Picking a suppressor?

Brad Phillips

So you spend your money and wait. If you only have one, chances are that you like it. If you have more than one, you will eventually buy one that you are less than impressed with. Then what ?

Well I have several cans now and I can say that not one of mine that I'm less than impressed with. Maybe I got lucky I don't know.

Then you're pretty much stuck with it. The used market is mostly nonexistent, because it still costs the new owner $200 for the tax stamp and you can't recoup the $200 you spent on the original tax stamp.

I've never been impressed with any suppressor on a pistol. I have one that I have been using on a rimfire rifle and a 300 blackout (and there is better options for both) because I thought it was worthless on the pistols. I'm going to give it another try once I get my hands on a Henry x- rifle, but until then I wish I had spent my money else where.

Originally Posted By: Brad PhillipsSo you spend your money and wait. If you only have one, chances are that you like it. If you have more than one, you will eventually buy one that you are less than impressed with. Then what ?

You will eventually buy one that you are less than impressed with, IF you shoot enough. How many is enough? Maybe just buying a few will tell you what you like and don't. It took me about the first 3 before I could tell what was good and what wasn't.

My suppressed handguns have beem fantastic, as have my rifles. Please share with us the name if these garbage suppressors so we don't make the same mistake.

Originally Posted By: barkThen you're pretty much stuck with it. The used market is mostly nonexistent, because it still costs the new owner $200 for the tax stamp and you can't recoup the $200 you spent on the original tax stamp.

I've never been impressed with any suppressor on a pistol. I have one that I have been using on a rimfire rifle and a 300 blackout (and there is better options for both) because I thought it was worthless on the pistols. I'm going to give it another try once I get my hands on a Henry x- rifle, but until then I wish I had spent my money else where.

Originally Posted By: rudymontanaskinney-- So what brand of can is your favorite??

I'm very partial to a select few for what we do! I've got a very "in depth" podcast that goes over a lot of suppressor details!

Brad you just better bite the bullet and get it over with!
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: C.JayMy suppressed handguns have beem fantastic, as have my rifles. Please share with us the name if these garbage suppressors so we don't make the same mistake.

Originally Posted By: barkThen you're pretty much stuck with it. The used market is mostly nonexistent, because it still costs the new owner $200 for the tax stamp and you can't recoup the $200 you spent on the original tax stamp.

I own the AAC Ti-Rant 45m. I attended a bachelor party where we did some shooting, there was 6-7 different pistol cans there. Two that I took notice of were the Dead Air Ghost m and the Silencerco Osprey. My opinion is that they were all louder than I wanted. That's why I'm looking to try a pistol caliber carbine and see how that performs.

My current favorite can is the AAC Titan-ti. Yes it's heavy and yes it's big, but it does an amazing job at mitigating sound and recoil from 243 win. to 338 Lapua mag.

My most shot can is the Lane Scorpion 556 (full titanium). It seems like it's just the perfect combination of size, weight, and suppression, and works equally well on ar or bolt guns.

What suppressors do you have?

Thanks for the reply, right now I have an Elite iron .223 and also their rimfire can. Have a .30 cal in jail and two Rebel .223's in jail also. Before everyone hacks me to pieces over the rebels, I plan on a write up on them and bought them for a very specific purpose.

I also have an elite iron can in 308. The nice thing with those cans is if you can't kill what you're shooting at, you can just beat it to death with the suppressor. I had never heard of Rebel Silencers. I look forward to your review.

Originally Posted By: C.JayThanks for the reply, right now I have an Elite iron .223 and also their rimfire can. Have a .30 cal in jail and two Rebel .223's in jail also. Before everyone hacks me to pieces over the rebels, I plan on a write up on them and bought them for a very specific purpose.

I almost tried a Rebel 223. I'm really curious to see your write up on them.

Ha, this is very true!!! Was thinking of a second bipod just hold up the can!!!

Originally Posted By: barkI also have an elite iron can in 308. The nice thing with those cans is if you can't kill what you're shooting at, you can just beat it to death with the suppressor. I had never heard of Rebel Silencers. I look forward to your review.

I had the opportunity to shoot a Silencerco Maxim 9 today. It was tough to say how quiet it was as it was an indoor range. There was a guy shooting a 9mm about 4 stalls down from me. I would shoot a couple rounds then he would shoot a couple rounds. We went back and forth like that for 50 rounds. The difference in sound was simply amazing. The people looking through the windows said they could just barely hear me fire. They told me that if they hadn't been watching me they would not have really known that I fired.They said they almost needed ear plugs when the other guy fired. I would like to shoot one outside before I part with my money, but I feel like this might be the best suppressed centerfire pistol I've heard. Has anyone else had a chance to shoot one of these or compare it to other suppressors?

I came here in 2011 to ask the same question. The answer was a Specwar 7,62.
I use my Specwar on many of my firearms AR15, AR10, AK47, and my CZ's.
I have never had gas problems with any of my rifles.
My Specwar did 11 months in jail. When I had forgotten about it they called.
They do not make them anymore. People want lightweight suppressors.
I will stick with my Specwar and a big thank you to members for your help in 2011.

Back