Most people on a stand?

zr600

My cousin and I are going calling tomorrow and I was thinking about inviting my buddy I know he has the week off, do you think 3 people on stand is to much? Will it reduce our chances or does it not really matter?

I've taken 4 extra once, and we did get a couple coyotes, but I prefer 1-2 people.

As Tripod said, it is difficult to keep everyone still.

3 can be an advantage I think if you are all disciplined to cover separate areas, and have someone well downwind if possible.

Originally Posted By: crapshootIve called with more. Take em if you enjoy the company and Comaraderie.

I'm with Crapshoot. If YOU feel comfortable, take'em, and good luck. If you have any doubts, about you, your stand set up or any of them, then don't.

We have taken out 6 people before. 3 adult working with 3 kids and we had no problems. But the 3 of us are very experienced hunters and I teach hunters ed.

Have fun!

3 people is fine. I wouldn't spread out too much, mostly for safety concerns. Call in a hard charger things can get western really quick. Careful where you're shooting.

Interesting...I have never had much luck with more than 2 people, but I actually prefer to hunt by myself. Hard to control movements of others.

I've been on stand with as many as 7 of us. That included a couple of non-shooters, a couple of cameramen, and 3 shooters. I much prefer many fewer on stand, but we killed coyotes with 7 on stand.

Well nobody was able to make it out cousin had to work, buddy had a dentist appointment. I tired but couldn’t get done the back roads to get to where I was going snow was to deep. Very disappointing morning. Two of the spots I checked but couldn’t get into I seen magpies flying around when I was glassing.

Last edited:
Them's the breaks.
frown.gif

I call with three pretty regularly, and have called with four enough to know that it's a bit more complicated, but doable if they're relatively decent hunters. If you're going to use an ecaller, set it up such that the incoming coyote shouldn't have direct line of sight to your group. If hand calling, all had better be like statues or the caller could ease off to the side a little to shift the focus to only one person rather than all.

I suspect all are not predator hunters.

Explain the sit still/quiet rules to em and have a good time.
First guy the moves and scares one off buys lunch.

Lol actually my cousin and I hunt together all the time, the other guys is a big time deer hunter his whole life and shoots prairie dogs a lot just hasn’t been out coyote hunting. He is also a very good shot and knows long range really good just never got into calling yet, he wants to though.

I personally prefer 2. but we called this weekend with 4 (3 shooters and my buddies son who wanted to hunt with the guys which is what its really all about) and had no problem calling in a dog on every stand. killed 9. missed 3 on running shots that winded us due to swirling winds.

Back