Night calling firearm options

Indiyote

So I'm having to many runners with my 223 ar 16 in barrel. Thinking of trying something different but dont have a lot to spend. Should I
A) try a longer barrel and different ammo
B) get a different caliber like 22 nosler
C) get a bolt gun in 243 or 22-250

I use 223 with 16 inch barrel and have had same issue. I can tell you that I try not to shoot them facing me any more because I have had several take that 55 vmax right to the lower neck/upper chest area and do not drop. Sometimes I get them with follow up shot but usually they just spin around a few times and haul a—. Usually with me dumping the rest of the mag at em in desperation and disbelief. I am considering going with a different bullet for better penetration. Although I haven’t had a problem recovering them with a good shot behind shoulder with the vmax. My buddy uses 22-250 with a varmint bullet and usually crushes them when they are facing him. I think that their shoulders and brisket are pretty dense and my vmax might just be splashing on the bones and not getting the penetration for the head on shots. For now, I keep shooting till they stop moving. They are very tough.

I quit using 55gr VMax because of way too many runners. It got to where when a coyote dropped DRT I was amazed. Most ran, a lot were never recovered, and I looked pretty thoroughly for them.
I switched to Federal Fusion 62 gr. Much better results. Most are DRT, a few ran a little ways but nothing like I had with the VMax. I'm shooting both 16" and 20" barrels.

Last edited:
Been using 50 grain hollow points because I shoot fox occasionally and didnt want fur damage. Thinking of just going to a 243 or 22-250 and just giving the fox a pass. Have a 17wsm I can use on them

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-assemblies?spec_caliber=344&stock=2

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019957994

I've killed a lot of coyotes with various AR-15 calibers but Bear Creek makes it really simple with their side charging 20 inch 243 combined with midway's Dogtown ammo. Wait for your birthday discount at Midway and I think it's under $0.40 per round and it's sub MOA for five shots out of those 8 twist uppers. We have 2.
We mated ours to complete lower assemblies from Palmetto. In my opinion the side chargers can't be beat for a hunting rifle especially if you have to load and unload your rifle on every stand. I see they're out of stock but there's probably a good reason for that.
If I recall my rifle weighs 13.2 lb with no mag and a Trail xp50 on it.
If you do not reload and you want to stick with an AR-15 platform I would move to the 22 Nosler with a 22" barrel and it would probably be from White Oak Armament. We have a couple of those in 12 twist and they shoot very good with a lot of different bullets.
The bottom line is you've got to get into that neck shoulder nervous system area to shut them off drt even with the big stuff. 70 + grain bullets really pick up some slack though on lesser hits.

Last edited:
I started with a 223 using barnes 55gr or 50gr TSX, then went to a 22-250 using 50gr Vmax & in March '19 a 243 in ruger American youth model which I installed a slip on recoil pad for length. With scope & light is less than 6.5#. 75gr vmax & NO spinners or runners in the last 16 shot. Pelt damage is not bad if hit behind the shoulder blade & no exit if you hit shoulder blade or head! And another thing is, If I miss them on the 1st shot I am just throwing bullets with any follow ups..tehe

Last edited:

The 60 gr. V-Max anchors coyotes very well in my 16” AR. As far as changing calibers, if you stay with an AR platform then you might consider a 6x45 upper if you handload, or an upper in 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC 2 might be a good choice. If switching to a bolt gun, you will have a lot of options. The Ruger American might be one to consider in 6.5 Grendel or .243. Lots of choices to consider and it will basically boil down to your preference and where you hunt.

You should shoot what you have confidence in. More coyotes have been shot with a .223 than probably any caliber. However, with that said, I don't own one as I don't like the ballistics.

I also no longer shoot Vmax. They all shoot great groups for me, but have had too many splashes from .17 Rem up to 22-250. I like HP bullets. They open up but hold together a little longer than vmax. In my 22-250, I really like Berger 52 gr target HPs.

I agree with Rhett. 6x45 on an AR does a nice job. I load mine with 60 gr Sierra HP Varminter. I've heard the 6x45 called the Parvo by those who use it well.

Last edited:
Was thinking about trying 55 grain Sierra game kings, out of 16inch 223, if they shoot good group. Anyone have any experience with them? Was wondering if it would get better penetration than vmax

Last edited:
I shoot 55 grain Game Kings, #1365 in a 22-250. This is my coyote bullet. Very good performance from all angles. Very accurate in my Tikka T3. Never loaded them in .223 though. I just read Sierra website, this bullet is recommended for higher velocities like the 22-250 or swift. Just like other guys I had to many shoulder splashes with 55 grain V-max. I use it just for prairie dogs now.

Originally Posted By: 1loboI've heard the 6x45 called the Parvo by those who use it well.
DoubleUp named it that and has dropped a truck load of coyotes with it.

That is quite correct and he does use it well. He scores coyotes at long yardage and drops them where they're hit most of the time.

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Originally Posted By: 1loboI've heard the 6x45 called the Parvo by those who use it well.
DoubleUp named it that and has dropped a truck load of coyotes with it.

Any idea what bullet that he’s using?

Originally Posted By: IndiyoteSo I'm having to many runners with my 223 ar 16 in barrel. Thinking of trying something different but dont have a lot to spend. Should I
A) try a longer barrel and different ammo
B) get a different caliber like 22 nosler
C) get a bolt gun in 243 or 22-250

Why not a .224 Valkyrie with 75+grain bullets? Only reason I ask is because I am struggling with which 22 caliber AR platform to get and am seriously considering a V.

I shoot the Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic tips in the Parvo. I think the 58 V-max (which I use in the 243) would also do well as would the 60 gr. Sierra hp. I like to keep the speed up as much as possible to keep it flat shooting so that's why I don't go any heavier.

Originally Posted By: DoubleUpI shoot the Nosler 55 gr. Ballistic tips in the Parvo. I think the 58 V-max (which I use in the 243) would also do well as would the 60 gr. Sierra hp. I like to keep the speed up as much as possible to keep it flat shooting so that's why I don't go any heavier.

How fast do you get the 55gr out of the Parvo?

The last 2 coyotes and bobcat of mine fell to 55gn softpoints from Hornady. Bang, flop!

Rarely make it more than 25 yards in most cases.

Back