Another Hogster Video: Almost

Kirsch

When you are hunting cold weather, batteries take a beating. I have been testing some different DVRs trying to find something I like. The main one I had been using is nice because it does wireless streaming and can capture video. However, it makes the icons and reticle blink and the battery life is bad. This had the potential of being a good video and just before the kill shot, the DVR died. Crappy luck. I hope to test some other solutions soon.

At least it gives the people thinking about a Hogster as a possible option another piece of coyote video to help make a choice. My hunting partner keeps using it as his scanner, so I have limited chances to use it on my gun.

Originally Posted By: case-nhWhat was estimated range that coyote was in? When the coyote turns because he caught a slight scent of the call, it was around 75-80 yards. I should have stopped it earlier. However after shooting hundreds of coyotes with my Flir PTS536 with 4x base mag, my brain is programmed to know exactly how far the animal is based on how big it is in the scope. I didn't realize it was as close as it was until it caught wind of the call. 2x base vs 4x base makes a big difference.

When I took the shot, I am estimating it around 110 yards.

Korey,

I’ve been searching for a dvr as well.
Since your getting some hands on looks could you give a quick run down of what you have tried and what your likes and dislikes are on those?

The blinking you mentioned was the main reason I’ve held off getting that one from NG.

Also I’ve found some battery packs with dual output usb’s, wondered about powering both the scope and dvr off a power pack.

The blinking one is not the NG DVR. Here is what I have tried so far:

TNVC/Night Goggles DVR: I had two arrive DOA. I sent them back and TNVC/Night Goggles was investigating. Teddy from TNVC said he had figured out the issue and I think they were getting replacement batteries and chargers. So, I haven't had a chance to test the NG/TNVC DVR.

FXT DVR
There is a lot to like about this unit.
Pros: Compact, Wireless Connection to allow streaming to a phone app, affordable, and simple to operate.

Cons: Very limited battery life, and requires RC power pack not standard 5V power pack. Also, if record by pressing record on the unit, it makes the icons and reticle jittery on the recording (at least on the Hogster). This does not seem to happen if recording via the phone app, but image quality is slightly less. However, at least on my iPhone, it recorded as .mp4 vs .avi, so by the time a person converts the .avi, it will probably be the same. There is no video screen, and if you start the recording before it receives a video signal, the recording will not work. Running the DVR with the wireless function which is the default, also lessens battery time.

Lumenier DX600 DVR
I saw some really good quality footage from Bering Optics and asked them what DVR was used, and they indicated this one. I have not done any coyote recordings with this unit yet.

Pros: Battery life seems to be longer and it accepts 5V power. Has a viewing screen, but allows it to be turned off. It has a remote control, and recording quality seems good. It also has a microphone and records external audio. I've recently discovered it comes with a toggle switch that allows the unit to be off, and by pressing the toggle, as long as the record switch is in the right position, the unit turns on, and starts recording automatically. It takes about 5 seconds from the point of pressing the switch to recording, but it takes no more user interaction.

Cons: No streaming, and comes with a very long video cord. I tried finding a replacement cord and quit trying after 2 different shorter cords off Amazon didn't work.

The idea of running dual power from a battery pack to the DVR and scope is something I have contemplated as well. Dual chargers tend to be 20,000 mAh or higher capacity so they tend to be fairly large. Anker has a 13000 mAh dual and Aukey has a 10000 mAh dual and then there are some smaller off brand ones as well that are a little smaller. This should work with the 2nd DVR, but you get to the point of how many wires does a person want going everywhere.

Another potential consideration is the Hogster comes with dual power/video cable since they share the same port in the scope. I have a question in to Bering Optics about this, but when running external power and doing video recording, I get some noise on the recording. I don't know if I have a bad cable or if this is just what happens when running power and video via the same cable.

Sorry if my question is a little off topic. I kindly ask Ohiolongarm and Kirsch .... can you show 2 videos of night hunting for coyotes or foxes with the Pulsar Thermion XM50 and with the Thermion XP50? I would like to compare them with the hunting video with Hogster-R 35mm, since this device cannot be purchased in Italy for ITAR law. In particular, after Kirsh's suggestions, I am moving towards the purchase of the Thermion XM50. I don't think I can wait for the thermion XQ50 to go on sale. Who knows when we can see it in Italy!

Kirsh, when using the hogster is the PIP always twice the magnification of the full scene or can I keep the full screen on the lowest power and the PIP on the highest? On my trail, I can keep big screen on 2.1 for greater fov and keep the PIP on 8.4 for taking shots. I thought I noticed in some of the videos that PIP increased 2x the magnification of the full screen on the hogster.

Originally Posted By: VanceLet us know what they say about the dual cable and getting noise when using power and video together. I will let you know as soon as I hear back. Also, the Lumenier DVR and the Hogster both come with male RCA video ends. I have been using a female-female connection, and will try a better adapter to see if that may be part of the problem.

Originally Posted By: Ernest49Sorry if my question is a little off topic. I kindly ask Ohiolongarm and Kirsch .... can you show 2 videos of night hunting for coyotes or foxes with the Pulsar Thermion XM50 and with the Thermion XP50? I would like to compare them with the hunting video with Hogster-R 35mm, since this device cannot be purchased in Italy for ITAR law. In particular, after Kirsh's suggestions, I am moving towards the purchase of the Thermion XM50. I don't think I can wait for the thermion XQ50 to go on sale. Who knows when we can see it in Italy! I don't have a Thermion XM50 or XP50, so I can't produce this video at this time. Sorry. I would search YouTube as there are lots of videos of various thermals.

Originally Posted By: ToroKirsh, when using the hogster is the PIP always twice the magnification of the full scene or can I keep the full screen on the lowest power and the PIP on the highest? On my trail, I can keep big screen on 2.1 for greater fov and keep the PIP on 8.4 for taking shots. I thought I noticed in some of the videos that PIP increased 2x the magnification of the full screen on the hogster. The Hogster's PIP is always twice the full screen magnification. Yes, it is different in this way from Pulsar but still works.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: VanceLet us know what they say about the dual cable and getting noise when using power and video together. I will let you know as soon as I hear back. Also, the Lumenier DVR and the Hogster both come with male RCA video ends. I have been using a female-female connection, and will try a better adapter to see if that may be part of the problem.

So what we need is a RCA female to what a 3.5mm ? What plugs into the dvr at the AV IN port?

If you use the included cables from Bering Optics and the one from the DVR they both have male rca connections. You would need something like This unless you could find a different cable. The Lumenier takes a 2.5mm video feed. I tried a few shorter cords off Amazon but they didn’t work.

You can always give Bering Optics a call and see if the have any recommendations for a direct Hogster cable. Many DVRs have different connections as well.

Originally Posted By: KirschOriginally Posted By: VanceLet us know what they say about the dual cable and getting noise when using power and video together. I will let you know as soon as I hear back. Also, the Lumenier DVR and the Hogster both come with male RCA video ends. I have been using a female-female connection, and will try a better adapter to see if that may be part of the problem. I received an email back, and they indicated sharing the same cable is the issue. They may not include the dual cable in the future, and the customer would have to choose if they want the scope connected to the battery pack or the DVR. The new connectors I tried didn't help.

Back