Adjustable gas block?

Tgunz64

If I want to use a suppressor with an AR should I get an adjustable block? I have my gun apart and need a low profile block anyway for my new quad rail. Came across some things suggesting an adjustable block. What are your thoughts? Thanks.

weather or not you'll need one will depend on a bunch of details about your configuration, as well as your caliber, etc.

generally speaking - it cant hurt to have one there - but putting your upper back togther without one may end up with you being in a situation of overgassed, possibly quite badly, when shooting suppressed.

so since there's no down side to installing one added to the possibility of needing one once you do go suppressed, you might as well order one and get it installed now to save tearing things back apart later if you find out one is needed.

HTH

Tgun 64,

What length barrel are you going to use and what length is the gas system?

I have one suppressor that i move around to 4 different rifles that are very different.

Originally Posted By: arlaunchTgun 64,

What length barrel are you going to use and what length is the gas system?

I have one suppressor that i move around to 4 different rifles that are very different.

Just the stock 16” barrel and gas tube.

My most accurate 16 inch barrel has a carbine length gas system also. It responded very, very well to this Tubbs Spring

I put a JP clamp on style adjustable gas block on it also. It shoots very smooth. You don't even blink after it is fired.

I had another carbine that i solely shot with only the Tubbs spring and nothing else. That worked satisfactory. If you are on a budget that is a good option.

Another option is to get a Bootleg or Gemtech adjustable Bolt Carrier Group. Don't mix that type of BCG with with the strong Tubbs type springs though. Go back to a regular buffer spring.

For a hunting gun i like my adjustable gas block. I have it tuned all the way back so it will barely lock the bolt back on an empty magazine. The problem with this is that it will not cycle at all unsuppressed. That is fine with me as it is a hunting gun only. And i will never shoot it unsuppressed again.

I have a Bootleg BCG and that is a very good option for rifles that you want to go back and forth with as it adjusts very easily. You do need a screw driver though... The Gemtech version does not require any tools.

You can get a more simple type adjustable gas block that can be operated easily for changing from suppressed to unsuppressed. The problem with those is you need a shorter hand guard than i like.

Which brings up another problem. Hand-guard selection and gas block clearance.

You have to think of an adjustable gas block as a disposable item. They just can't last for ever. To have moving parts in that type of environment is good engineering.

For a fighting rifle i recommend a pinned gas block and a mid length gas system on either a 14.5 or 16 inch barrel. Or a rifle length gas system with an 18 inch or 20 inch barrel.

The pinned 14.5 inch barrels are a nice way to go as you normally need to use Rockset or some like material to ensure your flash hider/break does not come loose. A pinned and welded attachment guarantees that.

I have a 14.5 inch mid length that shoots suppressed very smooth. No other modifications.

You will find different powders have less gas than others. AR-Comp has noticeably less of a gas kick than some others.

I think differences in suppressor brands can also make large differences. My surefire can shoot a carbine/carbine system very comfortably with only a Tubbs spring and AR-Comp powder.

blah blah blah

I ordered the Superlative Arms adjustable clamp on block. Got high reviews so I went with it. Lots of options out there though.

congrats on your adjustable gas block purchase. when you go to tune your new adjustable block, i suggest going for minimum setting to achieve last round bolt hold open + just a little bit. That way you should be able to shoot your gun both suppressed and unsuppressed without any adjustment.

let me pose some food for though.

one thing you have to consider - most (production grade) 16" carbine gas barrels are intentionally overgassed out of the box. even unsuppressed. manufacturer's would rather have a gun run a little hard to makeup for people using crappy ammo or lack of proper maintenance than to have to deal with tons of warranty claims as well as the internet black eye they get for their firearm not functioning well. seeing as thats probably the most common entry level configuration out there, better to make that first time buyer happy that their gun always goes bang while they learn the platform than the opposite. so dont be shocked if you have to dial back quite a bit before you get it set to where you want it.

as arlaunch mentioned there's a couple ways to go about correcting this - that being tuning your lower or tuning your upper.

I've always favored on the tuning the upper tract for one simple reason - unless you have a dedicated lower, your tuning may well interfere with the operation of another upper on that lower.

by tuning your upper to work with a more standard configuration lower (standard spring, carbine or h1 type buffer, etc) you can easily swap calibers/uppers and not have to worry about them not running on your specially tuned lower, or having to remember to bring different buffers/springs with you to the range to swap around.

likewise, if you were to transfer your upper onto another non-tuned lower, you're back to facing the same issues you started with.

im not suggesting that either method of firearm tuning is *wrong* or *incorrect* in any way.

simply that tuning the upper to properly manage the gas flow leaves you a lot more flexibility than tuning the lower to manage an overgassed system does.

HTH

I will look up that brand.

I wonder if you are stuck running a 7 inch hand guard then?

I just can't do that because i have a 1200 lumen Surefire light for night shooting and i like to put the rifle on a bipod sometimes also.

Thats a little congested.

Plant.one gives good advice. I recommend tuning the upper with a good gas block. I bought a superlative gas block to tame the gas for a suppressor and found it to be a good quality purchase, though a bit pricey. I later discovered one sold by mentium usa that is also quite good and less expensive. Either block will fix your over gas issues and make your gun quieter and more accurate. The accuracy improvement comes from less recoil, less noise, and less gas in your face. It also comes from a smoother moving upper. You'll be glad you put on an adjustable gas block. I have them on uppers with long and short hand guards. I took an allen wrench of the appropriate size and brazed an extension on it so I could adjust the block with the long hand guards and suppressor in place. It works fine. I haven't had to use it much though. Once you've got a good load and have your upper set you shouldn't have to change it much.

Back