North EAST of me, therefore, how could IL, OH, IA be midWEST.

I know that this is how it's always been said but it still makes no sense to me. Rant over, I feel better now.

Also be aware that some state laws are different than the same states hunting laws during hunting season. In MD. you can have a loaded mag (not in the firearm) in the vehicle. But during hunting season that would not be legal according to Natural Resource Police (Game Warden).

Originally Posted By: Bear Gotspot You are partly correct on the gun rules. You can have a long gun loaded in magazine but not in barrel,unless there is a big game season going on then no ammo in mag and you have to have it in a case. Not a case that fits on a 4 wheeler unless the case is put together and the pin that holds it closed is in place.You can carry a handgun loaded in vehicle or on your person as long as it isn't concealed as long as you have a hunting lic. with out a concealed carry permit. You can open carry anywhere in Colo. except in state,county courts schools and federal buildings,or a bar.You have to surrender the handgun to the bartender or lock it in your car.

This is not what I recall. Can you link to something that shows it definitively?

My recollection is that your vehicle is an extension of your home and as such you can carry concealed in your car or your home, but as soon as you step out, you need a concealed carry permit. I also have never heard anything regarding needing a hunting license to carry a handgun. Pretty sure there is no rule disallowing a loaded mag during a hunting season.

6724 It must have been 6-8 years ago that they changed it. I first found out about the change when I was hunting elk east of Colbran Co.when I was stopped by game warden for license check. He checked everything and when he found mag full but barrel empty he gave me a warning ticket for ammo in the mag. Land owner can have mag full on own property but not the general hunting public during any big game season.

I also have never read or heard of this rule, "no ammo in the mag during big game season" here in Colo.
makes me wonder if something like what happened to my co-worker just last year when they stopped to get gas during pheasant season, game warden pulls into the gas station and sees that my co-worker and his friend have been hunting and decides to check them. When the game warden checks for a plug in my co-workers shotgun, he finds that he can almost fit more then 2 shells in the magazine of his shotgun. Co-worker had used a broken off pencil and indeed, you could ALMOST get 3 shells in the mag. Game warden gave him a warning for it.

A warning for what? You couldn't stuff 3 shells in there and that is not breaking a law, yet he got a warning. Bunch of BS.

Back