Question on a FLIR 64 hand held thermo.

NDAR15MAN

Folks.... I think I posted a question like this 6 or 7 years ago and was hoping some new technology has come out along the way . Do they make a bracket or a attachment that I can put on my FLIR 64 hand held thermal unit on and wear it and scan as a helmet or a hat or hard hat unit / device ? I was hoping some one has come up with some ideas that would work.Your thoughts and ideas please. Thanks. Marty

NDAR15MAN,

I don't have an answer but I will tell you what Tom Austin told me. I have zero experience going hands-free. When the Hogster came out, I was determined to find a way to run it hands-free. I thought what a great option, a small thermal that can be used hands-free, as a handheld scanner, and a weapon's sight.

After figuring out what I thought I needed to put it all together, I asked Tom will this work. His answer was, yes it should all work together. However, just because it would physically work, doesn't mean you should do it. He said due to the weight of the Hogster, and the counter-weight required, it would feel like your head was being squeezed in a vice. After he told me this, I decided to drop the project.

My experience may not apply to your situation, but it may. Most compact thermals could somehow be MacGyver'd into a solution whether it should be or not.

#1 Its too heavy. Can you do it? Yes. Will you like it, No.
#2 It's too big, you can't wear it and then switch to a gun without it getting in the way unless you take the time to either Rotate it out of the way or remove it. Can you do it, yes. Will you like it, no.
The FLIR Breach is designed to be used helmet mounted but I have never tried it.

Last edited:
FLIR M-24 640 30 Hz works great.

M24%20Helmet%20Front.jpg

M24%20Selfie.jpg

Folks. Thanks for the good advice here. I never really thought it out much on the weight on your head. At age 60 now and both knees replaced I am always trying to figure out how to TRY to make things easier. I hunt 2 nights every year. Ha ha ha. Sad all this equipment. I go once early in year and find out just how bad off I am with these knees ( 1 knee replacement did not turn out well , scar tissue ). Then it takes me about 70 days to forget how much I was hurting from the first night I hunted. Ha ha ha. You younger guys hunt why your in good health because your health can change in hurry. Thanks again for the good advice here. Marty

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: igorshow him your selfie stick set up I use mine while sitting, but a selfie stick helps take the pressure off your arms and shoulders whether sitting or standing. The selfie stick on the right side of the image is at the shortest position and can extend about 2x that length. I like to have mine resting on my leg and just rotate it as I am turning my head. My hunting partner just uses it short. Either way, the lower your arm angle is, the less stress it puts on your arm/shoulder.

I am also testing the use of a Primos - Monopod - Trigger Stick (left option). The short version would not work well for standing, but does a nice job for sitting. It is about 3x more expensive than a selfie stick, but the short model works pretty well for me. At the shortest length, the bottom can rest on my leg/lap, or if I extend it all the way, it can rest on the ground. I keep my hand on the pistol grip, so it is higher than with the selfie stick but because it is totally supported by the stick on my leg or ground, it still takes the pressure off my shoulder/arm. I have only used it twice this way, so still trying to decide if it is an improvement. It is bigger and bulkier, but it also is easier to deploy. I believe for about 180 degree scanning, it is probably better, but I can scan a larger area with the selfie. The short version of the trigger stick didn't come with a 1/4" plate adapter, so luckily I had a tripod version of the trigger stick which came with a plate, so I used that one.

selfie_stick.jpg

Mine is certainly heavier but this old guy probably doesn't walk as far. Plus I can extend it and use it as a crutch on the way back (joke). I do occasionally stalk pigs 400-500 yards and just use a lanyard. I like the tripod because I can set it down safely and transfer to weapon mounted on a tripod
CrFDx6l.jpg
eYBCmqd.jpg

Kirsh.....Igor..... thanks for the great pictures. Great idea for us old guys and even young guys.I will get me a stick of some kind and do some practice with it this spring.
Thanks. Marty

Last edited:
Back