Hunting the wind opinions

Shooter222

Custom Call Maker
I have been in a slum as of lately..
As a long time deer hunter I always believed wind in your face and face towards where you expect to see deer.

Since picking up the wonderfully bad habit of coyote hunting I have been forced to kinda rethink hunting the wind.

I have been mostly only hunting properties when a crosswind is present. I have noticed they seem to never come in with the wind .

I would like to here how you guys set up according to wind .

(I did a search and didn’t come up with much)

Generally, with electronics, I position the call, so a coyote can follow the path of least resistance to be able to come and try to get downwind of the call. When they are almost downwind of the call, the coyote should be directly in front of the hunter or hunters with no chance of winding the hunter.

By allowing a coyote to naturally come to the call versus forcing it do something it doesn't want it to do, I personally believe they don't "hang up" as often. Most people would probably term this calling into a crosswind. I rarely, if ever, have the call directly facing the wind. If I am, then I am sitting off to the opposite direction of where I believe the coyote will approach to get downwind of the call.

On nearly calm days, all bets are off.

Kirsh summed it up well. You gotta give the coyote some of the call wind with decent access and have him perforated before he gets downwind of you. Any coyote that has been messed with will show up or circle downwind of the call. On occasion we get a dumb one that blows in with no regard for the wind but it isnt often. A lot of people may not share this information but I hate to see guys get frustrated cuz I've been there and still visit there occasionally LOL. Most e-collars don't have enough remote range to allow you to get far enough down wind of the call that the coyote can't still get behind you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223Kirsh summed it up well. You gotta give the coyote some of the call wind with decent access and have him perforated before he gets downwind of you. Any coyote that has been messed with will show up or circle downwind of the call. On occasion we get a dumb one that blows in with no regard for the wind but it isnt often. A lot of people may not share this information but I hate to see guys get frustrated cuz I've been there and still visit there occasionally LOL. Most e-collars don't have enough remote range to allow you to get far enough down wind of the call that the coyote can't still get behind you.

A totally agree and will add that whenever possible I like to deny them a way to back door me (road, pond, etc.)

Agreed..... And then on them perfect stands when you can deny them a back door you're at the mercy of the wind and mud on the nights you can hunt. Those perfect stands are few and far between so don't be afraid to push the envelope a little bit as opposed to stay home and sit on the couch but expect things to go wrong on occasion just part of the game. I will also add when it's dark out don't be afraid to pick up and move on them if they howl and give up their location or show up a ways off where you think you can keep your wind off their noses. I think that's what appeals to me about this game it keeps you on your toes thinking about the next move. By the same token it's like that ol hung up Tom.... many days it's best to just come back and see if his attitude is different tomorrow.

Last edited:
Don’t be afraid to think OUTSIDE THE BOX ! On occasion I might be hunting facing the wind but I cover my backside too !
In an ideal setup you should always be able to shoot your downwind side !!! In reality it doesn’t always work that way in my area due to darn houses being in my way, lol. I have been busted numerous times ! Your better off to pass on those sites if conditions aren’t perfect ! Changing wind conditions are our worst enemy ! Acquiring as much property around the area will help you change to a better setup location.

It is very challenging especially for those of us that don’t have wide open spaces to watch them come for thousands of yards. If it were easy I wouldn’t have anywhere to hunt, lol ! Love the challenge !

Thanks to all you guys for helping!
I have been spending a lot of time looking at onX maps and looking at wind directions and ways to setup for different winds.

The cross wind setup has been what I bee trying to do mostly. I’m gonna try and allow them a path of least resistance to get to call . And I’m gonna pay more attention to where call is placed .
Setting the call “up-crosswind” is something I’m gonna try more next time

https://ibb.co/n6b8HDk

Would you guys wanna give me ideas on this set?
Coyotes are known to be in East woods.
I’ve shot one off this set . I hunted it cross wind, had a wind blowing directly to north. Winds like that are not normal here. Predominantly blow to the east

Korey- I called Tom twice today , ended up leaving a message about a hogster.

Last edited:
Back