Compare 204 with 17 Rem

parson

Anybody have real life experience comparing the 204 with 17 Rem. While I have a 204 that works great on prarie dogs I have not used it on anything different. Factory ammo has not impressed me but recently loaded up some 35 gr Berger’s and am impressed on paper. Been itching for another 17, have had a couple but on paper doesn’t seem to be any advantage but am wondering about larger game like coyotes. Anybody that has used 17’s on coyotes know they are the cats meow especially the almost impossible to get 30 gr. So my question, anybody use both on coyotes and if so is there really any real life difference. Hope you talk me out of buying another 17

If you haven't tried the 204 on coyotes I would do that first before passing judgement and buying a new rig. The 20cal bullets seem to hit way higher than their weight class when it comes to dropping coyotes.

Have had both calibers in question, both did fine when I did my part. Currently have a 204 that my wife shoots and I sold my 17 remington for a custom 17 tactical. Went the 17 tac route due to being able to make brass from 223. In my opinion they are both good but having said that you need a good 30 grain 17 cal bullet. I am using my stash of todd kindler 30 golds and I have some 30's that montana mize made with todds dies. After this I will prolly goto chan's bullets. Good luck

I've used the 17rem and 204 for coyotes, for 5+ years. My 204 is now AI, but the commercial cartridge itself is just fine for coyotes. I'm not posting any of this to sound arrogant, just giving you a bit of my background...

I average about 100-120ish coyotes alone, a season. I don't know how many I've killed with my 204 or 17, but I've never lost one. I can remember multiple 400-450yd shots with my 204 and DRT. Ackley improving it made it that much sweeter. My 17rem I have sold last year, but it was nothing against the rifle or cartridge, I just got offered a great deal. I would never, and will never, have any problem taking either to a stand with me and be very confident doing so. I'm with you 100%, I'll always have a 17 center fire in my safe. But I'd be lying through my teeth if I said the 204 didnt have advantages over the two

The advantage IMO, is as mentioned above, the 204.. Factory loads in a 204, are somewhere around 4200fps. You'll have a heavier bullet than the 17, shooting just as flat and just as fast, but hitting harder down range. It's a win win situation. But I'm by no means dogging on the speedy 17. I'm only trying to give you my experience with both.

Both do great on fur, if that's your intention. They both handle coyotes just fine with factory ammo, and excel with handloads, again, if that's your intention. So if I had to choose one or the other, I'd have to choose the 204. The 20cal will just have more spunk down range. I'll admit that's nice to have too, we're all human, and can't always thread the needle.. Good to have some backup. I hope any of this helps.

Last edited:
I bought my first .17 Remington 40 years ago. There were like two choices of factory bullets for reloading back then, not the powder choices that we have now, and cleaning gear was practically nonexistent. But I fell in love with the round. While I have taken prairie dogs over 400 yards with it (451 being my longest) it is much happier at 350 yards and under where it does well. I have never tried any 30 grain bullets with it for the pasture pooches so I cannot comment about them. Since about all I shoot nowadays are ground squirrels it does this very well.

When it comes to "outchonder" shooting my .204 is better for sure. Lots more oomph at the longer ranges. Shot a 400 yard badger a couple of years back with the 32 grain bullet and he was dead at the hit or only moved a foot or two before expiring.

I was a bit reluctant to even buy a .204 when they came out but sure do enjoy mine. It's wearing it's third barrel now so yeah- I guess I shoot it quite a bit. No safe queen here.

But being an old softy I will always have me a .17 Remington I guess. Way fun, way effective and not everybody has one. Good enough reasons for me. Especially the fun part.

You're spot on Rust. I can't help but have a sweet spot for a speedy 17. The 204 just has a little more spank at long range.

"Outchonder" LOL I laughed. I like that, I'm stealing it lol

Austin, while I have not shot anywhere as many coyotes as you I have dropped a few. Going back 55 years while living the Sierras of California I shot more with a 218 Bee factory 45 gr than all other combined. In that sage, probably never shot one past 125 yards. Never missed, never more than one shot, never lost one and never had to go looking for a wounded one, but they were small, doubt ever had one over 20 pounds. Now in west central North Dakota they are bigger and further away. My .222 with 50 gr Hornady SX does just fine on anything at any reasonable range. But trying to reach out a little further I went with a 25-06 and 257 Weatherby not being concerned about fur until prices have gotten high enough to make them worthwhile, so my reasons for considering something else

I absolutely understand. I love the 218 bee, awesome cartridge, same goes for the 222.

I'm born and raised in Central Missouri, I'd have to say I average about 25-30lbs coyotes. I've been all over out west and up north hunting fur, I even lived out in Wyoming for awhile. I totally understand where you're coming from, much bigger coyotes and sometimes one hangs up at 400+ and you have to have the spunk to get him.

If you're wanting to get a fur friendly round, and for your location.. I'd say you'd be fine with a 204. I wouldn't hesitate, as I've done it multiple times.

The extra punch from a hot 22cal would be something I'd definitely consider as well. I personally shoot a 223AI and a 220 swift when I know a high percentage of my shots, COULD be, 400+. That 204 will do it at that distance, no question. But a smoking 22cal definitely gives you that much more of an advantage. But it sounds like you've got that covered as well with your 222.

By all means, I think you'll be absolutely satisfied with either choice here. But I'm just giving you my opinion from shooting those big structured coyotes, I think the 204 will definitely be a better suit. But again, my opinion is all it is. Whatever you decide to do, I hope it stacks the fur for you!

Last edited:
As much as I love my 17's, I think the 204 is more practical. I have several of both cals in different cartridges. I believe the 17 is more fur friendly, but good bullets can be hard to find.

Originally Posted By: parsonThanks guys, I think you talked me out of buying a 17, if I live to regret it I can blame it on you

laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: B23No rules, at least not yet, that says you can't have one of each.

Right again, Bryan. As if one of each stopped for us at having only two varmint guns, eh? I may not buy any more of them as safe is too full (wife says no more safes) and shelves bulging with ammo and reloading supplies. I need to live long enough to shoot what I got now. Hope I can.

Originally Posted By: parsonThanks guys, I think you talked me out of buying a 17, if I live to regret it I can blame it on you

You do realize that this whole thread is going to die with that kind of attitude!
scared.gif

So in the interest of the battle between the 204 and the 17 I will profoundly declare the 17 the winner.
closedeyes.gif
Best fur round on the market in any of its caliber forms. If its long distance shooting needed then there's the 17 Predator and the 17-204, the latter being the best of both worlds, but still using the 17 bullet.......which is the best.
smirk.gif

Now the thread can continue.
glare.gif

Lots of great feedback here. I love my 17 Remington's, have two of them. But, I have been a 220 Swift fan since the late 70's and my Swift will probably always be my "go to" varmint caliber because it is so darn versatile. Having a 220 Swift, 223, 222, 17 Remington and 22 Mag in the safe, I have the smaller calibers covered for what I do. My problem with the 17 Remington has nothing to do with the caliber, it has to do where I live. Here in Central Wyoming we get a lot of wind during the winter. Wind is not a friend to the 17 Rem and I have had coyotes I let walk with it where had I been carrying my 220 Swift, the shot would have not even been in question.
So, if I did not have the calibers above already in the stable complete with all the reloading dies and lots of brass, bullets etc., I would no doubt have a 204 Ruger. But, it makes no since for me to split hairs and put one in the barn at this point.
Besides, the 17 Remington is just so darn fun to shoot and see the bullet hit what you are shooting in your scope!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiAs much as I love my 17's, I think the 204 is more practical. I have several of both cals in different cartridges. I believe the 17 is more fur friendly, but good bullets can be hard to find.

I would say that Junki nailed it. The 204 is a coyote slayer. I have used it with 45gr soft points and it's a hammer. Not too happy with the 32gr VMax. But the 17 Remington is a very fur friendly round and when you put it where you need it, it WILL put down a coyote. Its just not as forgiving with a less than ideal shot pacement.

This winter I have had 17 rem,20p,204r, 22-250 in the truck. If I don't shoot the 250, I usually shoot the 17 rem. But I have a large stash of 29-30 gr bullets. The way a fast 17 bullet kills is crazy, and the fur buyer never complains. If I had to sell all but one, I'm keeping my 17 rem.

Originally Posted By: WyoBull I love my 17 Remington's, have two of them. But, I have been a 220 Swift fan since the late 70's and my Swift will probably always be my "go to" varmint caliber because it is so darn versatile.

Any .220 Swift lover is OK with me! But yeah, as a handloader you can load the Swift full throttle ohmygoddidyouseethat down to .22 Mag speeds. I have loaded it way down but...what's the point? I dont load my Swift full power much anymore as I dont need to. But deeply implanted in my brain is the total now you see it now you dont hits on prairie dogs. A 40 grain Vmax driven at 4400 FPS on a 80 yard desert pooch is something to behold. Head, feet and a tail is about all you will find. Spectacular tosses.

Back