Rem. 1187 Super Mag Predator/Turkey cycling problem

CallingArkansas

My 1187 will not cycle a shell after the first shot. I have discovered that the interceptor latch is not releasing the next shell from the magazine tube. Tried a new latch and no change.
Can someone give me advise as to what might be keeping the latch from releasing the next shell? When I pull the bolt back the first shell cycles fine.

It’s been cleaned with latch and spring assembly taken apart to make sure no foreign object was preventing it from moving. I’ve even changed out the latch. Still same thing.

Thanks

Did you replace the latch spring too? A better question might be, is there a spring present? I have seen them disappear a time or two.

Last edited:
Didn’t change latch spring. It is in place with tension. The gun has probably less than a box of shells shot through it, but I bought it new several years ago.

WMS thanks for your imput.

Had same issue sent it back to Remington they sent it back with the same issue. I sold it and stated it had issues

My 1187 would not cycle light loads until it had several hundred rounds through it. The gas ports are smaller on the magnum guns to help deal with the higher pressures. My gun would eject the non-magnum empty but wouldn't open the bolt quite far enough to activate the shell latch to enable the next round to feed from the magazine tube. You didn't state what type of ammo you are shooting but the above was my first thought since the symptoms are exactly the same as I had.

GOOGLE--"1187 won't cycle", seems like you aren't the only one with that problem. Maybe if you read through those threads you can figure out the problem if the knowledgeable guys on here can't put their finger on it.
I would guess that BobT might have the answer to your problem, they do work on gas pressure, my AR would not cycle some of the lighter loads I tried in it even though they would cycle in a buddy's AR.
If my memory serves me correct, didn't some of the older semi shotguns have O rings, or gas ports, or something similar, that needed to be switched out for HI or low brass in order to cycle properly, I don't think the 1187 Super Mag. has that option though.

My 1986(I purchased it new) 1100 special purpose would not run steel shot. My gunsmith opened the gas port in steps, at 11% increase in port size it would run 3" steel. Had him stop there because at that time I ran 3" lead buckshot for predators and I didn't want the rear of the receiver getting hammered. 1187 have a different gas sealing system. 1. Make sure the gas port is clear of finish material. 2. Replace the o-ring/seal. Lubricate as instructed in the manual.

Back