Chokes for t shot and buckshot

Easttnhunter01

Looking at getting a choke for one of my shotguns to coyote hunt with... I just bought a super Vinci and I’ve got a 935 Mossberg. I plan to continue to use both of them for turkeys, plan to swap chokes back and forth... My question is do any of you use turkey chokes with your coyote loads?

I have an extended Turkey choke that I patterned with 6 shot Federal Turkey loads, lead BB and 4 Buck. It shoots all those very well.

I asked the manufacturer (Trulock) if OO would work and he said the .670 tube might be a bit tight for OO Buck but to give it a try. The turkey tube works well with the cheaper Remington express OO buck loads but not near as well with the high end Federal OO buck. I guess the higher end Federal OO buck loads have harder shot that may need a little less constriction.

Originally Posted By: GCThe Benelli Vinci and the Mossberg use the same chokes and are interchangeable?

Thats what i was gonna say....those 2 guns are threaded way different for chokes so far as i know.

Yes, there is that very long thread about all this, linked above.

What does the term ‘turkey choke’ mean? it’s usually a reference for a very tight choke, .660” or so for relatively smaller shot. for T & #4 buckshot I’d go a tad more open, .675 or .680” depending on the barrel.

My M2 is set up with a .675” and the back-bored Browning Gun is .680. This is for mostly T shot but secondary #4 Buck.

Yeah, the real testing is done with the cardboard. My hunting chokes are usually the ‘Precision Hunter’ extended from Trulock. I do realize there are other great choices available.

Constriction from bore size and type of the shot is where you begin. After that it's all about the patterns on paper.

Back