Creating another coyote junky

SnowmanMo

Administrator
Staff member
Back in 2017 I had the opportunity to help a friend and a veteran, learn the joys of predator hunting. My buddy Woody, a Marine, went out with me one morning and had one heck of a day. We called in a double on the first stand, and he bagged his first coyote, I nailed the second one. Then 2 stands later he dropped his first bobcat. That was a day that neither of us will ever forget. Now, Woody has been out with me a few times since. Each time it was good times. Woody has a wonderful lady in his life, Justine. Now she has heard us reliving those amazing hunting experiences, time and again.

20171021_092628 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

A couple of weeks ago, Woody texted me to tell me that Justine expressed interest in coyote hunting, and he was wondering if I would take her out? Like I need an excuse to introduce someone to our sport...LOL! So these past few weeks Woody got her geared up and ready to go.

20200208_102844 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

This past weekend, Justine and I headed out to make some memories for her.

We got nothing on our first stand. Not even any howlers. So we relocated to a stand where I had called in a bobcat the previous weekend. I started trying to get that bobcat in front of her. No sooner than I start the caller, and a coyote barks at us. I see it circling out around to get downwind. Unfortunately Justine didn't see it and it did not show itself again. So, we decided to relocate down around some farm fields.

I relocated us down to a big patch of desert surrounded by fields on 3 sides. We settled in with a patch of trees out ahead of us.
justin stand 2 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

No sooner than the echos of the first call just get back to us and we have coyotes howling all around. I knew we were in a good spot. I rolled some hand calls, but had not takers. So I moved into some bird calls. I spot a coyote slinking in from my right. I whisper to Justine and direct her to the coyote. She got eyes on it and watched as the coyote skulked around in the trees ahead of us. It moved from our right, to our left, and was moving back to our right. I told her to take a shot if she got it. I see the coyote start moving off so I dropped the volume and switched to another bird call. That got the coyote's attention and it came right back to where we first saw it. I asked her if she had a shot and she said she didn't. The coyote had stopped behind a tree and she couldn't see it clearly.
justine stand by Jason Mosler, on Flickr
She didn't feel good about taking the shot for fear that it might not make it through. I had no such concerns. When she said she didn't have a shot I took the shot I had. I could see the coyote's 2 legs and one shoulder. That was all I needed to figure out where to place my shot.

SHHHHHHHHHHWHAAAACK.....THUMP! Coyote down. But it rolled over and looked like it might be making a run, so I told Justin to take the shot. She jumped up, stepped out to her left and BOOM....BOOM! Dead coyote. I was glad she saw one come in and go down, but she didn't get to nail it herself. So we snapped a few pics and off we went.

20200208_102823 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

On stand #6, we called in our 3rd coyote. Justine saw it come out, and pose, but she couldn't get a good sight picture so she held off. I can appreciate a hunter who wants to take a clean, ethical shot.. I have no doubts that she will get her coyote soon enough. She is a trooper and seems to have the instincts of a true coyote slayer. Stay tuned...

20200208_102844 by Jason Mosler, on Flickr

Woot WOOT!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: derbyacresbobGood job on taking out the new predator hunters!
thumbup.gif

Thanks for posting the great pictures and the cool story!

Thank you sir

Welcome to our addiction!
Don’t worry, we won’t judge you. Lol

Welcome , there are many of good people here.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shooter222Welcome to our addiction!
Don’t worry, we won’t judge you. Lol

Welcome , there are many of good people here.

She's in good company here.

Back