Ritchs Precision Guns

Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#3232965 - 02/10/20 11:30 AM Budget Barrel
mysticalflight Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: Kentucky
I have built several AR's over the years. I am wanting to build a fairly cheap calling, truck, and/or beat around gun. Those I have build have usually been in the sub 3/4" to 1/2" MOA. I am wanting something in the coyote MOA. Stainless or carbon steel doesn't matter. 16-18" non h-bar preferred. Thanks in advance guys.

#3232986 - 02/10/20 12:41 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: mysticalflight]
steve garrett Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: tx
I think in almost every situation you are going to have trouble beating a RRA barrel. They sell barrels by itself. The only problem is their barrels are going to be a bit heavier than maybe you want. While not listed on the website maybe they would sell the barrel the X1 rifle comes with that is fluted.

beyond that, the best lighter weight off the shelf barrel I have tried was a criterion hybrid contour

#3233002 - 02/10/20 01:42 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: mysticalflight]
Plant.One Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Oakland County, MI
whats your budget? that'll help folks help you pick the best barrel for the $$ you have to spend on this project.

#3233017 - 02/10/20 03:23 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: mysticalflight]
crapshoot Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: Henderson,Nevada,USA
Check out the equipment exchange on arfcom and pick up a take off.

Average response time for a 911 call is 10 min.
Average response time for a .45acp is 900FPS.

Remember, if you're not pissing off a liberal......You are one!
Ted Nugent

#3233026 - 02/10/20 04:31 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: mysticalflight]
Coyote-conquest Offline
Predator Master

Loc: Kentucky, US
I like Faxon. I've heard Ballistic advantage are good too. I believe they are part of Aero.

#3233030 - 02/10/20 04:52 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: mysticalflight]
varminter .223 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: south central Illinois
Bca

#3233229 - 02/11/20 07:24 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: varminter .223]
BleedsBlue Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: S.E. Indiana
Originally Posted By: varminter .223
Bca

I 2nd the recommendation of BCA/AR Stoner. They exceeded my expectations for the price. Much better than any stock A4 barrel that I have had.

#3233250 - 02/11/20 09:22 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: mysticalflight]
Coyotesilencer Offline

Loc: Utah
CDNNsports has DPMS lite weight barrels $49 carbon steel, $79 stainless. They are 1/9 twist that shoots most of the common bullets well just not the heavy bullets like 70+gr. I have a couple buddies that I have helped zero there's and they had respectable accuracy.

If I was looking for something else for a well rounded do all AR it would be a Socom profile barrel with midlength or rifle length gas, 18" .

I have 4 BCA barrels, one is a heavy barrel, 18" and it is a 3 moa shooter with good ammo. The others are sporter barrels and decent shooters. BCA has a 1MOA guarantee on rifle barrels so I need to send it back.

#3233646 - 02/14/20 12:08 AM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: mysticalflight]
crapshoot Offline
Retired PM Staff

Loc: Henderson,Nevada,USA
Quote:
Dpms AR barrel 16" 1/9 twist new unfired comes with barrel nut hand guard retainer, A2 flash hider, railed gas block.
Asking $70 shipped.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...;gonew=1#UNREAD

Average response time for a 911 call is 10 min.
Average response time for a .45acp is 900FPS.

Remember, if you're not pissing off a liberal......You are one!
Ted Nugent

#3233667 - 02/14/20 10:12 AM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: mysticalflight]
cjclemens Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: IL
I used to like BCA, but the last couple I got from them were really bad. I ended up sending them back. I definitely can't recommend them anymore.

AR Stoner has actually been pretty good to me, so far. Fit and finish on them are fair. All of the ones I've ordered had good crowns and chambers were in spec. They've all shot very well, too.

#3233671 - 02/14/20 10:46 AM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: cjclemens]
SlickerThanSnot Offline
PM senior

Loc: stuck in a fence
Originally Posted By: cjclemens
I used to like BCA, but the last couple I got from them were really bad. I ended up sending them back. I definitely can't recommend them anymore.

same here. the last one i got from bca looked like they used a blemished upper receiver. terrible looking receiver. how they let something like that be sent out is beyond me.

i called and emailed numerous times. they never answered the phone and did not return emails. terrible customer service.

after about a month somebody did finally answer the phone and i got an ok to return. then never heard anything for weeks. finally got somebody to answer the phone again. yeah, yeah, yeah, it had not even been sent to the service techs yet. terrible service.

after several months i did get it back and it looks ok.

did i mention terrible service?

#3234616 - 02/19/20 02:53 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
cjclemens Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: IL
Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot
same here. the last one i got from bca looked like they used a blemished upper receiver. terrible looking receiver. how they let something like that be sent out is beyond me.

i called and emailed numerous times. they never answered the phone and did not return emails. terrible customer service.

after about a month somebody did finally answer the phone and i got an ok to return. then never heard anything for weeks. finally got somebody to answer the phone again. yeah, yeah, yeah, it had not even been sent to the service techs yet. terrible service.

That's a bummer. They were actually pretty quick to authorize a return for me, but the barrels I got were so bad that I can't even imagine how they got shipped out. The barrels I've gotten from them in the past have been decent, especially the Glock replacement barrels. Something has definitely changed there.

On the other hand, AR Stoner barrels from MidwayUSA have always been pretty good to me. I've used several to build uppers for myself and for friends and family. All have been consistent in quality and have shot far better than price would suggest.

#3234620 - 02/19/20 03:28 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: cjclemens]
varminter .223 Offline
Die Hard Member III

AR Stoner has actually been pretty good to me, so far. Fit and finish on them are fair. All of the ones I've ordered had good crowns and chambers were in spec. They've all shot very well, too.

I'm pretty sure BCA Supply a lot of the AR Stoner barrels and receivers Etc.

#3234621 - 02/19/20 03:31 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: SlickerThanSnot]
varminter .223 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnot

I must say I've had the exact opposite experience with BCA. I've ordered a lot of stuff from them and I have got a couple barrels with bad crowns and just sent back a side charging carrier that the hole where the bolt goes through the back was a little too loose so the gun wouldn't cycle. I had had this bolt for a couple years and I've always had weak cycling.
You just got to look things over when you get it. They almost always have answered the phone. They always answer emails within a day or two and they've never given me any static about returning anything.
The other day I ordered a side charging carrier and they got one number in the part number wrong and I got one of those little threaded receiver plugs. I called them and then they wanted me to email them pics of what I got and the packaging. As soon as I did they sent me out a complete BCG. Everything I've gotten from them has been accurate you just have to look things over. Anytime you have anything being sold that cheap and mass-produced there is going to be lemons. All it takes is one QC guy that doesn't do his job and a whole company can look like crap.

Edited by varminter .223 (02/19/20 03:34 PM)

#3234628 - 02/19/20 04:21 PM Re: Budget Barrel [Re: varminter .223]
Yellowhammer Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Huntington, Texas
I had good luck getting a Palmetto State upper for about $250. Shoots minute of hogs and coyote just fine.

Bear Creek Arsenal has some cheap prices, but don't have any experience with them. I do know a guy who got one of their 350 legend uppers and he said it shot real good.

https://www.bearcreekarsenal.com/upper-assemblies?stock=1

They have complete uppers as low as $214

Edited by Yellowhammer (02/19/20 04:21 PM)

"No prize is greater than the effort taken to acheive it"

- Aldo Leopold, The Father of Wildlife Management

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  SnowmanMo 

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.