Accuracy of velocity data printed on Hornady factory ammo box?

Pirogue

I don't have access to a chronograph. On the box of Hornady Precision Hunter 243 Win, 90 gr ELD-X, a BC of .410 and muzzle velocity of 3150 fps is stated. How accurate can I estimate this to be out of my Tikka T3x? Thanks

Nobody on the planet can accurately answer that question.

Chrono's cost less than a Friday night at the bar.

I normally just throw mine out on the ground 10 feet in front of me and shoot prone right over the top of it.

Note the temperature outside. It can make a large difference.

I would imagine chronographs are about like everything else; you get what you pay for. I'm not looking to shoot long range, nor have a custom scope dial for every 30 degree temperature change. Just looking to see if a +/- 10 or 15% variance from the box data would Be in the ballpark. I'm too old to hold steady for distances longer than 300 yards anyway. Thanks

Again, to many variables to answer your question accurately. We did test some in my nephew's savage and it was darn near spot on (within 30-40 fps). Just dumb luck though. Only way to know is a crony.
I picked up an old beta here for under 100 bucks. May not be the best but still better than just guessing.

I would "ballpark" and say your ammo is 100 fps, or less, than published velocity. Some ammo will be more than 100 fps, depends on a lot of factors, course you already know that.

Piro,

Welcome to the club here.

You really are better to just believe in the best numbers possible. Sight your rifle in for 50 yards.

Then check your drop (or height above the bulls eye at 100 yards and possibly 200 yards) by holding dead on, with 3-5 shot groups at 100 yards, 200 yards and 300 yards.

I wish i had a .243 to play around with!

There is a way to figure it out without a chronograph.... using an app like Strelok Pro, or some other ballistic calculator you can build a drop chart based off the velocity printed on the box. take it out and test out to 500 yards with it making the directed adjustments on the drop chart. measure the difference between Point of aim and point of impact and then you can enter that data into the program. once you do that you should get a more precise velocity from the App.

I have a Tikka T3X .22-250 and a chrono.
As an example of factory ammo at advertised 3800 fps with drop chart.
The chrono averaged 3770 with a high of 3855 for years.
Recently the price of that ammo took a big drop in price and the chrono readings have changed to a range of 3615 to 3775.(maybe Mexico)

Back