Whats your answer for hung up dogs?

BigGrizz

It's been out of the game for a while and life has slowed back down where I can get out and call again.

Had a group of 3-4 hang up in the distance earlier. My CS24C is down so we were using hand calls.

Started with a howl, went to cottontail distress and followed that with another set of howls. The second set of howl calls generated a response from what seemed like a big male and his pack.

Never got them to break any closer even when trying to mimic them with a serenade type sequence and ki-yis. They were a LONG way off, but when they first responded they were much closer.

I'm inclined to think they were coming to the cottontail distress after the initial howls and were only threatened and retreated after subsequent calls.

Thoughts? What's the normal go to?

Pup distress seems to get an interested dog to commit. Ive watched more than one hung up or even trotting away turn and come right in when I switch to pup sounds . Probably doesn’t do you much good with hand calls though

I had one return the howl, close the distance and hang up at about 400yds. It kept barking at us and calling us names but we were in the shade and he/she was in the sun. I hit it with every pup distress I had (which is about 15 different ones on my ICOTEC500 [200 sounds on it] and finally got it to come running in.

If at all possible to do it without being spotted either back out and come in at another angle or sneak in closer and call again.
If closing the distance does not work and all other calls have been tried get mean.
Get on the howler and do some aggressive challenge howls. If it's a pack of Coyotes then the odds are you are imposing on their turf and they will want to come run you off.

If foxpro, try female sub or red fox distress, those are the two aces under my sleeve. Sometimes a real light distress like woodpecker or mouse will pull them out of cover.

Originally Posted By: YotarunnerIf at all possible to do it without being spotted either back out and come in at another angle or sneak in closer and call again.
If closing the distance does not work and all other calls have been tried get mean.
Get on the howler and do some aggressive challenge howls. If it's a pack of Coyotes then the odds are you are imposing on their turf and they will want to come run you off.

Pushing closer has been a go to in the past. We never spotted them, but the terrain was not all that conducive to moving closer because we had competing vantage points- the dogs and us both had high ground compared to the terrain between us.

I really wanted to try it, though.

I don't recall a time when I've had coyotes howl back and then have come in.

When I howl, responding coyotes come in quick and quiet, at least for me.

Back