Who stuck the lightning rod up their [beeep]???

Rock Knocker

Coyotes have been wild this month! I started hearing them show up where I live starting February also.

I haven't heard this much howling in years, same with responses to my howling.

They're still smart, I haven't gotten one to stop running yet, all the warm weather put a nice crust over everything they can travel easy and fast and they definitely prefer to travel.

I will try my little electric decoy tonight but it needs to be modified because nothing notices the stock twirling cotton ball.

Has anyone else noticed a difference? I know it's right around their mating season but most Feburarys, towards the end of the season, things are pretty wore out.

The full moon in January for me was great. After the full moon I didn't see or have a single howl back. Now this week, there is a full moon again. I have gotten 4 and have heard howling everytime out. Hoping tonight to be good. Good Luck out there.

I had 3-4 howl at me a couple nights ago, about 20 seconds after I shot one of the group. I was in an old barn, 2 opened up about a mile away. The group in the grove in front of me responded, I estrus called twice. 2 came into the old field lane through the grove. 1 stopped and I shot it at 35 yards(suppressed 22-250).

When you say estrus call is there a fox pro sound you use? There's two, if I remember correct, female whimper and female sub in my foxpro that I have seen work on some real stubborn coyotes.

I forgot to even grab my foxpro last night and was happy to have luck with my hand calls.

Coyotes really have lost their minds this week. I haven't seen them this stupid since before foxpro became a household name.

4 stands and 3 coyotes tonight. 10mph+ winds and they are still coming through the open from upwind. Our last stand was just us two dressed completely dark in the middle of a snow field and they're still running around the open like drunk lemurs.

My photography skills will suck the beauty out of anything, so I take few.

Here they are this morning, darker female on top, bigger male on the bottom, my buddy got another male he brought home with him.

49521773676_47ffee458a_c.jpg

That male is my new long range coyote record at 180 yards, reaching sniper territory... Usually they are in our face under 50 yards but they were out in the open basking in the moon last night. All three were over 130 yards.

That male was kind of strange too. When I first started howling his response was some confusion between a bark and howl, a howl that lasted as long as a bark, my buddy thought I had fumbled a call on the foxpro. It came out of a swamp about 150 yards away from the truck, ran downwind and across our fresh tracks out in the open oblivious to the world seconds after starting the call.

Was the male worth skinning? The female looks rubbed bad. I have an open reed call that I use for female sounds, chirps,barks,whimpers. 2 yesterday one in the ear at 225 yards sleeping about 10am. 2nd about 9:40 pm. Red light over a bait.

I've got to dig around some more but I think my open read howler might have fallen out of my unzipped pocket. A few days ago I used it to call in a coyote and now I cant find it, I'm going to have to go back to the custom call section.

The male is better off, the female isn't great.

Back