Coyotes 65 & 66

Snowshoes

With a breeze from the southeast, I had a spot in mind that would suit such a wind direction . Parked in the yard site of a hog farm and from there ventured eastward to a dugout. Set up on the dirt bank in front of a heavy patch of sweet clover and brome grass, which offered me a good view of a treed fence line and field.
I start off with a couple howls which immediately gets aggressive response howls from the trees to the northeast. Theses coyotes are close and I highly anticipated to see coyotes in short order but that never happened.
After a 5 minute wait, I try some cottontail distress and within a half minute I see a westbound coyote who is paralleling the treed fence line.
When the coyote drops into a dip, I move the bi-pod and rifle into position to where the coyote should reappear.
A few seconds later the coyote is in full view and with a vocal bark, I stop it long enough to send a 64 gr hp from the 223AI on its way.

Knowing this to be a scruffy looking coyote, I really should have scanned the area over before shooting. The crack of the rifle sent 3 other coyotes back into the trees. Too focused on the single, I failed to see the other three who were behind it 60 or so yards.
For some reason, one of the coyotes leaves the safety of the trees and heads south across the field. Following the coyotes progress through the scope, I manage to stop it with some vocal howls. Raised the cross hairs some and touched off a shot. Seeing the coyote drop was rewarding enough but later ranging the shot at 273 yards just made it that much sweeter!

Great job on getting 2 this morning. I saw 5 this morning and only one was coming to my call. It stop 275yd away behind a big tree in the field and wouldn't come any closer and of coarse left with tree between me and it. Fun too see that many on one stand. Disappointing nothing wanted to play. Tomorrow is another day. Again CONGRATS on those number you have gotten this year so far.

Are these coyotes just starting to rub? Or is some type of mange or mite?

Either way awesome shooting thanks for sharing the story n pics

Nice shooting. Breeding season has the calling pretty good right now. Killed 7 last week! Too bad about the mites though.

Originally Posted By: AWSLooks like you have everything under control. Good job.
Organized Chaos
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: lockrotorGreat job on getting 2 this morning. I saw 5 this morning and only one was coming to my call. It stop 275yd away behind a big tree in the field and wouldn't come any closer and of coarse left with tree between me and it. Fun too see that many on one stand. Disappointing nothing wanted to play. Tomorrow is another day. Again CONGRATS on those number you have gotten this year so far.
Thanks, lockrotor
Too bad those coyotes held up on you...
Originally Posted By: DVXDUDEAre these coyotes just starting to rub? Or is some type of mange or mite?

Either way awesome shooting thanks for sharing the story n pics
Shoulder mites on the first one.
Originally Posted By: YotarunnerNice shooting. Breeding season has the calling pretty good right now. Killed 7 last week! Too bad about the mites though.
I'm seeing them in the wide open and in groups! Coyote breeding season is upon us
smile.gif

Back