Recommend me a good scope for a 22LR Bolt Gun

Burnsome...

Looking to top off another 22 rifle inbound. Something with a BDC or holdover dots for distance shots.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Is this going to be a paper puncher or are you going to hunt with it?

If hunting with it the 22LR is going to run out of steam pretty quick so you don't need near the X's as for a paper puncher.

I have an 8-32x scope on a paper puncher and a 1.5-6x40mm on one for hunting.

What is long distance to you?

What is your budget?

Last edited:
It'll be for a paper puncher and gong pinger mostly. 150 yards max with mostly 50 yard shooting.

I use a 3-9x40 on another 22 rifle and its fine for my needs.

I usually sight in at 50 yards and ping metal at 100 and 150 occasionally

would like to keep it under $250-$300

Last edited:
Burris works well for me. Fullfield and Timberline models, 4.5-14 and ballistic plex reticle. Timberline more compact and more generous eye box. Use them on centerfire and rimfire.

Lots of good choices. I mostly focus on a 1" tube model for better clarity, light gathering, etc. I don't get hung up on 150 yd pararellexvs typically 75 yd one for 22 s ... just me.

Wow! For $50 that Bushnell A17 looks like it's worth a try especially if your shooting a 17. Anyone know how well the dials work?

I'm not a knob turner, but I do use that scope on a 22lr. If I remember, there is a knob included with the scope for 22lr.

Originally Posted By: Burnsome...Originally Posted By: Sock PuppetI now have 2 of these and find them to be excellent for the price.

https://www.natchezss.com/burris-droptin...8-er-matte.html

Thanks. Ordered one

I'm betting you'll like it. To my eye the glass is the same as the FFII line, weight is reasonable, eye-box is friendly, and the reticle is just right for a .22 Here's one on my Ruger 77/22:
Wiy2Xy7.jpg

Last edited:
I do like it Sock Puppet. Seems like a very nice scope!

Will get it mounted up this weekend on a CZ455 Tacticool 22LR

Thanks for all the suggestions

Rimfire scopes gets interesting because it can depend on your rifle too. Ive went through a lot of scope because the old marlins are 90 degree throws with BIG bolt handles that stick up too far for most ocular lenses (even in high rings). I have found the Nikon Prostaff rimfire II to have a low profile ocular that works on my Marlin 783 and 780 as well as my dads CZ 452. The plus to dedicated rimfire scopes is the parallax is set at 50 instead of 100 yards and click value is suited for 50 yard zero. BDC is generally calibrated for a 40 gr .22 LR load as well.

Never owned a Vortex but I recently picked up a StrikeEagle 5-25X56 FFP with an EBR-7C (MIL) reticle specifically for the ability to parallax at 15yds, reticle, zoom range and FFP. Figured if it didn't track, I could at least use hold over. Clicks leave a lot to be desired if that's your thing, but with the EBR-7C in MIL or MOA...you really don't ever have to dial.

I must say, I'm highly impressed. It's probably a little overkill for most, but I'll use it for the occasional NRL22 match.
It's just sitting on a Savage MkII but with Eley Target, it'll stack inside a dime at 50. A sliver over a quarter at 100 and it's 7.3mil to 200yds and 13.6mil to 300yds. The reticle has MIL hashes down to 10 MIL so I just dialed 3.6 and held on the 10 MIL hash and let'er rip

Back