What scanner alongside thermal vision.

Ohiolongarm

What type of scanning light can work well with thermal,if you don't want to continuously scan with the scope?I'm not interested in a thermal scanner,i've already spent a pile of $ on the Pulsar XM 50.

Although I agree with Funkeruski, the XM50 has such a narrow field of view and high base magnification, it really isn't conducive to scanning with the rifle. If you didn't want to look through the scope the whole time, Pulsar has the StreamVision app, and you could transmit to a phone and rotate the gun on a tripod and watch via the screen. However, as already mentioned the extremely small field of view, will limit the effectiveness of this process.

Anything you choose for a light is going to diminish the effectiveness of the using the thermal. Nothing is going to spot them as far as your thermal will. Once you can see them with the lights (if you haven't spooked them already), they are probably getting pretty close to use the XM50.

This is going to be hard to hear, but I would recommend going with a different thermal scope with a wider field of view if you want to scan with your rifle or even better going with a thermal scanner, and shooting with thermal, night vision, or digital night vision (if you are trying to save money). It doesn't sound like the XM50 was the best option for your needs. Sorry, I know that isn't what anybody wants to hear.

My thermal scanner froze up on me the other night so I found myself using my gun/scope to scan. I almost went home. You don't realize how much a wide fov and freedom of a hand held scanner means until you have to do without it.

Originally Posted By: BradsbirdsMy thermal scanner froze up on me the other night so I found myself using my gun/scope to scan. I almost went home. You don't realize how much a wide fov and freedom of a hand held scanner means until you have to do without it. Totally agree. If someone told me I had to hunt coyotes at night without a thermal scanner, I would probably stop hunting at night.

Thx,for now i'll have to make do,i'll still do better with what I have now than what I didn't have before.I may eventually get a thermal scanner,as of now the Thermion XM is impressive,even beyond what I expected.Pulsars LE discount is what sealed the deal.And THX for your expert advice i'm a newcomer at night vision optics.

This is going to be hard to hear, but I would recommend going with a different thermal scope with a wider field of view if you want to scan with your rifle or even better going with a thermal scanner, and shooting with thermal, night vision, or digital night vision (if you are trying to save money). It doesn't sound like the XM50 was the best option for your needs. Sorry, I know that isn't what anybody wants to hear. [/quote]

Kirsch what would you recommend in this situation? I have also been kicking around getting a Therimon XM50 but have limited funds to work with. Is there a cheaper priced thermal that would work for both or would it be better to bite the bullet and get both a scanner and a thermal scope? Your recommendation on say $4 to $5000 budget?

There is a Flir PS-32 320x240 thermal monocular for $850 in the classified adds right now. Probably isn't optimal but might work. I don't know anything about them but others here might.

Buy the Helion xp-38 ,it has a wide field of veiw ,and you won't be overlooking a dog coming to the call. Great resolution and easy handling,you won't be sorry.
You'll be able to get on them quick with the Thermion after locating in the scanner.

Xp38 Helion would be my 1st choice. Handheld is a must. XM thermion have too small of a fov to expect to keep track of everything. That the problem with the thermal game...its sort of all or nothing.
I would absolutely not incorporate lights into my hunt.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HouseCatKirsch what would you recommend in this situation? I have also been kicking around getting a Therimon XM50 but have limited funds to work with. Is there a cheaper priced thermal that would work for both or would it be better to bite the bullet and get both a scanner and a thermal scope? Your recommendation on say $4 to $5000 budget? The Helion XP38 that Varminter223 recommends is very good, but you are using up almost your entire budget on the scanner. However a person could go with that and digital night vision.

However, I would probably go with a Hogster-R 25mm as a scanner and a Hogster-R 35mm as your weapon's site, and then you've got thermal for both, and still be in budget.

The Thermion XM50 has a 5.5x base magnification and a 4.4x3.3 degree field of view. This is designed for long range, open field shooting. Definitely not ideal to be used for scanning. If you aren't in a hurry and want something in the Thermion lineup, Pulsar announced they will be adding a Thermion XQ38 and a Thermion XQ50 (best guess summer). I still would recommend a handheld scanner to use in conjunction, but they will probably be in the mid 2-3x range for base mag.

Both of those scopes are now available according to Sightmarks law enforcement division in Texas.While my field of view is smaller,that means more patience to make the shot,my shots here in Northeast Ohio will be in the neighborhood of 75 / 300 yards max. The Thermion will do it,I had the luxury of trying one before, I bought mine which is backordered for a month.While the XM 50 might have a smaller field of view ,it is way overkill for my application,mine was on ,the one I borrowed was on a 22 hornet. I'll post results here within a day ,trying to navigate through the picture posting.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: HouseCatKirsch what would you recommend in this situation? I have also been kicking around getting a Therimon XM50 but have limited funds to work with. Is there a cheaper priced thermal that would work for both or would it be better to bite the bullet and get both a scanner and a thermal scope? Your recommendation on say $4 to $5000 budget? The Helion XP38 that Varminter223 recommends is very good, but you are using up almost your entire budget on the scanner. However a person could go with that and digital night vision.

However, I would probably go with a Hogster-R 25mm as a scanner and a Hogster-R 35mm as your weapon's site, and then you've got thermal for both, and still be in budget.

The Thermion XM50 has a 5.5x base magnification and a 4.4x3.3 degree field of view. This is designed for long range, open field shooting. Definitely not ideal to be used for scanning. If you aren't in a hurry and want something in the Thermion lineup, Pulsar announced they will be adding a Thermion XQ38 and a Thermion XQ50 (best guess summer). I still would recommend a handheld scanner to use in conjunction, but they will probably be in the mid 2-3x range for base mag.

Thank You Sir

I have the Pulsar Accolade XP50 LRF thermal binoculars that I use as a thermal scanner. After installing Firmware 4.0 it became a truly fantastic device. But now I can't keep walking with a shoe and a hoof. I can no longer be forced to shoot with the green torch. In most cases, I can't even frame the target. I would like to buy a thermal riflescope, but I am undecided between the Thermion XM50, the Thermion XP50 (which perhaps can be used well with digital 2X after the installation of Firmware 4.0) or it would be better to still be patient and wait for the Thermion XQ50 .....
What do you recommend dear American night hunter friends?

It comes down to how much magnification you need and how much money you want to spend.

The XM50 is a 5.5x base mag and is designed for narrow field of view, and long range shooting. If you are shooting at a lot of closer targets or need to find moving targets, it can be difficult.

The XP50 is a great all around view. As you said because it is 640 resolution, you can start with a wide fov and increase magnification. However, if you would always be using higher than base magnification, then you should have gone with the cheaper XQ or XM options.

The XQ50 falls in between. It doesn't have the extreme range of the XM50 but most of the time you can shoot animals up to 200+ meters on base magnification.

For hog hunters, I would probably recommend the XP50, for coyote hunters the XQ50 or XP50, and for long range applications such as shooting fox at extreme range or open field coyote hunting, the XM50.

And what do you think of this device?

http://www.pard-tech.com/Products/Night-vison-scope/295.html

To stay inside the metaphor, is it closer to a shoe or a hoof? My Croatian gamekeeper guide mounts it (wrong because it is designed to withstand the recoil of a 308 as much as possible) behind a 2.5-10x56 Swarovski riflescope on the Tikka T3 Varmint rifle caliber 300 Win Mag with PMC 150 grs SP ammunition. With this setting I shot, at night, to a big hog at 165 yards and I finally took it!!!

But if I didn't have the scanner Pulsar Accolade XP50 LRF, I didn't see it, and without the LRF I couldn't measure the distance ...

Last edited:
I have never seen this device. However, once you have used thermal as a scanner, you may struggle using Night Vision for the gun. If you are worried about shooting the wrong game by accident, night vision is good, but in most other situations, thermal wins.

Most thermal scopes are rated to .308 and pulsar typically is more.

Back