Choose my next rifle caliber for me

I've recently picked up a Stiller TAC30 action and Surgeon bottom metal way too cheap and decided i will save the bottom metal for my LR build and use the Stiller for a lighter weight calling/walking varminter with the occasional eastern white tail in between.

The question is, what would you guys do? Money in the build isnt an issue as I plan to use it for quite some time however, I dont want to have a super obscure wildcat caliber.

Any thoughts on caliber and what components you'd use? I.e. stock, barrel weight, caliber and twist?
I was thinking a Douglas #3 sporter 22 or 24" in 6mm something? Maybe a B&C Stock or a Grayboe Outlander?

Let me know how you guys would do it!

Already have a Sako .22-250, a ton of .223's, larger rifles like .270 and a mix of .30 cals. My Long range build will likely be a 6.5 of some sort on a Surgeon or Defiance Deviant action with McMillan A5 Stock and Barlein barrel. Given that, was thinking something in between the .22 cals and 6.5mm's

Last edited:
Sounds like you pretty much know what you want already. It doesn't sound like it is going to be a high volume rig and you don't seem to care about fur. So a generic 243 will do just about the same thing as any other 6mm wildcat on the .473 boltface, brass is common, no case forming, common dies and a ton of data all done already. I know, so boring but hard to beat.

Last edited:
I vote 243. I don’t like heavy guns that will be carried a lot & shot sparingly. I also don’t like long barrels in tighter cover.

JMHO..

Since doing a build, I say go with a 6 Creedmoor. I have a couple 6XC's but they were done up before the Creedmoor became popular. You already have a 22-250 so basically all the 22 cal stuff is covered.

If you were just buying off the shelf, I would suggest getting a Tikka 243

Quote: I don't want to have a super obscure wildcat caliber.

Commen but unusaual.
6mm/06.
NEVER in our lifetime would you run out of brass.
Ease to neck down.
I would run an R5 24' or 26" barrel with like a 1x9 twist.
Use a full charge of reloader 26 and push a 108 ish all copper bullet at close to 4000 fps.

Last edited:
243 or 243AI. Brass is easy to find and usually a lot of good choices in bullet weights. If you go AI, you could still shoot standard 243 if you were in a pinch. Mine had a Hart 9 twist barrel and would shoot 68 to 105's with superb accuracy.

In my opinion a sweet action and build like that is too nice for plain ol' 243. I'd be building a 6dasher or 6xc. If that's still too wildcat for ya I would go with the 6mmcreedmoor.

Were it me in your situation, it would be a .243 with 8-9 twist.
I have a Sav Mod 12 with a 9 1/4 twist that will stabilize 105
bullets but they have to be pushed hard. An AI version may be
desirable.

My personal favorite is .25-06 for multi-purpose, but I believe
you are working with a short action, right? A good bullet in
the .243 will kill any deer as well.

I am shooting a Tikka 22-250 that I am pleased with,that being said when the barrel is done it will turn into a 6MM Creedmoor just my 2 cents worth.There are lots of great calibers out there,

My Tac30 build is a 6x47L , Brux #3 8T @ 23", McMillain Hunter/edge.
It's my favorite sporter rifle.

It was built before the 6 Creed was around.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerIn my opinion a sweet action and build like that is too nice for plain ol' 243. I'd be building a 6dasher or 6xc. If that's still too wildcat for ya I would go with the 6mmcreedmoor.

Not laughing at you but the comment, "plain ol' 243". I think anything Creedmoor is or soon will be in the same category as plain ol'. But I agree about the action part, it need to be something nice and I'm sure it will be.

Last edited:
Well you could call the .243 boring ), I called the .30-06 boring once and it really offended somebody here.
I imagine after 110 years someone might call me boring.

Originally Posted By: pyscodog

Not laughing at you but the comment, "plain ol' 243". I think anything Creedmoor is or soon will be in the same category as plain ol'. But I agree about the action part, it need to be something nice and I'm sure it will be.

I'm in no way saying the 243 is not an awesome performer but it's one of those cartridges that everyone agrees they work. it's not as great of a conversation starter. "I made a 243" will bring agreeing nods whereas "I made a 6dasher" raises eyebrows and brings up questions about loads etc. Half the fun of a custom build is telling all your gun nut buddies about it.

We have a few 243's one AI, we have a 6mm creed. BUT Nothing out preforms my 6mm Rem mag...
That's why I put the vote for a 6mm'06

Originally Posted By: jetman6mm/06.
NEVER in our lifetime would you run out of brass.
Ease to neck down.
I would run an R5 24' or 26" barrel with like a 1x9 twist.
Use a full charge of reloader 26 and push a 108 ish all copper bullet at close to 4000 fps.[/size]

There's whoppers, and then there are whoppers, that one is a doozie!

Back