6.5 Grendal Chambering

cjg_beef

So I have a 6.5 Grendal I put together. It seems to have an issue with chambering the first round. I usually have to slide the charging handle back after the first attempt and hammer it home. I took the barrel out and the bolt and ‘chambered’ a round without any issues. I believe I’ve narrowed it down to the extractor. It’s almost like the extractor is too tight that it has a hard time ‘popping’ around the rim of the case while chambering if that makes sense. I’ve tried both of the 6.5 bolts I have and both seem to have the same issue. Is this common? Do they just need to be broken in?

Originally Posted By: GLShooterFactory ammo? Do you have the insert in the extractor spring?

Greg

I took the insert out when I was troubleshooting. I was thinking of maybe trimming the spring down a bit because it seems very stiff even without the insert. What do you think?

Not common imo. Are both bolts the same make? Try polishing the face of the extractor, and I suppose it's possible they used a 223 extractor by mistake?

Does it close up fine without chambering a round?

I've not had that issue but I can say it might be a good $2.00 experiment. Does the extractor dig into the case head during extraction tearing up the brass?

I'm guessing the bolts were identical and will accept a case head easily when you have them out of the gun snapping the case into the bolt face.

Greg

There is a Ejector mod which can help feeding with AR-15 cartridges with larger case heads than a standard 5.56/223. Here is a link, might not be your issue but there is no downside to doing the mod.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014...ger-cartridges/

Another issue is where the feed lips hold the cartridge to low where the top cartridge has difficulty feeding. Some people alleviate this problem by trimming the front top edge of the magazine. Sometimes the mouth of the brass cartridge edge hangs on the top of the mag before completely entering the chamber. Some people lower the front top edge of the magazine. Another option is to gently raise the end of the feed lips to allow the cartidge to raise a little while being pushed forward.

Some people have better luck with certain brands of magazines. I have original C Products, ASC and E-Lander 6.5 Grendel mags. All my 6.5 Grendel mags function but I had failure to feed with one new 24 round ASC mag. The mag always failed to feed from the non ejection port side of the mag. I compared the feed lips of the faulty mag to my good mags. The non ejection port side feed lip was lower than all my other ASC mags. I carefully bent the feed lip to match my other mags. The faulty mag has functioned properly since tweaking the feed lip.

I have yet to purchase any C Products Defense 6.5 Grendel mags but all brands of 6.5 Grendel mags seem to have lemons hit the market. Some feeding issues can be attributed to gas issues whether over or under gassed. I mark all my mags so I can identify if I’m having trouble with a particular mag. I suggest buying 6.5 Grendel mags from vendors with good customer service in the event you get a faulty mag.

I have twenty eight AR-15 6.5 Grendel mags that work in five different 6.5 Grendel AR-15’s.

If your extractor isn’t snapping over the rim, you either have too much spring pressure, or insufficient bevel on the front face of the extractor. The latter has been quite common, I’ve seen incorrect bevel on at least the last 8 Grendel bolts I have bought, from various sources (2x bolts x 4 rifle builds).

Originally Posted By: VarminterrorIf your extractor isn’t snapping over the rim, you either have too much spring pressure, or insufficient bevel on the front face of the extractor. The latter has been quite common, I’ve seen incorrect bevel on at least the last 8 Grendel bolts I have bought, from various sources (2x bolts x 4 rifle builds).

That is exactly right. I would GOOGLE extractor polishing and go with that. Basically you are going to smooth the face of the extractor that hits the case to allow it to snap over ad gently round the horns on each side of the extractor taking the sharp tips off, I will also break the 90 degree under shelf the extractor groove VERY slightly. Also make sure the ejector is not too high in the bolt face and I also recommend that you round its edges as mentioned above.

I pulled up a thread on the 65 Grendel Forum. Go down a couple entries and look at the picture links. It is a very good presentation on results you are looking for. The fellow writing it is very knowledgeable in this area.

EXTRACTOR WORK

Greg

Haven't had a chance to hope back on until now but thank you guys for the tips! This gives me something to look for. I believe it is the bevel that is insufficient.

Ended up grinding a small bevel on the edge of the ejector as suggested and it seems to have done the trick! Thanks for your help!

I ended up doing the same thing with my extractor and solved the problem. Strange thing was that I never had an issue with Hornady brass. When I switched to federal, I started having the issue

Back