Price check on a Ruger 77 Mkll 220 swift

JLJ223

Guy in the local classifieds has a Ruger in 220 swift, standard weight barrel, MKll, has a cheap bushnell banner 10X on it, Guy is wanting $1500 which I think is way off the mark, am I wrong? Would like to have the rifle, want a fair deal for both, we have started to exchange emails but I am afraid with his asking price and what I might be willing to do on it that I might be wasting both our times. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know about your area but up here in Canada that gun goes for roughly $700-1000 I payed $650 for mine in ok shape.

For about $600 more or less you can have a premium barrel installed on a Ruger. By a real gunsmith, and you know it's not shot out.

A guy always has one at the local gun shows. Although its a HB model, its not pristine but not to bad. He wants $900 and he's had if for sale for at least 2 years, maybe longer. I've seen some as low as $500 but $650-$700 would be max for me. But that's just me.

Yeah I almost didn’t respond to the guy because his price was so off the mark, I mean I don’t want to insult anybody but on the other hand you don’t want to be taken for a ride either.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogHe's waiting on a sucker.

Yeah, my same thoughts. Unless you knew the round count and it was low I would pass on it. My first Swift was a M77V from around 1975. What a shooter it was too.

I had 2 tang safety swifts in the 90's, one bull and one sporter. Both shot great, didn't give more than $350 for either of them. I traded each off like an idiot. What a great coyote rifle that sporter would have made.

He's high still IMO. I'd probably consider one at $650 in today's money.

If it was a red pad, NIB, unfired, it might be worth more but $1500 is way to high. But its his rifle and he can ask what he wants for it. Getting it might not be as easy though.

Thanks again guys for the replies, probably won’t be able to make a deal on this rifle but that’s the way it goes sometimes.

About a year ago I paid $1100 for a 1970 Ruger Model 77, ‘flat-bolt’ Rifle in 284 Winchester. It had bases & rings with 40 rounds of ammo and some empty cases. The condition was almost minty.

I would 1st date the rifle with the serial number. The earliest model 77’s in nice shape command over $1k, to the right buyer. Yes, still a bit high, not many buyers at that range for that rifle.

I see a MKII, likely sit for sale.

I like mine, 224 round count. Gray with rings and Gray Leupold 4.5X14.
It is all stock, nice wood.

fdrCylo.jpg

Originally Posted By: JLJ223He has came down to $600 I might end up doing this.

There are game players every where. Some are just slower to realize what reality is than others. Some never learn.

Asking $1500 for something that he and the entire world knows is not worth it is not a good way to try to sell anything. Even the dumbest capitalist selling something knows that. JMO......

Originally Posted By: pyscodogIf the bore looks good and the rifles clean $600 is a livable figure to me.

Ditto that. That's reasonable right there.

Back